• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He is delusional if he thinks is not going to work for pogacar if necessary.
He just said that he will be at TDF with GC ambitions with or without Pogacar in the team and that Pogacar´s domestiques will be enough without him helping. Everyone knows, he knows it too, that if needed he will have to put aside his ambitions to help Pogacar. Nothing outrageous if you ask me, several teams have more than 1 leader in a GT.
If there's something that Almeida clearly isn't, delusional, quite the opposite, he is a down to earth kind of guy so i´m sure he knows what´s his role if needed inside the team when has Pogacar in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
He just said that he will be at TDF with GC ambitions with or without Pogacar in the team and that Pogacar´s domestiques will be enough without him helping. Everyone knows, he knows it too, that if needed he will have to put aside his ambitions to help Pogacar. Nothing outrageous if you ask me, several teams have more than 1 leader in a GT.
If there's something that Almeida clearly isn't, delusional, quite the opposite, he is a down to earth kind of guy so i´m sure he knows what´s his role if needed inside the team when has Pogacar in it.
He will do the same work for pogacar in the tour, that arensman did for thomas in this giro. He will be the last man working for pogacar, and at the same time trying a top 10.

Besides what Elos Anjos said in that interview to "oJogo" newspaper Almeida also stated:

- During Giro 2nd week he was sick and had to be treated with antibiotics. He didn't specified what was the illness but it wasn´t covid.
- He will go to TDF next season but won't be working for Pogacar, stated that Pogacar doesn´t need his help, there will be other riders to do it and that it will be a good thing to have two leaders in the race.
- He also said that the 1 minute difference in the final GC to Roglic and Thomas is something that he thinks he will be able to close in the next 2 years in terms of his expected evolution.
- He sees himself closer to the 1st tier GC riders and capable of making the leap needed to be there in the next 1/2 YEARS

I´m glad to see him with the ambition to grow into a future GT win. If he will make it time will tell
Thanks!

Reactions: YavorD
They are faster because they push more watts, not because the same watts gives a higher speed.

That the peloton at large is getting stronger and stronger is obviously down to improved sports science. Better training, nutrition, and recovery.
I think that bike performance contributes to improved times. Not only by requiring less watts to be pushed at a certain speed, but also by improving the efficiency with which the power is transferd from the rider to the wheel. If you are referring to the post pandemic improvement, one would assume that, given the leap in performance happened in a short span of time, the effect of bike tecnology is marginal compared to the other parameters, i.e. riders' abilty. However, i think that, compared to even mid '00 bikes, todays are faster.

I don't feel that it belongs in this thread but there was an article a couple of days back:

The numbers actually are rather interesting. Not sure if i believe them fully but i do believe there is some truth in it.
The difference on the climbs between 2013 and 2023 is almost nothing. So, is not mainly because of better equipment that riders are more fast.

Last edited:
They are faster because they push more watts, not because the same watts gives a higher speed.

That the peloton at large is getting stronger and stronger is obviously down to improved sports science. Better training, nutrition, and recovery.
The same watts do give higher speeds, but that is not the issue. The biggest gain is the fact that those marginal watts that been saved for 150km of racing due to more efficient and aerodynamic bikes, bring the riders into the final less fatigued. And that's when/where the difference can be made compared to older and less efficient bikes.

The same watts do give higher speeds, but that is not the issue. The biggest gain is the fact that those marginal watts that been saved for 150km of racing due to more efficient and aerodynamic bikes, bring the riders into the final less fatigued. And that's when/where the difference can be made compared to older and less efficient bikes.
That's just 10% of the reason why they are more fast.
90% of the reason why they are more fast is better training, nutrition, recovery and the scouting. They are always making scouting, trying to find the next physiological beast.

That's just 10% of the reason why they are more fast.
90% of the reason why they are more fast is better training, nutrition, recovery and the scouting. They are always making scouting, trying to find the next physiological beast.
I never claimed it was the only reason, or even the biggest reason. Just that it does matter, unlike what others, including you, are claiming.
The biggest gains will come from scientific measuring from a much younger age (ftp tests, watt meters, etc) so that athletes know where their limits lie, and nutrition. This is what i've been saying for years, when people are quick to bring up clinic reasons.

I never claimed it was the only reason, or even the biggest reason. Just that it does matter, unlike what others, including you, are claiming.
The biggest gains will come from scientific measuring from a much younger age (ftp tests, watt meters, etc) so that athletes know where their limits lie, and nutrition. This is what i've been saying for years, when people are quick to bring up clinic reasons.
This issue started when joao almeida said in a interview that they are more fast and are beating the records of the past mainly because of the equipment, and that's not true because the equipment has a short impact in the reason why now riders are more fast.

This issue started when joao almeida said in a interview that they are more fast and are beating the records of the past mainly because of the equipment, and that's not true because the equipment has a short impact in the reason why now riders are more fast.
Ok, it definitely isn't the only or biggest reason. But it is a factor. Not sure if that's exactly what he said (is it a video interview?) or if the journalist has taken some liberties with the way he/she transcribed the interview. Unless it's the former, i have learned not to take everything someone is claimed to have said at face value.

Ok, it definitely isn't the only or biggest reason. But it is a factor. Not sure if that's exactly what he said (is it a video interview?) or if the journalist has taken some liberties with the way he/she transcribed the interview. Unless it's the former, i have learned not to take everything someone is claimed to have said at face value.
Cycling is like Formula 1, every tire makes a difference"
João Almeida rode with the best in the Giro time trials and had a notable evolution compared to 2022. “We worked more in the wind tunnel, we improved the position, but we are always conditioned by the material we have. great leap. It's the materials that make the difference in the result. Cycling is more or less like Formula 1, each tire makes the difference. That's why racing records from 20 years ago are beaten", he detailed, rejecting having lost weight and, consequently, also skills in the chrono: "I've been practically the same since 2021. Maybe I have more muscle definition and that helps with the sprint. It helped to win a stage and helps with the chrono, because there are more watts than I generate. But it's all a question of aerodynamics. The weight doesn't count".

It was in a daily sports Portuguese newspaper "OJogo" and what he said was in the context of the iTT!

Well, for a TT bike it obviously is a big deal. Rohan Dennis became worldchampion on an unbranded BMC bike, because the TT bike of Bahrein in 2019 sucked. Lotto just ended a decade long partnership because Ridley's TT bikes have been underperforming for years.
Well that was precisely the context (iTT) in which Almeida compared the materials used nowadays in cycling to Formula1 tecnology and he is right spot on that