• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jan Ullrich

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
That took quiet long, after Jan showed in last weeks that he is still alive (some interviews+projects), and even complained about this ****ing procedure.
Today is a great day anyway. Perfect timing. lol

CAS to rule case on 22.08. :rolleyes:
Of course, one of their favorite sad Ullrich propaganda-pics included by media outlets. :eek: :D
After 5 years there could be a decision. lol

802425aa46a4e0486111a99ad3ad6dae.jpg

http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/23072011/73/ullrich-verhandlung-fuenf-jahren.html

Cobblestoned said:
That took quiet long, after Jan showed in last weeks that he is still alive (some interviews+projects), and even complained about this ****ing procedure.
Today is a great day anyway. Perfect timing. lol

CAS to rule case on 22.08. :rolleyes:
Of course, one of their favorite sad Ullrich propaganda-pics included by media outlets. :eek: :D
After 5 years there could be a decision. lol

802425aa46a4e0486111a99ad3ad6dae.jpg

http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/23072011/73/ullrich-verhandlung-fuenf-jahren.html

I saw this article earlier along with a mention that Astroloza will have a hearing even though his suspension is up. I really don't understand why these cases are even being brought to the CAS. I guess the lawyers have too much free time on their hands and want to be able to bill their clients even more.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Highlander said:
I saw this article earlier along with a mention that Astroloza will have a hearing even though his suspension is up. I really don't understand why these cases are even being brought to the CAS. I guess the lawyers have too much free time on their hands and want to be able to bill their clients even more.

With the new regulations, riders coming back from suspension can't add UCI points to their teams for 2 years. Regardless of whether this is fair or not, it just creates the conditions for more litigation.

The case will not be decided on Aug. 22. It will be heard on that date.

The ULlrich case was filed at the CAS in March 2010. No one ever answered my questions as to why it took to so long to schedule a hearing.

The Astarloza case is similar. I don't know when it was filed, but presumably (long?) before the suspension expired.

The problem seems to be more with delays in scheduling the hearings before the CAS than in delays in filing appeals.

Susan

hrotha said:
Is that quote about Ullrich? It can't be. No one could seriously suggest Ullrich ever arrived in good shape at the Tour after 1997.

That's bull**** sorry.

Ullrich was in absolute prime shape in 2001 for example. He was at his absolute best. But he rode with Hamatokrit 43. But in terms of hsape he was perfect. The Ullrich of 2001 was the best rider without blood manipulation in history!

Bavarianrider said:
That's bull**** sorry.

Ullrich was in absolute prime shape in 2001 for example. He was at his absolute best. But he rode with Hamatokrit 43. But in terms of hsape he was perfect. The Ullrich of 2001 was the best rider without blood manipulation in history!
And that's why he invariably failed in the first mountain stage and got better as the race went on.

Bavarianrider said:
That's bull**** sorry.

Are you absolutely positively sure he wasn't riding with a good pint of extra blood, at that 43 Hc?

I'm prepared to believe Jan was the greatest physical talent ever, but not that he gave up on all forms of blood doping when the first EPO test arrived to the scene.

Frosty said:
Well the discussion was about 2001;) Given the history of the sport i agree with your general scepticism on him riding with no blood manipulation though.
It was about Ullrich arriving at the Tour in top form year after year. Or something. Honestly I'm not very sure anymore! But I do believe Ullrich was probably clean(ish) for a while. Still, all I have to go by is that IM convo between Andreu and JV, which has proven to not be entirely reliable. I think other sources (D'hont) have been mentioned?

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Ullrich was in top shape in 2003 also.

He wasn't in the 49 HCT club, that's why he only won one tour. The rest is just nonsense propaganda and smokescreen.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
cromagnon said:
Ullrich was in top shape in 2003 also.

He wasn't in the 49 HCT club, that's why he only won one tour. The rest is just nonsense propaganda and smokescreen.

Ullrich was at the end of one of pro bike racings physiological milestones. The old school that he was a part of thought to carrying a lil' extra weight early season and racing and training it off during the early weeks was standard practice.

He was always a ball of mush at the seasons start by most modern standards.
As races with decent money are offered in the US, Australia and Middle East early in the season there is almost going to be no off season. If cyclocross continues it's rise among hobbyists the pro season will probably also get longer and spread all over the world. When China and Brazil start hosting big events bike racing will be a 12 month season.

If Ullrich was racing now his Michelin Man appearance would have not been part of his standard uniform.

Does anybody know where to find the Hc levels of all the tour finishers? Is the math really this simple? Guy with the highest level wins? Did Jan's winter kasekuchen intake lower his levels?

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Does anybody know where to find the Hc levels of all the tour finishers? Is the math really this simple? Guy with the highest level wins? Did Jan's winter kasekuchen intake lower his levels?

Hct is only one aspect of physiology that impacts performance, therefore even at 50% Hct you can still perform worse than someone at 40%

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
function said:
Hct is only one aspect of physiology that impacts performance, therefore even at 50% Hct you can still perform worse than someone at 40%

I agree, unsure why so many people find the number to be the only or most important figure when comparing bike racers. Ullrich's weight,depression and other problems would be on surface as big factors to his success and failure as hcrit level

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Ullrich still lost time in the first mountain stage in 2003.

I can believe that Jan was overweight entering into the 1998 TdF but still came second to a coked-out, polycythemic, EPO-laden Marco.

Where are the facts that Jan was chronically overweight? Does someone have access to all the TdFs that Jan entered and his physical and blood plasma parameters? Just wondering right.

There are a lot of maybes in the 'urban myths' that Jan was undertrained and overweight. That is not to take anything away from the commitment that his main rival had; extreme dedication to winning one race.

Really, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but could someone chirp in and help us all out with some facts about Jan. I have been asking for years if anyone knew of his Vo2 Max, what about his weight, LBM, HCT/MCV... over 1996-2006?

NW

TRENDING THREADS