• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 83 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He‘s third at 22 seconds, stop pretending he can‘t win and is just an interesting also-ran. He’s racing a Roglič who admits he‘s not 100% and Geraint f‘ing Thomas who is 36. If he ever wants to win a GT, this Giro is going to be one of his best shots.

I do not expect epic mountain raids from him but if he had his teammates set whatever pace they can manage and then attacked like 5 k out, he might discover that his opponents are just bluffing and don‘t have it in them to respond. So what if they get back to him and he loses a few seconds, he‘ll at least know his competition better and afterwards he can just go back to riding for his precious fourth places.
It wasn’t a specific shot at him just in general, especially like the Carthy raid there was never going to gain him a minute. I agree with you in this Giro of all the GTs he’s been in, I’d rather go all in here and lose and come 4th then say I never tried against the old man and the injured favourite

I must say, besides Stage 18 at last year’s Vuelta, Joao is an incredibly boring rider. He should really try some attacks.
Like you said. he's 3rd at 22s. There is no reason for him to take any risks now. And if there's one thing he has proven to be good at, it's pacing himself. I wouldn't rule it out that he beats Thomas and Roglic on stage 20. If Roglic and Thomas start duking it out earlier, he might sit back and watch before doing one of his typical comeback attacks in the final 2k.

Like you said. he's 3rd at 22s. There is no reason for him to take any risks now. And if there's one thing he has proven to be good at, it's pacing himself. I wouldn't rule it out that he beats Thomas and Roglic on stage 20. If Roglic and Thomas start duking it out earlier, he might sit back and watch before doing one of his typical comeback attacks in the final 2k.
True but waiting eagerly for tomorrow's stage just because that's the type of stage profile where Almeida tend to disappoint. If he goes to the 2nd rest day within the same time that he has atm to Thomas and Roglic I think that he truly has a shot for winning this Giro.

It would be great if he could take this Giro and show QS they banked on the wrong guy for GT's. :D I hope he comes out of the rest day in good shape and his team go all in for him.
Even if João wins the Giro and Remco never gets to win a GT again, Lefevere did the right thing by keeping Remco. He's much more marketable for the team and he still manages to win a lot of important races during the season.

Banked on the wrong guy because he got covid? I'm no particular Remco fan but that's a weird idea considering Almeida is where he is because Remco had to leave :grinning:
One extra place up the standings? I think there was more to it than just covid, but that is just my opinion. Out of 3 GT's, he finished 1 (yes he won). Doesn't prove he would have got through this last week in the pink jersey, regardless if he had about 2/3 minutes with his ITT's. I think Almeida would have bettered him this week.