• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonas Vingegaard Rasmussen, the new alpha mutant

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Those were good times. Even going back further was better though. 2011 say

the winter 2011-2012 when the RadioShack Leopard merger was announced was the moment I realuzed the Clinic was something else. those few weeks were explosive. then Sky came and those heights will never ever be reached again. you saw, Jumbo won 3 GT but they won't ever reach the obsession and madness of to the Sky years.

the winter 2011-2012 when the RadioShack Leopard merger was announced was the moment I realuzed the Clinic was something else. those few weeks were explosive. then Sky came and those heights will never ever be reached again. you saw, Jumbo won 3 GT but they won't ever reach the obsession and madness of to the Sky years.
It's a bit strange the fact that it was a madness in sky years, because the numbers produced by wiggins, froome, thomas, bernal aren't even close to the numbers produced by the best guys of this generation.
Sky/ineos had a different style comparing with Jumbo. Jumbo is more offensive, has a more atractive cycling, always goes full gas, and they're best men can push unbeliavable watts. Sky/ineos had a more defensive style except for some stages where froome was offensive. Sky/ineos were stronger because they had the numbers. Rogers, froome, porte, thomas, poels, always proctecting the leader(wiggins or froome), so they're leaders didn't pushed a lot of watts because the super domestiques did the job in the majority of the situations.

We didn't saw wiggins doing an unbeliavable performance in the Tour 2012, in the mountains.

We just saw froome doing good performances sometimes, like ventoux, Pierre saint Martin or ax 3 domaines, but if we compare to today, doing 6.52 w/kg on ax 3 domaines in 21 minutes, it's very far from vingegaard doing almost 7 w/kg in 21 min on marie blanque.

Pierre saint martin was 6. 1 in 42 minutes, nothing out of this world like we saw in the past.

Jumbo causes more doubts than sky/ineos. They are much more dominant in phisically terms. Sky/ineos was more dominant because of having a super team with the biggest budget. Sometimes it was nibali/quintana against poels, landa, froome/rogers. They're leader didn't had to do unbeliavable performances.

Jumbo just doesn't care. They go full gas, they destroy the peloton and then, they're leader pushes unbeliavable watts against top competition like pogacar. Froome or wiggins never had so strong opponents.

Lol. Everytime I see someone talking about his apparent Vo2 max, the number has gone up from last time. Next year we well read reports that he got his vo2 max tested at 120 as a u23

There are two notable things about clams for Vingegaard's Vo2 max:
1. The claims I read only came out after stage 16 of the 2023 TdF.
2. I would have thought a rider with such ability would have a far superior palmarès to what Vingegaard had by July 2021?

I have been looking for the 103 Vo2 max claim for Vingegaard. I know someone claimed this in the Clinic to explain stage 16 in the TdF because I read that and never forgot it was so unbelievable. Maybe it was Twitter?

Anyway, in the article above linked by The Clogger , Vingegaard's father claimed his VO2 max was 97 ml.kg-1.min at the age of 17. I think most of us peak in our early 20s. 97 is already equal to the highest ever recorded officially. So who knows what Vingo's VO2 max might have been by 20 or 21? Yet he had no results by early July 2021 that might suggest he could do what he did on Ventoux and in the final TT at the 2021 TdF when he beat Pogacar?

Having said this, looking at the below link, what is obvious is that Vo2 max isn't the "be all and end all" for grand tour and climbing ability. The official record holder is Norway's Oskar Svendsen - a cyclist, not a cross country skier. But Svendsen doesn't have much of a palmeres. Thor Hushovd is listed as 86 and I know Stuart O'Grady claimed 92 once and is mentioned in the article comments. There are also track riders in that list who never rode a grand tour - Brett Aitken (93.9).

Last edited:
I have no idea, but I think they are all doing the same thing. Everyone in ~ top 50. I just can't see why he 'sounds stupid'.
Meant to reply on this earlier but have been distracted.

I think it’s because of what he is quoted as saying here. “I don’t take anything and I don’t think anyone else does either”.

This is quite an insulting thing to say.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I think I'm just more of a cynic than most people on here, that's why an absolute nothing burger like this story about Vingegaard's one missed test 4 years ago gets on my nerves. Give me some actual evidence please.
Agree this missed test is a nothing burger. It’s his rise from obscurity in 2021 that I cannot reconcile. My theory is Jumbo found a better responder than Roglic.

But now he compounds that with stupid statements after his missed test that he doesn’t think the peloton takes anything? Greatest time trial ever - better than Indurain?

Agree this missed test is a nothing burger. It’s his rise from obscurity in 2021 that I cannot reconcile. My theory is Jumbo found a better responder than Roglic.

But now he compounds that with stupid statements after his missed test that he doesn’t think the peloton takes anything? Greatest time trial ever - better than Indurain?
He had a broken femur in May of 2017. He was out during almost one year, that situation didn't help to get better results more sooner.

He broke the record of coll de rates on strava, that's when Jumbo was interested in doing some phsysical tests on him, and it appears that they find in the tests, that he has unbeliavable physiological parameters, thay even said that it was superior to roglic's parameters, so it makes sense to the theory you talked about "better responder than roglic".

In 2019, yet he did some decent results.

Meant to reply on this earlier but have been distracted.

I think it’s because of what he is quoted as saying here. “I don’t take anything and I don’t think anyone else does either”.

This is quite an insulting thing to say.

How is that ever insulting? It would be insulting to say he believes there are dirty riders in the peloton if asked directly.

Reactions: sworks
but this is a big nothingburger. he missed a test in 2019. you're allowed to miss a test. i'm sure it happens all the time without any nefarious intentions.
It is a big nothingburger since nothing will come of it. You're allowed to miss 3 in a calendar year.

However, the "doorbell didn't work" sounds like some prime-time BS. Laughable stuff really. I can't say I really much care, but imagining these guys are doing what they're doing clean. Well...that's not my POV. I would guess he was glowing and realized he could miss one.

We know from jumbo and Danish medias that vingegard was the most gifted climber ever, with a vo2 max of 269, but couldn't win big races before 2021 because he was anxious. Remember how he lost Tour de Poland because he couldn't sleep the night before the final stage?

Maybe he missed a test because he was too socially anxious to pick up the call and couldn't bring himself to speak to a stranger by opening the door. I'm sure this is the innocent explanation. Since then jumbo altitude camps taught him to overcome his anxiety and now he is a total Patron of the clean peloton, a vocal leader who always confidently answers for a doping test as a clean rider.

We know from jumbo and Danish medias that vingegard was the most gifted climber ever, with a vo2 max of 269, but couldn't win big races before 2021 because he was anxious. Remember how he lost Tour de Poland because he couldn't sleep the night before the final stage?

Maybe he missed a test because he was too socially anxious to pick up the call and couldn't bring himself to speak to a stranger by opening the door. I'm sure this is the innocent explanation. Since then jumbo altitude camps taught him to overcome his anxiety and now he is a total Patron of the clean peloton, a vocal leader who always confidently answers for a doping test as a clean rider.
Extremely butt hurt comment, how do you feel after writing it?

Reactions: ManicJack
“I don’t take anything and I don’t think anyone else does either”.
It's very clear he misspoke. Instead, he meant to say:
"I don't take anything special or unique that the peloton isn't doing or be available already"
;)
anyways.
What I find interesting is the timing of this revelation, given that in 2019 Jonas wasn't the ET he is today, nor he had the Palmares of Pogacar to say the "missing test" equates to a successful campaign during the year in question so..

is the UCI going back to the good old days of "protected riders umbrella"? or is the UCI doing it as warning for Jumbo NOT to win all 3 grand tours in a single year ever?

Truer words have never been spoken!
Maestro!

• Love
Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Ma Vingegaard knows, it's all down to preparation (no time for back flips in the pool!) Vingegaard's coach Tim Heemskerk spills the beans -
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...jonas-vingegaards-development-in-recent-years
"We found out that he can still achieve peak powers during training even at the end of matches [races I assume he means]. And even in a three-week competition. That sets him apart from others. It shows almost no decay. In addition, it can also do this at high altitudes and in the heat," he analyses. "And the fact that he succeeds has everything to do with preparation. With long altitude training periods. Jonas works hard for that. These internships abroad provided an extra step. He is now someone who adapts extremely quickly to different circumstances. Those growth margins are becoming smaller, but there is always room for improvement."
(Ok, even with stuffing yourself with 120 g carbs per hour plus ketones plus ice baths etc etc is it really possible, without "rocket fuel", to be just as good on stage 21 as on stage 1?)