• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Johan Bruyneel Discussion thread.

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
simoni said:
I'm no particular fan of the Schlecks but that statement is rubbish.

Between them they're about as close a gurantee of a " strong performance" as you can get.

In the last 4 tours:

AS - three consecutive podiums.
FS - two top sizes and podium.

And prestigious stage wins for them both.

After a while, strong performaces resulting in second place became another loss. And another. And another. This year it will most likely happen again.
And nobody will remember those as great achievements, only as loses.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if we can count 2011 as a "without Lance" year since Lance did race the TDU for Radioshack, but I think the year was an incredibly successfully one! The team, since it functioned as a balanced bicycle racing squad and not just the single-race group they have always been, actually impressed me and other much more knowledgable observers!

As far as motivating the Schlecks goes, I wonder how much of Johan's antics are real and not staged? Those two need to be shaken up somehow, don't ya think. Yes Andy can climb, and Frank can race, but...so?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Frank on Johan's motivation methods

"Personally, if I was a manager I wouldn't try to solve problems with my riders through the press," Schleck is quoted in the newspaper as saying. "I would discuss them internally. Maybe Bruyneel was being rushed by the team sponsors, who might be getting impatient."

21410183.jpg

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Bruyneel has no choice. Contador won't take him back, so he's left with the Schlecks. If he drops them who else can he turn to? Astana, team of Nibali, will not take him, so that's out of the question as well.

Perhaps he'll go back to JVDB, but can't see it happening to be honest. ;)

El Pistolero said:
Bruyneel has no choice. Contador won't take him back, so he's left with the Schlecks. If he drops them who else can he turn to? Astana, team of Nibali, will not take him, so that's out of the question as well.
Perhaps he'll go back to JVDB, but can't see it happening to be honest. ;)

what about a "comeback 3.0"??? is that too much?:D

Sounds like they're making this stuff up...

Schleck placed 138th, 3:10 behind today in Saint Vallier. He was left behind on the Cat. 3 climb up the Côte de la Sizeranne.

“I didn’t expect to see that scenario,” Bruyneel continued. “I haven’t spoke to Andy yet, but what’s clear is there a lack of race rhythm. The only possible explanation is that it’s been a long time without competition and a lack of rhythm.

“It’s not a disaster, we have to make a balance at the end and see how he gets out of Dauphiné.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012...ine-time-loss-sounds-radioshacks-alarm_222425

thehog said:
Sounds like they're making this stuff up...

Schleck placed 138th, 3:10 behind today in Saint Vallier. He was left behind on the Cat. 3 climb up the Côte de la Sizeranne.

“I didn’t expect to see that scenario,” Bruyneel continued. “I haven’t spoke to Andy yet, but what’s clear is there a lack of race rhythm. The only possible explanation is that it’s been a long time without competition and a lack of rhythm.

“It’s not a disaster, we have to make a balance at the end and see how he gets out of Dauphiné.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012...ine-time-loss-sounds-radioshacks-alarm_222425

LOL
pure drama...:D
there is no end in sight

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Johan is great!

He's a great manager/He was a marvelous rider. The thing is, he isn't running a popularity contest overhere, but he has a biz to run. He has put together a powerhouse, he is used to winning, and so far, the team's performance has been dismal, less than stellar. He has a responsability to fulfill to sponsors, fans, riders, staff, himself. The Shleck bros' are behaving like two spoiled grown up kids, I hate to say this; as I really like them a lot. But they were sheltered from the hardships before. Two team merged, two cultures. American and Benelux'. Some riders had to be sacrificed, such as Levi. A lot is expected of them. The sinnergy hasn't worked. Classics were the domain of Cancellara; Stage races? Frank went to the Giro w/o motivation, claiming late addition to the roster. I though we was the favorite. But Crashed and failed. Today Andy was dropped on a cat 3 little hill went he should be peaking for the Tour?

C'mom you guys, Go Johan................Make R&R, or twist

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Contador vis-a-vis Schleck bros

If RadioShack/ Nissan*Trek could live without the points which may be provided by Contador for the next two years; and if Lance could forgive the differences they had at Astana, then I swap them anytime; If money is not an issue. Now, let's see what happens to the Bros at the Tour, and to Conty' at La Vuelta. Perhaps then Johan could bring Levi back. Conty'+Levi > Schleck Bros in any stage race. Signed: Montani3Semper..............................Lanterne*Rouge

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know anything about the USADA Bruyneel arbitration? The most recent info I can find is from an article in April saying that no date had been set.

TRENDING THREADS