• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Butterfly Effect

Page 209 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think Jumbo are greedy enough to send their golden eggs laying chicken to the Tour and hence risking a goddamn epic barbecue because it didn't get enough recovery.

The first week of the Giro sawJumbo without any riders, without WVA and Jonas. I reckon there's a bit of good sense there.

Roglic about to get the whole crowd on its feet chipping away bonuses to develop a solid 17 second lead against an undercooked Vingegaard before the second week starts.
honest-work-meme-wide-bd1dfbe2e7656eec70a8d375129c9df98b7c9e07.jpg

Sad thing is I'd probably rather Roglic win than the other two but his best strategy, i.e going ballistic with his team on stage 4 and hoping Pogacar/Vingegaard came in cold just isn't his style.
I also would slightly prefer Roglic to win but I don't see him making it 3 weeks without a crash. Especially on bora. That's more of the problem than strategy to me

Roglic has had his share of bad luck, the gods will grant him a crash free Tour, you can quote me after.
Even if he does, I can't see him winning. Roglic only beat Thomas in the Giro last year by about 14 seconds and was even dropped last year on one stage. Maybe Thomas isn't quite as good this year, but I imagine his form is fairly similar, but Pogi is winning by 7 minutes and it could have been more had Pogi not been saving himself for the Tour. This was Roglic's main goal last year, so he should have been in almost top form. Plus, Roglic hasn't been so strong this year anyway. Roglic is clearly better than Thomas, but they are close to being equals. Yete it is crazy to consider Thomas being a contender to Pogi. Yes Pogi and Jonas haven't had ideal prep, but they are just too much better than Roglic for him to have a chance

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Even if he does, I can't see him winning. Roglic only beat Thomas in the Giro last year by about 14 seconds and was even dropped last year on one stage. Maybe Thomas isn't quite as good this year, but I imagine his form is fairly similar, but Pogi is winning by 7 minutes and it could have been more had Pogi not been saving himself for the Tour. This was Roglic's main goal last year, so he should have been in almost top form. Plus, Roglic hasn't been so strong this year anyway. Roglic is clearly better than Thomas, but they are close to being equals. Yete it is crazy to consider Thomas being a contender to Pogi. Yes Pogi and Jonas haven't had ideal prep, but they are just too much better than Roglic for him to have a chance

When Roglič is demonstrably better in the Tour 2024 than he was in the Giro 2023, some people are going to act all surprised like "how is this possible?!".

But anyone who actually watched the Giro can tell you two things about Rog's form in that race: he crashed hard in the Tao GH DNF crash, aka an injury which he carried all the way to Rome. The other thing is he hates bad weather as well (rain & cold are pretty much a form of kryptonite for Rog).

If you want to see what he can do, just watch the Angliru stage in last year's Vuelta. It's a much better indicator.

When Roglič is demonstrably better in the Tour 2024 than he was in the Giro 2023, some people are going to act all surprised like "how is this possible?!".

But anyone who actually watched the Giro can tell you two things about Rog's form in that race: he crashed hard in the Tao GH DNF crash, aka an injury which he carried all the way to Rome. The other thing is he hates bad weather as well (rain & cold are pretty much a form of kryptonite for Rog).

If you want to see what he can do, just watch the Angliru stage in last year's Vuelta. It's a much better indicator.
Yes, he was better on La Vuelta, but still not enough to drop a cooked Vingegaard, like we saw on Angliru and Jalavambre.

He had his epic Covadonga triumph in bad weather though. Other than that I agree, the last Giro was about overcoming crash effects and he did it at the end but the race was far from smooth sailing. Had this crucial ITT been one week earlier he would've likely lost it.

He had his epic Covadonga triumph in bad weather though. Other than that I agree, the last Giro was about overcoming crash effects and he did it at the end but the race was far from smooth sailing. Had this crucial ITT been one week earlier he would've likely lost it.

This will be the most unscientific thing I've posted in a while but I assume Covadonga (I came to this conclusion years ago) was 'okay' because other than the summits where it was cooler, down in the valley it mostly mild summer rain in Spain.

But whenever the rain jackets come out & the temperature plummets, Rog has problems. Like Formigal 2020. It might sound absurd to fans of other riders but for Rog fans we tend to pray for hot sunny weather. I know I definitely do.

The hotter the better, actually (like the very hot Olympics ITT in Japan).

Yes, he was better on La Vuelta, but still not enough to drop a cooked Vingegaard, like we saw on Angliru and Jalavambre.

He still comfortably beat him in the ITT though.

This will be the most unscientific thing I've posted in a while but I assume Covadonga (I came to this conclusion years ago) was 'okay' because other than the summits where it was cooler, down in the valley it mostly mild summer rain in Spain.

But whenever the rain jackets come out & the temperature plummets, Rog has problems. Like Formigal 2020. It might sound absurd to fans of other riders but for Rog fans we tend to pray for hot sunny weather. I know I definitely do.

The hotter the better, actually (like the very hot Olympics ITT in Japan).

He still comfortably beat him in the ITT though.
Just like Roglic wasn't at 100% on the Giro, Vingegaard wasn't at 100% on the Vuelta, and he was also sick in the first days.

Looks like some replies got deleted still Rogla won Giro hence whatever he was doing was perfect. As for Vuelta 2023. That was a display of dominance and inner team politics. When it comes to inner team politics, that for sure wasn't favourable for Rogla. But it is what it is. Visma can now fully push for Jonas and Bora hopefully for Rogla and let the best one win with respective team(s) fully behind them.

Reactions: acm