• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Joe Papp pleads guilty to distributing drugs, pt 2

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
All I can say is wow! With his outspokeness against doping, my first thought was that he was just busted for maybe a bag of weed, but PED's? Money is evil...but necessary.

Also, thanks to all the informative posters on this site. I read the forums regularly but haven't commented in a while.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
So Joe Papp is to go to hell and most of his 187 customers get to keep enjoying their sports?

Obviously there needs to be consequences for his actions, but his confessions make him very different to others who have bullied, bribed, coerced, threatened and hacked, in a cynical and ruthless attempt to protect their own skin.

I hope he finds the strength to get through whatever ordeal he faces.

A

Anonymous

Christ, Joe was just out here the other night...over the weekend I believe...bad news...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
He was still doing it after he testified against Landis and supposedly came clean. Just another case of the words and actions not matching.

Epicycle said:
He was still doing it after he testified against Landis and supposedly came clean. Just another case of the words and actions not matching.

I think this predates the Landis affair. Trafficking charges were mentioned back then. It is probably the key to why the sporting sanctions were so harsh. I cannot remember any other rider having all his results nullified for about five years.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
From the interviews I read with Joe it seemed like he aspired to living large and an extra $80,000 a year tax-free is a good start. EPO is dangerous stuff. It's not like selling weed. You can still find it online but getting it from a domestic source means you won't get questions about suspicious packages coming from China. Looks like Joe took on that burden and got burned. Seriously Joe, from now on don't worry about big-timing or getting your name out there. Just live a healthy, normal life.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think this predates the Landis affair. Trafficking charges were mentioned back then. It is probably the key to why the sporting sanctions were so harsh. I cannot remember any other rider having all his results nullified for about five years.

The ESPN article says he was selling until September 2007. That's 3-4 months after he testified.

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:

According to this:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10048/1036489-100.stm

it was through September 2007. The Landis hearing was May 2007, and I believe his deal with USADA was prior to the Landis hearing. If so, then when he confessed and cut his deal, he was still dealing.

But perhaps the press just got this wrong, as it gets so many things wrong.

I Watch Cycling In July said:
Or was that because he admitted to using over that time frame?

I am thinking that perhaps the reason he was forced to give such a complete confession was to show good faith that might be helptful in his criminal prosecution. I imagine they really had him over a barrel.

Hopefully Joe gives us some details.

Epicycle said:
The ESPN article says he was selling until September 2007. That's 3-4 months after he testified.

That is not cool if it is true. I do remember that possible federal drug trafficking charges were mentioned around the time of the FLandis hearings. Joe does not strike me as being dumb enough to continue selling when the feds are already after him.

A

Anonymous

If you read that outside mag article joe was living with his mom...*****ing about maybe having to find a real job...guess this was his way of not facing that...Joe, I am afraid to say the hounds are loose...hey man, just deal with it and then move on...and stay away from that Lugar mentioned...

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, if Joe was so intent about coming clean about his past I wonder why he never mentioned this "little detail" in his blog or any recent interview. :rolleyes:

Oh, I guess since he was a nice guy and "came totally clean about his past and speaks out about doping" this is a forgivable act too.

Joe does not deserve a single apologist sentiment if the dates stated in the article are true. In my eyes this evidence, if true, makes him bigger scum than just about any rider I can think of.

A

Anonymous

Rereading that outside mag article on Joe...the last line is particularly ominous and prescient...

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I cannot remember any other rider having all his results nullified for about five years.

That's the big joke, if you come clean they hammer you as hard as they can, they don't let you keep anything - see Dwayne Chambers. If you lie and keep lying, all is forgiven just keep on as normal after a couple of years rest. Why the f*** would you break the omerta? 'Doing the right thing' is stupid.

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
progressor said:
That's the big joke, if you come clean they hammer you as hard as they can, they don't let you keep anything - see Dwayne Chambers. If you lie and keep lying, all is forgiven just keep on as normal after a couple of years rest. Why the f*** would you break the omerta? 'Doing the right thing' is stupid.

When all the facts come out I think the statement above will be proven to be true. Prosecuting riders who confess to their transgressions only serves to discourage future cooperation.

And take two seconds to look at the prosecuting ADA and what she's done.

Also see that the Federal DA who decided to prosecute this case announced TODAY her candidacy for Congress.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Flicklives said:
When all the facts come out I think the statement above will be proven to be true. Prosecuting riders who confess to their transgressions only serves to discourage future cooperation.

And take two seconds to look at the prosecuting ADA and what she's done.

Also see that the Federal DA who decided to prosecute this case announced TODAY her candidacy for Congress.

are you suggesting that persons that traffic in ped's shouldn't be prosecuted?

Epicycle said:
If this is true, that's really bad. Still not in the same league as the ones enjoying a luxury life based on a lie. I see some of his defenders coming out to attack Joe. I know he has done bad but not like others.

TRENDING THREADS