• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Butterfly Effect

Page 236 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He looks super fit. The questions are: is he mentally up for the fight and will the absence of racing leave him in dept deep into the Tour.

Two biggest doubts are:
1) Decline of physical form at some point due to rushed preparation (starting from scratch and optimizing w/kg as quickly as possible - in like 6-7 weeks).
2) Mental aspect: the fear of dangerous, fast riding. It can sting him on Galibier stage already (If Pog can't gap him on the ascent he will try on the descent).

Reactions: Extinction
He looks super fit. The questions are: is he mentally up for the fight and will the absence of racing leave him in dept deep into the Tour?
You can look super fit and still not be feeling well. Training doesn’t equal race condition.

If you're thinking about his lungs, I believe they've been replaced with some kind of Rube Goldberg machine, which can be operated from the Visma control room.
We could see him in an Iron Lung if any can be found operational.

De Plus: "I hear from good sources that Vingegaard is more than ready". Wonder what sources.

You are spot on. Recently I got to know a source inside JV. A female but I can't tell you more details. The plan is to survive Pogacar's onslaught in the first part of the race, limit the losses and gain in the last weekend. If everything goes well, Vingo should be able to make up some time on Bonette stage already but the Tsar-Bomb is prepared for Nice TT. This is where Grischa will tell the password and the world will shatter. UAE, Bora and QS guys will be like:

images

Mission for UAE is simple, see to it that Pog is relatively fresh in the 3rd week so he doesn't crack and lose minutes. Therefore it is a bit risky to go too hard in the beginning of the tour. It must really pay off. I Vinge looks solid, then save energy for the 3rd week and just collect bonus seconds when possible during week 1 and 2. He will take 30s on Vinge in the first itt.

Mission for UAE is simple, see to it that Pog is relatively fresh in the 3rd week so he doesn't crack and lose minutes. Therefore it is a bit risky to go too hard in the beginning of the tour. It must really pay off. I Vinge looks solid, then save energy for the 3rd week and just collect bonus seconds when possible during week 1 and 2. He will take 30s on Vinge in the first itt.
If all big 3/4 take it easy the first two weeks. We will have a boooooring Tour.

I agree that UAE should keep Pog fresh. However, Pogacar always tries to win all the stages he can. This has been his Achilles heel in 2022 and 2023. We will also see how he recovers from Covid.

I still have hopes for Vingegaard. You are underestimating his chances in the time trials. In the last two Tours Pogacar only beat him by 8 seconds in the wet Copenhagen tt. Vingegaard won the subsequent two.

Reactions: Medvind
I agree that UAE should keep Pog fresh. However, Pogacar always tries to win all the stages he can. This has been his Achilles heel in 2022 and 2023. We will also see how he recovers from Covid.

I still have hopes for Vingegaard. You are underestimating his chances in the time trials. In the last two Tours Pogacar only beat him by 8 seconds in the wet Copenhagen tt. Vingegaard won the subsequent two.
Reasons I think Pog will take 30s on Vinge in the first itt is that it is not as hilly as the last one, Vinge -due to injuries- haven't trained on the itt bike that much before the tour, Vinge's form might not be super until the last week, and that Pog's tt seems to have improved. Sure, I might be wrong, but this is what I think. :)

Reactions: dennisdy
Reasons I think Pog will take 30s on Vinge in the first itt is that it is not as hilly as the last one, Vinge -due to injuries- haven't trained on the itt bike that much before the tour, Vinge's form might not be super until the last week, and that Pog's tt seems to have improved. Sure, I might be wrong, but this is what I think. :)
Probably Pog will take 30 on Vingegaard because the TT setup of Visma is trash, unless they improved that area.