• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jay Vine discussion thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He's been incredibly unlucky with illness and crashes ever since he joined UAE. Coupled with not great bike-handling skills, but don't think that played a part yesterday.

Hopefully he'll be back at 100% and gets a chance to show what he can do without bad luck. He looks so strong when on his top level.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's been incredibly unlucky with illness and crashes ever since he joined UAE. Coupled with not great bike-handling skills, but don't think that played a part yesterday.

Hopefully he'll be back at 100% and gets a chance to show what he can do without bad luck. He looks so strong when on his top level.

He was also unlucky with crashes before he joined the team.

I saw some comments saying he's only in cycling for the money. I've just assumed coming from Swift having financed things himself he might have had quite some depths to pay off. Plus to be in cycling for the money one has to be really dumb considering how life threatening the sport is. And if so dumb one can really use some money 💰 to compensate for the lack of brain cells? 😉

I saw some comments saying he's only in cycling for the money. I've just assumed coming from Swift having financed things himself he might have had quite some depths to pay off. Plus to be in cycling for the money one has to be really dumb considering how life threatening the sport is. And if so dumb one can really use some money 💰 to compensate for the lack of brain cells? 😉

I also think he's being more honest than other riders. Many of them don't have much to fall back on once their careers are over, which could happen at any moment. I believe he and his wife made the decision to go all in on chasing a career in cycling, but only Jay proved to have talent outside of Zwift, which has made him the primary breadwinner in the family. He apparently also wants to raise a big family, so it makes sense for him to look for financial security when he's already in his late 20s.

Pogačar signed two big contract extensions in 2021, one before and one after his second Tour victory, instead of waiting to see how his career would develop afterwards. Not that he doesn't deserve every penny now, but he could also have ended in up a Froome like situation, if his level had dropped or more riders had surpassed him (he was obviously a much safer gamble than Froome).

Reactions: sevenall and noob
I don't think it's dumb. Vine and his family can probably be set up for life by the time his contract runs out.

I also think he's being more honest than other riders. Many of them don't have much to fall back on once their careers are over, which could happen at any moment. I believe he and his wife made the decision to go all in on chasing a career in cycling, but only Jay proved to have talent outside of Zwift, which has made him the primary breadwinner in the family. He apparently also wants to raise a big family, so it makes sense for him to look for financial security when he's already in his late 20s.

Pogačar signed two big contract extensions in 2021, one before and one after his second Tour victory, instead of waiting to see how his career would develop afterwards. Not that he doesn't deserve every penny now, but he could also have ended in up a Froome like situation, if his level had dropped or more riders had surpassed him (he was obviously a much safer gamble than Froome).
Yes they went all in.

But still... if there wasn't any passion for cycling in itself I really doubt any of them pros would get into it? And I mean starting out at all. When they're already successful it's a different thing me thinks.

It's just how it looks to a noob.

Jay Vine is walking again following his crash at Itzulia Basque Country last week, expressing relief at having apparently avoided life-changing injuries.
The Australian faces a “long road” of recovery, but any thoughts of future career ambitions have ceded for now.
“Just can’t believe that I will still be able to walk and play with my kids one day,” Vine wrote in an emotional update on his social media.

TRENDING THREADS