Joe Papp Interview

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2009
2,499
0
0
flicker said:
Thanks. It doesn't make sense to me but I will take you on your word. I guess if Joe had the dinero he could have his child brought here. I am very sorry to hear about that situation. It is common in Latin America.
children born outside the US to a US citizen parent do face some hurdles. If your dad is a drug dealer who everytime he opens his mouth piles on the charges it tends to make things harder. Papp is way more famous off the bike than he ever was on one.Vasectomy as soon as possible. Smooth firm legs are going to make him a jailhouse favorite for all things mangravy..just a guess
 
Jul 27, 2010
625
0
0
lean said:
it matters little if you are defending him or attacking him, joe's family situation is completely off limits when discussing his doping/dealing. it's little more than an appeal to emotion anyway.
but jokes like those just deleted aren't? Lean....you are rising in my estimation every time you post
 
flicker said:
Thanks. It doesn't make sense to me but I will take you on your word. I guess if Joe had the dinero he could have his child brought here. I am very sorry to hear about that situation. It is common in Latin America.
What is common in Latin America?

Oh, let me guess-you have no idea what you're talking about (yet again) but since it sounds logical to you then it must be true.

An American with a child born in Latin America doesn't automatically receive duel citizenship.

That's always been a myth, but moreso now that Homeland Security is in charge of immigration.

One needs to take a DNA test to prove the child is yours. Then the proper paperwork must be submitted to the US Embassy in said country. Then the child needs permission from the mother to travel to the US.

The mother has to stay behind, unless she is married to the father of the child and the proper paperwork is filled out by the husband. He has to prove he has a sufficient enough income to support both wife and child, and tax returns for the last three years need to be submitted as proof.

Proof of the relationship also has to be submitted, and questions will be asked during the residency interview. Legitimate relationships have been turned down due to simple mistakes made during the interview process. For example, if the wife says they had an omelet for breakfast the morning of the interview and the husband says something else.

With Papp's child living in Cuba (which is a whole 'nother ball game entirely) and since his wife has already been arrested and imprisoned for attempting to defect, you can pretty much forget about it. His legal problems and subsequent infamy do him no favors either, even if all other circumstances were ideal.

What sets Cuba apart is that Papp's wife would have to qualify for political asylum in the US. Nowhere else in Latin America is this a requirement. Also, the US Embassy has the final say on granting visas to the US. In Cuba, the Cuban government has final say-so.
 

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
137
1
8,830
PEOPLE - I understand you all need a place to vent about doping and Papp, but please keep the discussion on the topic of Joe's cycling, his involvement in doping and off his family life.

Any further digressions in this direction will result in this thread being closed down.

Thanks for your cooperation.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
Hugh Januss said:
And yet, here you remain.:rolleyes:
he's not the only troll to bemoan this place and say they hate it, but as you say there still here......must be desperate for the 50cents an hour they get as interns from PS.....:rolleyes:
 
Benotti69 said:
he's not the only troll to bemoan this place and say they hate it, but as you say there still here......must be desperate for the 50cents an hour they get as interns from PS.....:rolleyes:
Nothing like the class act of calling somebody a troll and trolling at the same time. Well done.
 
Dec 3, 2010
11
0
0
To BotanyBay, whatever reason you think Joe is doing all this for, this is the real reason. He is being threatened with jail and he is helping get all these riders to lighten his sentence. He was supposed to go to jail two months ago but it got pushed back because he came out with new people to bust.
Whatever you think about the guys who took/bought drugs, Joe is no better. His claim of trying to fix the problem is completely bs.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
nolimit said:
To BotanyBay, whatever reason you think Joe is doing all this for, this is the real reason. He is being threatened with jail and he is helping get all these riders to lighten his sentence. He was supposed to go to jail two months ago but it got pushed back because he came out with new people to bust.
Whatever you think about the guys who took/bought drugs, Joe is no better. His claim of trying to fix the problem is completely bs.
any references or evidence to back up your clams?
 
Jul 29, 2010
431
0
0
straydog said:
Nashbar...you are perfectly entitled to believe what you want about Joe Papp...
1. I'm close with Lemond.
2. I was molested too. Umm, by a teammate.
3. That's why I doped. As a coping mechanism.
4. Oh, did I mention I'm close with Lemond?

Straydog, pls say hello to the toothfairy for me.
 

Skandar Akbar

BANNED
Nov 20, 2010
177
0
0
whack interview

The interview was whack or weird from the start....and I am only talking about that chair and his facial expressions. The chair must be gigantic or he is about 5 feet tall? (was he that french carnie that snaged LA's handlebars back in 2003?) Since the chair was some type of white nogahide it all felt weird while watching it,,,,something like a shrink session.

Then there was the whack facial expressions. I guess the University of Pittsburgh does not have a good public speaking class.
 
Jul 27, 2010
625
0
0
NashbarShorts said:
1. I'm close with Lemond.
2. I was molested too. Umm, by a teammate.
3. That's why I doped. As a coping mechanism.
4. Oh, did I mention I'm close with Lemond?

Straydog, pls say hello to the toothfairy for me.
Nashbar...firstly i don't recall saying what I believed. What I, you, or anyone does or doesn't believe is irrelevent to my criticism of your post. If you can't see that, then I am not surprised that your imagination is stuck at the tooth fairy, when it comes to "clever" one liners.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
NashbarShorts said:
Lets keep this post focused on Mr. Papp, and lay off the personal attacks on white nougahyde!
I have read that LSD sometimes takes things out of proportion. Sometimes the human being shrinks and the elegant white nougahyde expands. Also prismatic and colourful kalidiscope patterns drift across the vision field.

I think when the talking white rabbit scurried out of the hole being chased by the Mad Hatter, definently the reason for Joes doping.

That and well all the other common doping reasons previously mentioned.
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
straydog said:
see Botany...I almost thought you were talking some sense..then you go and mention OJ with regard to LA....mmmm....I fail to see the slightest correlation between the two of them or their actions. And honestly I fail to see how you missed the irony of making that comparison when trying to defend Joe from pointless and salacious abuse. Honestly, I give up on this place sometimes:rolleyes:
I only meant it in the regard that like OJ, Lance is probably personally convinced of his own innocence. Even though he stands there with bloody gloves. It's a narcissism thing.

And in regards to Joe, I understand the path that he's walked. Not in any way excusing the conduct (I'm not). But sometimes good people make some very poor choices and then end up trapped or unable to extricate themselves from these situations. When USADA came knocking, I'd imagine that he was still juggling some big personal problems and didn't know how to go about extricating himself from them. See, once the poor choice has been made, it's not always a simple matter of figuring-out that exit strategy.
 
Aug 10, 2010
6,286
0
0
But what about the second choice?

BotanyBay said:
I only meant it in the regard that like OJ, Lance is probably personally convinced of his own innocence. Even though he stands there with bloody gloves. It's a narcissism thing.

And in regards to Joe, I understand the path that he's walked. Not in any way excusing the conduct (I'm not). But sometimes good people make some very poor choices and then end up trapped or unable to extricate themselves from these situations. When USADA came knocking, I'd imagine that he was still juggling some big personal problems and didn't know how to go about extricating himself from them. See, once the poor choice has been made, it's not always a simple matter of figuring-out that exit strategy.
Your argument is persuasive--as it applies to Joe the Doping Cyclist. It does not fit well with Mr. Papp's second career--Joe the Committer of Crime. That wasn't about struggling over extrication; it was a series of conscious choices to implicate himself in crime. His behavior is a reflection of his character.
 
Jul 29, 2010
431
0
0
I think his '2nd career' was simply the lure of easy money. Same reason some college girls think it's fun to turn tricks anonymously on craigslist. Its all fun and easy until you get busted.
 
Jun 22, 2009
794
0
0
NashbarShorts said:
I think his '2nd career' was simply the lure of easy money. Same reason some college girls think it's fun to turn tricks anonymously on craigslist. Its all fun and easy until you get busted.
there are college girls turning tricks on craigslist?!?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

i might not be posting again for awhile cus i just realized i've got some better things to do online. ;)

oh yeah, almost forgot, i'm putting flicker in charge while i'm gone.
 
NashbarShorts said:
I think his '2nd career' was simply the lure of easy money. Same reason some college girls think it's fun to turn tricks anonymously on craigslist. Its all fun and easy until you get busted.
I don't think it is that hard to understand. When you have an environment where people are referring each other to connections and bros are helping out bros, it is only a matter of time before one of the more ambitious people decides that he can make a few bucks.

Where it turns weird is the decision to sell online with an actual website. There are lots of gym rats running small fry enterprises that operat below the radar, but putting up an actual website that then ships to hundreds of customers took some big brass ones. It could be that after Joe tested positive he needed income and that kicked the small time dealing into high gear.

When the feds took him down, he would have been in a really really bad situation. Simple charges of wire and mail fraud can send people away for a very long time. At that point he would have been forced to do whatever he could to get the charges reduced and a reduction in sentence for the charges that he agreed to plead guilty to.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS