• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Johan Bruyneel Discussion thread.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
kim andersen is not allowed to train him anymore and be sure that jb is focussed on the riders that can do something in a gt and fuglsang has prooven he;s not among those

May 27, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
I don't like Bruyneel, but to say he should have pulled is ridiculous and just shows you're so blinded by hatred you can't look at the situation objectively.

Your hatred for the guy is warranted, but allowing yourself to be blinded by it isn't doing you any favours. Neither is your ridiculous strawmanning.

My point is that there is no glory in his victory. His victory, like his wins as a DS, was the product of someone far superior to him mentally and physically. He has ridden to glory on the backs of others and pretends he had something to do with it. I find him repulsive. However, in his shoes on that stage, I would have held on like dear life too and would only have taken the win if it were clear that Mig was okay with it. But I wouldn't then pretend it was some personal triumph on my part. The same is true of his "genius" GT wins.

As for his current tactics, I enjoy watching The Whiny Twins and him cat fight between themselves. A DS with no real ability to help his team win a GT unless he has by far the strongest rider in the race teaming up with two guys who aren't that and have proven again and again to be soft mentally and physically is fun to watch. I don't like either side, but I like the drama. The routes ASO has put together in the past few years have been so incredibly bad that one has to reach for something to make the race interesting, and Bruyneel always seems to put a soap opera on display, so call it a guilty pleasure. I would be remiss if I didn't say that I hope The Whiny Twins eventually scratch his eyes out though. Obviously they don't respect him, and I enjoy watching how that plays out personally for The Hog most of all. I'd love to see him deleted from the team or given a job in "another capacity."

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
My point is that there is no glory in his victory. His victory, like his wins as a DS, was the product of someone far superior to him mentally and physically.

and yet he found a way to win and take the 'glory', credit to him, it's one of the things that makes sport so entertaining that often it is not the superior who comes out the victor.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
and yet he found a way to win and take the 'glory', credit to him, it's one of the things that makes sport so entertaining that often it is not the superior who comes out the victor.

You can credit him if you want. I don't credit him anything.

Wigwan said:
Contador says hi..

More seriously, as much as I hate Brunyeel, he did what he thought was the best for his team and he asked for result, something both Shlecks didn't deliver this year.

Contador won DESPITE Bruyneel, not because of him. Bruyneel wasn't even in the car for Contador's victories at GTs other than the Tour. And the second Tour, Contador was there to protect Lance, not Contador.

personal said:
Yes, but with Lance he was almost guaranteed a win in the TdF, or at least a strong performance. With Schlecks... he is not.

I'm no particular fan of the Schlecks but that statement is rubbish.

Between them they're about as close a gurantee of a " strong performance" as you can get.

In the last 4 tours:

AS - three consecutive podiums.
FS - two top sizes and podium.

And prestigious stage wins for them both.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
simoni said:
I'm no particular fan of the Schlecks but that statement is rubbish.

Between them they're about as close a gurantee of a " strong performance" as you can get.

In the last 4 tours:

AS - three consecutive podiums.
FS - two top sizes and podium.

And prestigious stage wins for them both.

Alberto says hi.

Well, as expected this has somewhat turned into a Brunyeel as a racer thread and bashing.

My point of the thread, I just don't recall any other managers publicly grilling and taking cheap shots at the top riders for a early performance in such a ridiculous manner. He has back tracked on some of what he said and claims it was just now a tactic to "motivate" them. Genius!

Nobody on the Trek/Radioshack squad has actually made the podium at the TDF the past two years except the Schlecks.

I don't recall Cancellera helping out much in the mountains either. So by stating that only Cancellera, and no other riders, including the current 2/3 place finishers of last year's Le Tour, are not guaranteed a place on the team is an immature method and displays poor leadership/management skills.

I remember when Brunyeel was discussed as being the grand tour master and manager to get the Schlecks to win the Tour initially, the hopes were high that he would magically have some tactics and insights due to his experience, that would transform the Schlecks to their dreams and goals. But, that hasn't happened, and some early season poor form has left Brunyeel whining in public like a spoiled child.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
zigmeister said:
My point of the thread, I just don't recall any other managers publicly grilling and taking cheap shots at the top riders for a early performance in such a ridiculous manner. He has back tracked on some of what he said and claims it was just now a tactic to "motivate" them. Genius!

By the same token , Franky's public a show of disrespect but Bruyneel in an absolute lose-lose situation. He either has to show the world that he's letting his riders run over him, or he has to engage a public war of words with one of his top riders. Neither are exactly optimal situations, and I think it was unprofessional of Frank to behave like he did.

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I feel the opening post is a little unfair on Bruyneel's recent actions. A lot of people had sympathy with the idea Frank was thinking too much of the TdF when he pulled out of the Giro. Frank is never going to win the TdF and if recent tours are to go by, he is of little help to his brother's chances. He should be 100% focused on the other grand tours. That's what he is paid for. I felt Bruyneel was correct to show disappointment.

Bruyneel also made a good call in warning people early on that Ryder Hesjedal could very well win the Giro. This was at the point when most thought he wouldn not survive the high mountains. It shows you that he does have very good cycling sense.

http://video.gazzetta.it/team-manag...to-basso/9864b480-a1df-11e1-a84e-1186cff4059a

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:

Oh boy, you apparently didn't hear Gianni Savio go on about Rujano. In earlier days Feretti used to make a hobby of publically insulting his riders.

May 13, 2012
Visit site
pugdog said:
Oh boy, you apparently didn't hear Gianni Savio go on about Rujano. In earlier days Feretti used to make a hobby of publically insulting his riders.

Was it the Giro or the vuelta last year where Eurosport had a behind the scenes thing with Astana? The DS ended up castigating one of the riders on camera in the hotel room, telling him he's been really crap and must perform better or he will have let down the team.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Well, as expected this has somewhat turned into a Brunyeel as a racer thread and bashing.

Nobody on the Trek/Radioshack squad has actually made the podium at the TDF the past two years except the Schlecks.

I don't recall Cancellera helping out much in the mountains either. So by stating that only Cancellera, and no other riders, including the current 2/3 place finishers of last year's Le Tour, are not guaranteed a place on the team is an immature method and displays poor leadership/management skills.

I remember when Brunyeel was discussed as being the grand tour master and manager to get the Schlecks to win the Tour initially, the hopes were high that he would magically have some tactics and insights due to his experience, that would transform the Schlecks to their dreams and goals. But, that hasn't happened, and some early season poor form has left Brunyeel whining in public like a spoiled child.

Have you ever heard of a DS by the name of Patrick Lefevere? He has pretty much trashed any rider on his team who didn't perform, he especially trashes supposed GT hopeful's who don't perform to the hype they carried in to his team, not to mention if they come up with excuses. Great reading if pretty much every year.

ElChingon said:
Have you ever heard of a DS by the name of Patrick Lefevere? He has pretty much trashed any rider on his team who didn't perform, he especially trashes supposed GT hopeful's who don't perform to the hype they carried in to his team, not to mention if they come up with excuses. Great reading if pretty much every year.

Does Lefevere being a ******bag make the riders ride harder though?

9692638.jpg

actually no, this is now a johan bruynnel discussion thread. haters can still hate lovers can still love.

just be civil

zigmeister said:

Johan is just frustrated he could not transform a couple eunuchs into GT champions. They were supposed to have one more than the other guy. He should be ****ed.

TRENDING THREADS