• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonas Vingegaard Rasmussen, the new alpha mutant

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
should I trust athletes I watch on tv? what I mean, is there a need to "trust" people we don't know but for watching them ride a bike in races? trust for what?
Are you trying to deprive me of all my parasocial delusions? :poutingcat::screamcat::joycat:

Of course it matters since many people stop watching because of it.

I mean we can deny parasociality as much as we want but this forum wouldn't exist without it? People attach to riders and become emotional about it. So if they feel fooled they might feel betrayed. It seems to be human behaviour.

I personally made a 180 turn coming here after hearing Thomas Dekker the Descent. I can't watch races without picturing all the needles, blood and groupies. I came to this forum for the clinic , so I definitely care. Not because I want to cancel anyone but because it's interesting to "spot the psychopaths". I like the figuring out in itself. I like digging up facts about riders from old social media accounts etc. It's a fun hunt. It has nothing to do with my wanting to out or cancel them though. I'm not into cancel culture as it's inefficient.

But God I hope these guys are in open marriages/relationships or I suffer for the sake of their partners. For all imaginable and unimaginable reasons.

I think it was Cycling highlights channel who said they believe the doping is safer but not more clean.

If you start from the basis that they are all doping then the worst types of people in the sport are the snakeoil salesmen types. The Vaughters, Brailsfords and Armstrongs of the world who either downright lie or try to insult peoples intelligence by selling an illusion.

Armstrong is back making money from the sport again so he’s not going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Same with Horner.
Even Rasmussen is back! That actually happened during the four years I've started watching cycling.

But think about it this way; they have to choose between killing the sport or keep quiet. I know what my pick would be.

Reactions: ontheroad
If you start from the basis that they are all doping then the worst types of people in the sport are the snakeoil salesmen types. The Vaughters, Brailsfords and Armstrongs of the world who either downright lie or try to insult peoples intelligence by selling an illusion.

Armstrong is back making money from the sport again so he’s not going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Same with Horner.
Yeah, they're absolutely the worst. First have the big cry about "I'm so sorry I wish I had never done it" yadayadayada and then you turn your back and say "boys are cleanz now. Look at Teddy. I wanna pinch his cheek he's such a perfect son."

I wish someone just had the honesty to say "I did it. I don't regret it. If I had to choose I would do it again" and then just never come back to the sport.

Yeah, they're absolutely the worst. First have the big cry about "I'm so sorry I wish I had never done it" yadayadayada and then you turn your back and say "boys are cleanz now. Look at Teddy. I wanna pinch his cheek he's such a perfect son."

I wish someone just had the honesty to say "I did it. I don't regret it. If I had to choose I would do it again" and then just never come back to the sport.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7FqpArrlN0

Is Landis the closest?

Reactions: Monte Serra
In memory of better times, I've updated the OP with a collage:

4Nry7Qy.png

Are you trying to deprive me of all my parasocial delusions? :poutingcat::screamcat::joycat:

Of course it matters since many people stop watching because of it.

I mean we can deny parasociality as much as we want but this forum wouldn't exist without it? People attach to riders and become emotional about it. So if they feel fooled they might feel betrayed. It seems to be human behaviour.

I personally made a 180 turn coming here after hearing Thomas Dekker the Descent. I can't watch races without picturing all the needles, blood and groupies. I came to this forum for the clinic , so I definitely care. Not because I want to cancel anyone but because it's interesting to "spot the psychopaths". I like the figuring out in itself. I like digging up facts about riders from old social media accounts etc. It's a fun hunt. It has nothing to do with my wanting to out or cancel them though. I'm not into cancel culture as it's inefficient.

But God I hope these guys are in open marriages/relationships or I suffer for the sake of their partners. For all imaginable and unimaginable reasons.

I think it was Cycling highlights channel who said they believe the doping is safer but not more clean.

I haven't read any book nor watched any piece about riders, dopers, etc. I clearly remember the huge HUGE Sky obsession of some people here and on twitter about Froome (his every action in and out of the races was followed and mocked, baited, scrutinized, moaned about, angered, etc etc)
other than that I don't know what riders do outside of races nor I dig up old stuff from twitter. no doping investigation had me shocked or let down. I just recently took the time to update myself about the Armstrong saga that caused his downfall, but I probably know 10% of it.
I loved and LOVE Bradley Wiggins. I don't need to trust him. OOC cortisone is what he did. well if that's what it took to win then be it. I'll never EVER stop watching the sport whatever happens.
maybe if my teenage idol Miguel Indurain was found with a needle in his arm and that picture was shown to me as 15 yo kid I'd probably been very let down.

Danish dinasty.

Rasmussen look like he is 90 years old in the pic of the middle.
So this is proof that Vingo is doping? Riis admitted to doping, Rasmussen admitted to doping, both are from Denmark like Vingo, both wore yellow shirts like Vingo. Ergo Vingo is doping. It will be proof of doping for Jorgenson if he puts on the yellow jersey at any point in this year's TDF (or next), being that he is American and wearing a yellow shirt just like known dopers Armstrong and Landis.

So this is proof that Vingo is doping? Riis admitted to doping, Rasmussen admitted to doping, both are from Denmark like Vingo, both wore yellow shirts like Vingo. Ergo Vingo is doping. It will be proof of doping for Jorgenson if he puts on the yellow jersey at any point in this year's TDF (or next), being that he is American and wearing a yellow shirt just like known dopers Armstrong and Landis.
Greg LeMond also wore yellow and is American, so maybe it cancels out?

Everybody "is in the mix". I will not tell a certain rider is not doped like the every other rider of the peloton, just because he is my favourite rider.

It would be pure fanboysm.

Reactions: pastronef
Greg LeMond also wore yellow and is American, so maybe it cancels out?
The track record doesn't look good for Americans in Yellow.

There's only been 5 Americans to ever wear Yellow; Tour winners LeMond, LA & Landis. Zabriskie wore Yellow for 4 stages in 2005 when he beat LA in the stage 1 TT. Hincapie wore Yellow in 2006 after stage 1.

4 out of the 5 are confirmed dopers.

If Vingegaard is competitive or even in last years/better shape at the Tour I expect him to be absolutely glowing. What are the odds he has a positive come up?
I think we'll see Vingegaard in version Alien 2.0. Glued to Pogacar's wheel until they reach the most decisive mountain stage(s), then destroy him. That's been the recipe the last couple of years.

Just saw this article where Visma claims their approach to nutrition can improve performances up to 17 %, "a lead that's almost impossible for other teams to catch up with": https://m.feltet.dk/nyheder/visma_har_fordel_som_pogacar_ikke_er_taet_paa/

Last edited:
If Vingegaard is competitive or even in last years/better shape at the Tour I expect him to be absolutely glowing. What are the odds he has a positive come up?
He wouldn't be starting if he isn't strong enough to compete for the win. I really can't imagine how you can prepare for TdF so fast without taking major risk for your health and strong doping behind your back.

I broke my radius bone in mid April, the bone healing alone took 5-6 weeks, and now I'm during rehabilitation process. I'm not allowed to train hard (e g. weightlifting) until August. I'm not a professional athlete so they can probably shorten that period with special treatment but it's hard to imagine they can be ready for TdF with just 4-6 weeks prep.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
He wouldn't be starting if he isn't strong enough to compete for the win. I really can't imagine how you can prepare for TdF so fast without taking major risk for your health and strong doping behind your back.

I broke my radius bone in mid April, the bone healing alone took 5-6 weeks, and now I'm during rehabilitation process. I'm not allowed to train hard (e g. weightlifting) until August. I'm not a professional athlete so they can probably shorten that period with special treatment but it's hard to imagine they can be ready for TdF with just 4-6 weeks prep.
It depends how they've fast-tracked his recovery. For one I would assume he's been on a course of corticosteroids because it's legal out of competition and would have been prescribed by the medics treating him in hospital, if that carries on into Le Tour he'll be granted an rTUE for it if a risk of testing for them by UCI. How much of a benefit it would have a month later after he is back on the bike, who knows. Clearly Jumbo are not doing a Madiot and denying Jonas medical treatment until end of year.

Reactions: pastronef
Visma were going to send Vingegaard to the Tour as long as he was fit.

I do believe he's juiced to the max, obviously. I also don't think Visma is some sort of saintly organization which cares about rider health, nor do I believe they'd 'protect' Vingegaard & not send him to the TdF if he's not good enough to win. He's their star rider so he's on the team. It's as simple as that. The result will be what it'll be.

I think 'everyone dopes' is literally a thing in the top half of the UCI rankings. It's an arms race & I'm still shocked the whole Armstrong saga didn't really awaken most to that fact (he took the fall for everyone else's sins, apparently). Honestly the 'people' (press & cycling fans alike) come across as way more naïve & gullible now than ever before.

So what's really going on here? The biggest responder in world cycling (our friend Vingo) got badly hurt early April. They've fixed him the best they can, they've juiced him the best they can & now they're sending him to the Tour because that's what the sponsors want.

After some consideration I've reached the conclusion he'll be 'okay' but nowhere near the yellow jersey. He might grab a stage win though (this will be painted as a big win in & of itself). I don't believe he'll win the Tour because that would entail Visma doing something extraordinary to cut corners which no one else has access to, i.e. a boost only available to them. Maybe on one stage with a carefully timed 'trick', it's possible (like Combloux, i.e. whatever that was), but over 3 weeks? No. Pog will destroy him. In fact there's a few others on the startlist who'll also do much better in GC.

The truth is we've already seen subpar Vingegaard (Paris-Nice 2022, week 1 of Vuelta 2023), so we almost know what to expect, i.e. there or thereabouts.

That's my opinion.