• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jarlinson Pantano Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clement was on the De Avondetappe, having sharing some nice anecdotes.

- Last year, Pantano apparently got an offer from another team, for two years, for twice the salary, but refused because he was happy at IAM
- This year, after winning the stage, Clement had given Pantano's phone number to the criterium organisers (or something like that), then Pantano got a call from the president of Colombia, and he was all happy, then he got a call from some crit organiser, was astounded by the amount of money they payed, and went on to hug Clement :D

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
One of the winners of the tour I think, and with that descending skill he is a great plan B.
Love this rider!
Don't think he's a classification rider, but he sure won me over with his performance.

And a stage for Colombia, pure class this guy

Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
PremierAndrew said:
Is he any good at TTing?
Not really.

Not too bad, either.

Fantastic rider, he has really become one of my favourites in the peloton. His ride and stage win in Suisse was great and his performance at the Tour has been amazing. Always aggressive and attacking and one h*ll of a descender. His climbing has really improved this year as well. Hope he can keep it up.

He was 21th in the flat itt in Algarve as well which isnt too bad.

It's hard to say because he has rarely been in a position gc wise where he would be motivated to go all out in a tt. In Suisse he was really good yes, but that was very bumpy and also technical

He reminds me a bit of the young attacking Contador - will be interesting to see who becomes the team leader at Trek in the next few seasons. He could learn a ton from a rider like Contador on how to race, attack, and be unpredictable. He seems like he could become a spoiler type of GC rider...

Re:

Red Rick said:

- Last year, Pantano apparently got an offer from another team, for two years, for twice the salary, but refused because he was happy at IAM
- This year, after winning the stage, Clement had given Pantano's phone number to the criterium organisers (or something like that), then Pantano got a call from the president of Colombia, and he was all happy, then he got a call from some crit organiser, was astounded by the amount of money they payed, and went on to hug Clement :D

Also during the stage that Pantano won it was Clement that had to tell him that they ride for Pantano, but Pantano wasn't convinced he could do it and said to Clement "your the best, we ride for you!". Clement didnt want to hear it and knew Pantano had a better chance, but only lacked confidence.

Kwibus said:
Red Rick said:

Also during the stage that Pantano won it was Clement that had to tell him that they ride for Pantano, but Pantano wasn't convinced he could do it and said to Clement "your the best, we ride for you!". Clement didnt want to hear it and knew Pantano had a better chance, but only lacked confidence.

I love inside stories like these about Pantano. Warms my little heart!

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Kwibus said:
Red Rick said:

I know a story of pantano as a begging u23 rider in uci aigle team he was amazing. won many races and was asked back of course to the team but pantano, despite his amazing succes, was do depressed by riding and living in europe that he never wanted to return to europe. he did though with colombia es passion and got several offers from major european teams but again didn't want to go to a european team, not until last year. I think he still has a lot of margin to grow.

Ryo Hazuki said:
Kwibus said:
Red Rick said:

I know a story of pantano as a begging u23 rider in uci aigle team he was amazing. won many races and was asked back of course to the team but pantano, despite his amazing succes, was do depressed by riding and living in europe that he never wanted to return to europe. he did though with colombia es passion and got several offers from major european teams but again didn't want to go to a european team, not until last year. I think he still has a lot of margin to grow.

Based on his Tour performance I think he has plenty of margin to improve. It's the way he races. He gives it everything.

fauniera said:
QUkzvlv.jpg
He even has a sense of humor too - hope we see more of him in the coming years.