• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jay Vine discussion thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, i'm quite interested in the role he'll be getting at UAE. If those numbers he mentioned are true regarding his FTP, he's right there among the Pogacar's and Roglic's. But in the Vuelta it seemed like his recovery isn't the best. Are they going to use him as a Kuss 2.0 domestique, can he keep going for stages as he's been doing, or do they want to mould him into a GC rider? I see he's going with Almeida to Algarve, that could be interesting.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah, i'm quite interested in the role he'll be getting at UAE. If those numbers he mentioned are true regarding his FTP, he's right there among the Pogacar's and Roglic's. But in the Vuelta it seemed like his recovery isn't the best. Are they going to use him as a Kuss 2.0 domestique, can he keep going for stages as he's been doing, or do they want to mould him into a GC rider? I see he's going with Almeida to Algarve, that could be interesting.

I think the way he won his first Vuelta stage, there's no doubt that he is up there on his day.

I think he could be a GC rider but it's very crowded on UAE.

I think the way he won his first Vuelta stage, there's no doubt that he is up there on his day.

I think he could be a GC rider but it's very crowded on UAE.
Yeah, but i'm not convinced he has the recovery for 3 weeks, maybe just for 1 week races. In the Vuelta he took it very easy before his first stage win (he was already down in GC). Then by his second win he had dropped even further in GC, and that win was not as easy anymore, while he wasn't fighting GC riders unlike the first time, just fellow breakaway riders. After that, it went downhill fast.

And the fact that they indeed have Pog, Almeida and Ayuso makes me wonder about which role they'll give him.

Last edited:
Yeah, but i'm not convinced he has the recovery for 3 weeks. In the Vuelta he took it very easy before his first stage win (he was already down in GC). Then by his second win he had dropped even further in GC, and that win was not as easy anymore, while he wasn't fighting GC riders unlike the first time, just fellow breakaway riders. After that, it went downhill fast.

And the fact that they indeed have Pog, Almeida and Ayuso makes me wonder about which role they'll give him.
He didn't drop further in GC by his 2nd stage win. The stage between the two he finished in the main peloton.

He didn't drop further in GC by his 2nd stage win. The stage between the two he finished in the main peloton.
Ah. Then it was by the time he was in the break and everybody expected him to win his 3rd but got dropped by Carapaz and... Soler?

EDIT: indeed, that stage he got dropped even by Brenner, Polanc, Gesbert... and he was 22 minutes down in GC before that stage.

Almeida or someone of UAE said in a recent interview (can't remember the exact details, if local or not and when, just know that I passed my eyes through it) that this year he will have a fixed group or riders that will go with him to every race he starts until the Giro in order to build routines and bonds to tackle the grand tour.

Vine is definitely one of the guys in the group, but there are at least 2, maybe 3 more. I think Covi is another, I'm unsure about Formolo.

So Vine will do the same program as Almeida, probably with exception of TDU.

Almeida or someone of UAE said in a recent interview (can't remember the exact details, if local or not and when, just know that I passed my eyes through it) that this year he will have a fixed group or riders that will go with him to every race he starts until the Giro in order to build routines and bonds to tackle the grand tour.

Vine is definitely one of the guys in the group, but there are at least 2, maybe 3 more. I think Covi is another, I'm unsure about Formolo.

So Vine will do the same program as Almeida, probably with exception of TDU.
Ok, does that mean Vine will be going as a co-leader or as a Kuss?

• Wow
Ok, does that mean Vine will be going as a co-leader or as a Kuss?

Found the interview, it was to a portuguese website and it was done by one of the portuguese Eurosport commentators, Gonçalo Moreira.

Vine will do the same program as him from Algarve until the Giro (Tirreno and Catalunya) and Covi and Ulissi (it was Ulissi, not Formolo) will also ride more with him.

My reading of the interview is that Almeida views them as helpers, but the translation of Matxin's words has him saying something as "the objective is to not have always helpers" or "we want a team more like in the Vuelta but riders need to know that if the team wants to be the best in the world, even the riders who are used to give wins to the team need to know that they should be there for Almeida".

Found the interview, it was to a portuguese website and it was done by one of the portuguese Eurosport commentators, Gonçalo Moreira.

Vine will do the same program as him from Algarve until the Giro (Tirreno and Catalunya) and Covi and Ulissi (it was Ulissi, not Formolo) will also ride more with him.

My reading of the interview is that Almeida views them as helpers, but the translation of Matxin's words has him saying something as "the objective is to not have always helpers" or "we want a team more like in the Vuelta but riders need to know that if the team wants to be the best in the world, even the riders who are used to give wins to the team need to know that they should be there for Almeida".
Found this article on the CN website, which says:
"Vine insists that he has designs only on stage wins and the mountains jersey, but his relative inexperience at this level suggests there is ample margin for improvement – and no obvious ceiling on his future GC ambitions beyond 2023."

I generally agree with some of the guys here. From what we've seen from Jay Vine so far has has one of the best engines i.e. his 30 minute or so efforts (relative to mass) are among the best in the world but his consistency in longer race has to be questioned (recovery must be the factor here). Maybe more work on his aerobic efforts can help him endure longer races better and accumulate less fatigue (OTOH his anaerobic threshold is obviously top-notch).

Last edited:
Durbridge is always good at the Nationals and has twice beaten Dennis in this event when Dennis was world champion - Durbridge is a good litmus test for up and coming riders.
Is he though? Over the years the Aussie TT championship has turned out to be pretty meaningless, as far as performance over the rest of the season is concerned. This may not be the case for Jay Vine, but we can't even compare him against himself, because he never rode the TT.

Yeah, but i'm not convinced he has the recovery for 3 weeks, maybe just for 1 week races. In the Vuelta he took it very easy before his first stage win (he was already down in GC). Then by his second win he had dropped even further in GC, and that win was not as easy anymore, while he wasn't fighting GC riders unlike the first time, just fellow breakaway riders. After that, it went downhill fast.

He'll probably start off with having his chances at Algrave and take it from there, to be on domestique duty for either Pog at the Tour and/or Ayuso at the Vuelta.

Last edited:
There's just one problem with Vine becoming national champion:
He rides for UAE...

Expect another generic flag added

Flai0Z1WIAA_2h0

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS