• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 85 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Maybe you guys remember my friend, with whom I like to watch cycling on some Sunday evenings, if possible… We discuss controversially, of course.

Last year, he complained about Roubaix and Amstel, called winners van Baarle and Kwiatkowski „very weak riders“…

After yesterday, he told me, „Now imagine, everyone talked about a Giro duel between strong Remco and Roglic, and now it‘s possible that a very weak rider like Almeida wins the whole race!“…

:)
You're going to reintroduce him as recurring character?😔 Come on, upper body worship is more amusing than a friend who call pros "weak rider".

Reactions: Sandisfan
As a fan of Primoz, I don't mind if Joao wins Il Giro, because he's shown courage & desire to winning it by attacking, which is what we like to see in a GC rider.
Good luck & fortune to the Portuguese Hunter
tenor.gif

Maybe you guys remember my friend, with whom I like to watch cycling on some Sunday evenings, if possible… We discuss controversially, of course.

Last year, he complained about Roubaix and Amstel, called winners van Baarle and Kwiatkowski „very weak riders“…

After yesterday, he told me, „Now imagine, everyone talked about a Giro duel between strong Remco and Roglic, and now it‘s possible that a very weak rider like Almeida wins the whole race!“…

:)

Your legendary friend must be Pogacar or Merckx then!

João Almeida can definitely win this Giro and I’m hoping he can. His climbing improvement this race is remarkable but not totally surprising for a young(ish) rider. He is a tenacious diesel and working on this aspect seems to have delivered.

His Mont Bondone ride this far into a grand tour was very impressive. I think he will be hard to beat in the uphill TT based upon the strength he showed on Tuesday. Of course there are more mountains before then and he could fade, but last year he was lurking in contention before Covid stopped him. I am cheering for him.

João Almeida can definitely win this Giro and I’m hoping he can. His climbing improvement this race is remarkable but not totally surprising for a young(ish) rider. He is a tenacious diesel and working on this aspect seems to have delivered.

His Mont Bondone ride this far into a grand tour was very impressive. I think he will be hard to beat in the uphill TT based upon the strength he showed on Tuesday. Of course there are more mountains before then and he could fade, but last year he was lurking in contention before Covid stopped him. I am cheering for him.
Menchov bonked badly during the Kronplatz mtt. I'm not fully convinced with Almeida there. Although Kronplatz was constantly uphill rather than ___/

I don't think he improved is climbing skills. I think he returned to the shape of the last week giro 2021.
I hope he wins, but it depends of what roglic will do.

I don't think he improved is climbing skills. I think he returned to the shape of the last week giro 2021.
I hope he wins, but it depends of what roglic will do.
I think he’s improved as from what I saw he rode off the front and made Thomas chase him? When I saw him before he was just hanging on and managing his losses. Final judgment will be next three days. I also think it is encouraging that he can be strong climbing in the 3rd week (so far). We will see.

I think he’s improved as from what I saw he rode off the front and made Thomas chase him? When I saw him before he was just hanging on and managing his losses. Final judgment will be next three days. I also think it is encouraging that he can be strong climbing in the 3rd week (so far). We will see.
Do you remember sega di ala and alpe di mera in 2021? He wasn't just hanging on.

Vine was in Godly mode today. If he didn’t had that descent turn mistake he would have put Almeida right on Roglic and Thomas wheels! Let’s just hope that it was Almeida bad day and if so he can Thank Vine for being still in contention for winning this Giro. With these gaps all will be decided on Monte Lussari. Tomorrow’s stage profile is less dangerous for Almeida than today’s if you ask me so if has a normal day he will be with both Roglic and Thomas

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS