Joe Papp Interview

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 30, 2010
38
0
0
Rhats what i'm talkin about. We need Waddell up in this. That's my man.

Let's get off the Joe Papp and get right onto some serious ****.

I am gonna post up in every new post in the clinic for a week. Just to keep it entertaining. Since there are only about 3 people on here that can really talk **** like old school Rbr.
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
0
0
erik saunders said:
i know who you are 131313...

old man...

is this like RBR all over again or what?
To be quite honest I think we took a lot of the RBR refugees in. I think most people here in the clinic have been banned by Coolhand at least once.

God, why do we keep getting the rejects and the trolls :p (I kid, I kid)
 
Jul 2, 2009
1,079
0
0
Erik,

regardless of whomever's business you wanna get up into, you might want to leave the f-bombs at the door, or the postman gonna' wack you at the knees.

just a thought.

Seen you race before :D
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
0
0
tubularglue said:
Erik,

regardless of whomever's business you wanna get up into, you might want to leave the f-bombs at the door, or the postman gonna' wack you at the knees.

just a thought.

Seen you race before :D
As long as they are all censored out, it isn't that bad, only if he circumvents the word censor does he really get a problem

Also @ Erik, perhaps it is just me, but your blog appears to have been written in one go, and it looks like you were really angry at the moment (I don't know, perhaps that's the way you normally are:p) but perhaps a better idea is to first wait a day or two, let it sink in and then reread what you wrote before you put it online. Becuase this way you seem quite unreasonable in that piece. I'm not saying you aren't reasonable or your position is not reasonable, but that's the way it presents it self.
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
erik saunders said:
Rhats what i'm talkin about. We need Waddell up in this. That's my man.

Let's get off the Joe Papp and get right onto some serious ****.

I am gonna post up in every new post in the clinic for a week. Just to keep it entertaining. Since there are only about 3 people on here that can really talk **** like old school Rbr.
Olde Skül rec.bicycles.racing, in DA hizzouse.

 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
131313 said:
At least I'm not a Pro Master yet. Why just the other day I was thinking "you know, the world really needs a black Thurlow Rogers. Like Dave Osborne, but good!". Best of luck with that...

Funny that the guy who hates you mentioned Sundt, who has easily eclipsed you in the sh!t-talking department. Dude has a Pro Tour mouth. If also talking helped with forward propulsion, he'd actually be fast...
 
Barrus said:
As long as they are all censored out, it isn't that bad, only if he circumvents the word censor does he really get a problem

Also @ Erik, perhaps it is just me, but your blog appears to have been written in one go, and it looks like you were really angry at the moment (I don't know, perhaps that's the way you normally are:p) but perhaps a better idea is to first wait a day or two, let it sink in and then reread what you wrote before you put it online. Becuase this way you seem quite unreasonable in that piece. I'm not saying you aren't reasonable or your position is not reasonable, but that's the way it presents it self.
If (and being as we are in the clinic, it's a big if) someone is publicly accusing you of something that you did not do, aren't you allowed to appear somewhat angry?
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
0
0
Hugh Januss said:
If (and being as we are in the clinic, it's a big if) someone is publicly accusing you of something that you did not do, aren't you allowed to appear somewhat angry?
Yes, I agree on that, but perhaps the point someone is making is not best translated if you are in such a mood when you write something. That was what I was alluding at
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
Barrus said:
Yes, I agree on that, but perhaps the point someone is making is not best translated if you are in such a mood when you write something. That was what I was alluding at
It's his mouth (and his mouthpiece - the blog).
 
Jul 27, 2010
625
0
0
NashbarShorts said:
Having only watched half the video, all I can say is...WTF?? RR, I hope you charged him big psychiatrist $$, b/c that interview seemed like a session b/w Tony Soprano and Dr. Melfi. You should have interviewed him lying down on the couch.

Two choice portions:

"I doped b/c it allowed me to escape the horror of being sexually molested by a teammate." ....Huh? Dude, we really don't need to hear about your homo-erotic encounters. But if you showered w/ a buddy and then later felt conflicted about it, PLEAse dont call it 'molestation', and try to pin you doping decision on it. And how could continuing racing (probably on same team or at least in same peloton w/ said buddy) be a way to cope. Me thinks this "assocation" w/ the idea of molestation has something to do w/ Papp's Walter-Mitty connection w/ Lemond, who Joe is pround to let us know he is "close" with. Dream on, pal.

"By the time I got caught, I was looking for a way out". Yeah right. You just achieved your biggest victory to date, but you were looking for a way OUT. So then of course you became a dealer to the domestic peloton. No better way to get out...

Maybe I'll try to digest the rest of the video at some point, but watching the 1st half felt like eavesdropping on a self-aggrandizing solo lovefest b/w Mr. Papp and Mr. Papp's perception of Mr. Papp. Dude could barely stop his lips long enough to take a sip of water. BTW Joe, the University of Picksburgh does not exactly have a world-class history department, but thanks for sharing.
Nashbar....I haven't had the pleasure of reading many of your previous posts, but can I just say, that to me, this one is without doubt one of the most disgusting, pathetic and cowardly I have yet to enjoy on this site, and that is saying something...so well done.

You are perfectly entitled to believe what you want about Joe Papp, and anything he has said about his past, and to post that opinion here. But if you think that anonymously posting some frankly sinister "joky" prose about sexual abuse is either funny or original or brave, then I am deeply sorry to have to tell you this, but you are a fool. A mindless one. I hope you have cut and pasted your post and saved it, please show it to your kids one day....as an example...tell them proudly...."see this is how Daddy does it...see how clever he is...see how I hid behind my pseudonym to throw down some hate"...and Nashbar...that is all it is...Hate. Mindless hate. Well done for being a follower.

Flick...you said that you don't have to walk in another man's shoes to understand him....really? I mean really, really? Are you a deity? Have you experienced everything life has to throw at all of us mere mortals?

Erik....thanks for coming by and further commenting...it is appreciated by some of us. I understand your anger at what Joe said in the interview, and I understand your reaction but I think an above poster highlighted what I felt when I read what you said, with regard to the "stupid" stuff and the references to prison.

Anyway, this place is so much more interesting when there is a bit of genuine curve ball posting, and with comment from those who have actually raced, so I look forward to your future "bombs".:D

Peace
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
erik saunders said:
for the record... tim johnson who is known as the nicest guy in bike racing said i was "one of his favorite people"...
So the nicest guy in bike racing says you are one of his favorites, and the biggest **** in bike racing says you are a **** too.

How about we take an average and assume you are a so-so guy.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Polish said:
So the nicest guy in bike racing says you are one of his favorites, and the biggest **** in bike racing says you are a **** too.

How about we take an average and assume you are a so-so guy.
I think that Joe Papp and Erik Saunders need to take a motorpaced 200 lap grudge match at the next 6 day race. Bob Roll will be Joe Papps pacer and
Graham Watson will Erik Saunders pacer.
 
May 3, 2010
29
0
0
as for Papp, I'm always suspicious of US racers who get all their results in countries where you can buy HGH over the counter
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
As you all prepare to cast your stones, walk a few blocks in this guy's shoes:

http://reviewofcuban-americanblogs.blogspot.com/2008/04/joe-papps-cuban-odyssey.html

Joe will always be accountable for his actions. He has many regrets. But from what I've been able to see, he threw his hands up in complete surrender once arrested. He's tried to make things right as best he can, and everyone else will need to own their own circumstances. When he was busted for personal EPO use, he was still facing some incredible, desperate circumstances in regards to the welfare of his family. Poor choices (that he'd made earlier in life) clouded his judgment. It's pretty easy to see it now. But he's been an open book so far, and a lot of people don't like it.

Many of us keep talking open-armed amnesty for those who are willing to come forward. Joe might not have come forward, but I challenge you to find one willing to go as far as Joe to right the wrongs afterward. No Omerta going on with Joe.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
BotanyBay said:
As you all prepare to cast your stones, walk a few blocks in this guy's shoes:

http://reviewofcuban-americanblogs.blogspot.com/2008/04/joe-papps-cuban-odyssey.html

Joe will always be accountable for his actions. He has many regrets. But from what I've been able to see, he threw his hands up in complete surrender once arrested. He's tried to make things right as best he can, and everyone else will need to own their own circumstances. When he was busted for personal EPO use, he was still facing some incredible, desperate circumstances in regards to the welfare of his family. Poor choices (that he'd made earlier in life) clouded his judgment. It's pretty easy to see it now. But he's been an open book so far, and a lot of people don't like it.

Many of us keep talking open-armed amnesty for those who are willing to come forward. Joe might not have come forward, but I challenge you to find one willing to go as far as Joe to right the wrongs afterward. No Omerta going on with Joe.
--edited by mod---
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
BotanyBay said:
As you all prepare to cast your stones, walk a few blocks in this guy's shoes:
.
Maybe Joe himself should try walking a few blocks in someones else shoes.

Of course, the people would not get their shoes back:eek:

Just kidding, just kidding...not calling Joe a shoe stealer.
Or am I?
No, seriously, I'm not.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Did Fidel "poison" our man Alberto Contador with some of his prize Clenbutrol laced Brahma bullmeat.? I am sure the Cuban ex-patriots have that one figured out also. Look forward to seeing the answer and our saving grace for our saxo-boy on the blogsite.
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
Polish said:
Maybe Joe himself should try walking a few blocks in someones else shoes.

Of course, the people would not get their shoes back:eek:

Just kidding, just kidding...not calling Joe a shoe stealer.
Or am I?
No, seriously, I'm not.
Soon enough, you'll be begging for people to forgive Lance. Either that or you (and he) will choose the "OJ path of denial".
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
BotanyBay said:
He's an American with residency in America. His citizenship applies. Most likely, his son's got dual citizenship.
Thanks. It doesn't make sense to me but I will take you on your word. I guess if Joe had the dinero he could have his child brought here. I am very sorry to hear about that situation. It is common in Latin America.
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
flicker said:
--edited by mod--
In the 80's, there was this junior at the OTC in Co Springs. His mom was Mexican, dad was Canadian. He was born in the States. He had citizenship in all three countries. He rode for all three National teams at some point.

Marcello Arrue. Great track racer. Born in USA. Chilean born father. Rode in the Pan-Am games as a US rider. Rode in the Olympics as a Chilean rider.
Perhaps the most "interesting" cycling family I've ever met.
 
Jun 22, 2009
794
0
0
not cool

BotanyBay said:
As you all prepare to cast your stones, walk a few blocks in this guy's shoes:

http://reviewofcuban-americanblogs.blogspot.com/2008/04/joe-papps-cuban-odyssey.html

Joe will always be accountable for his actions. He has many regrets. But from what I've been able to see, he threw his hands up in complete surrender once arrested. He's tried to make things right as best he can, and everyone else will need to own their own circumstances. When he was busted for personal EPO use, he was still facing some incredible, desperate circumstances in regards to the welfare of his family. Poor choices (that he'd made earlier in life) clouded his judgment. It's pretty easy to see it now. But he's been an open book so far, and a lot of people don't like it.

Many of us keep talking open-armed amnesty for those who are willing to come forward. Joe might not have come forward, but I challenge you to find one willing to go as far as Joe to right the wrongs afterward. No Omerta going on with Joe.
it matters little if you are defending him or attacking him, joe's family situation is completely off limits when discussing his doping/dealing. it's little more than an appeal to emotion anyway.
 
Jul 27, 2010
625
0
0
BotanyBay said:
Soon enough, you'll be begging for people to forgive Lance. Either that or you (and he) will choose the "OJ path of denial".
see Botany...I almost thought you were talking some sense..then you go and mention OJ with regard to LA....mmmm....I fail to see the slightest correlation between the two of them or their actions. And honestly I fail to see how you missed the irony of making that comparison when trying to defend Joe from pointless and salacious abuse. Honestly, I give up on this place sometimes:rolleyes:
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
lean said:
it matters little if you are defending him or attacking him, joe's family situation is completely off limits when discussing his doping/dealing. it's little more than an appeal to emotion anyway.
I try to look at facts like a judge would. It would be difficult to prove that a crime was commited for a good reason such as Joe may have had.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS