• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Butterfly Effect

Page 240 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A cycling team lied about their star rider's form? No way.

Ofc, it's possible (IMHO still likely) that Vinge will not have the deep fitness base required to sustain hard efforts for 3wks. Reversing the roles, Pogo could sustain these kinds of short ones just fine during the first couple weeks last year. So, thinking ahead, the expectation is that Vinge might as well collapse at a point.

But maybe Vinge is different and defies everything I think I know about these things.

Rewatching it, the team also made a big difference today. UAE were unable to drill the first ascent while Vingegaard started both ascents in perfect position. Yates only got to the front ~halfway up the second ascent and Pogi's attack was quite late, after the steepest part.
The difference between Visma and UAE is simply night and day. UAE might have all the watts in the world, but I don't think Ayuso and Almeida have made a single pull this race, while Visma is perfectly using all their guys. I've lost count how many times Pogacar has gone into a crucial short climb out of position and with no teammates in sight.

A cycling team lied about their star rider's form? No way.

Ofc, it's possible (IMHO still likely) that Vinge will not have the deep fitness base required to sustain hard efforts for 3wks. Reversing the roles, Pogo could sustain these kinds of short ones just fine during the first couple weeks last year. So, thinking ahead, the expectation is that Vinge might as well collapse at a point.

But maybe Vinge is different and defies everything I think I know about these things.

Vingo paying the price for his rushed preparations is definitely a plausible scenario this year. But we have to remember that Pogi can also pay for his efforts (GT double attempt).

Jumbo always play their chances down for some reason. The number of times Wout & Roglic won in devastating fashion after claiming they've been sick, not feeling 100%, didn't have good feelings, didn't think would be a factor, didn't have good preparation etc, I just don't believe a word they say. Even yesterday Wout said he is entering the race in the worst shape he's ever been and almost won one of the toughest opening Tour stages in a long time.

Reactions: Gratemans
My answer to the poll has changed from not strongest on his team to will be strong early on but fade late. Attrition is what I’d expect to be his limiting factor after what he’s been through, despite normally being his strong suit. I do believe in cycling miracles though so nothing will be a surprise.

The difference between Visma and UAE is simply night and day. UAE might have all the watts in the world, but I don't think Ayuso and Almeida have made a single pull this race, while Visma is perfectly using all their guys. I've lost count how many times Pogacar has gone into a crucial short climb out of position and with no teammates in sight.

And dont forget Pog had to accelerate to get his own bottles

Im not Vingegaard biggest advocate and fan but I have no problem appriciating people who has had missfortunes/adversity and have the dedication and will to put themself thru hell and comeback thats easy to respect for me and deserve anything they get so good on you Jonas.

Glad he seems to be fine and that he is on this level now is also nothing but respectable for me.

Reactions: Peter von
Jonas won't fade in the third week. Look at his performance over the past three years. He has always moved up in the final week. In 2021 he moved from third to second. In 2022+2023 he increased his lead.

Pogacar was my pick because I expected Vingegaard to fall behind on this stage. However, when Pogacar jumped, Jonas was right on his wheel. His fastest reaction to Pogacar ever. He will keep getting stronger!

Totally. There should have been a UAE guy to further jamb the summit before the descent to give them a bigger gap and slow any pursuit. It was a sh*tshow of guys trying to get a line to chase that helped the gap but it could have been bigger. Both Pog and Vingo took some large risks on the descent for a handful of seconds.
It may be the way to get a lead early on but some of the strategy looked amateurish except Jonas' positioning. It was spot on.

Reactions: Peter von
Jonas won't fade in the third week. Look at his performance over the past three years. He has always moved up in the final week. In 2021 he moved from third to second. In 2022+2023 he increased his lead.

Pogacar was my pick because I expected Vingegaard to fall behind on this stage. However, when Pogacar jumped, Jonas was right on his wheel. His fastest reaction to Pogacar ever. He will keep getting stronger!
This is a whole new world for Jonas. Prior performances might give him some encouragement but his prep is nothing like those efforts. Jonas was well positioned and Pogi made a last second impulsive jump.

Its hard to say,but jonas probably has best recovery ever.his vo2 max recovery and fatigue resistence looks out of this world.his base vo2max is 97,thats crazy even for guys like pog,hinault,mercxx,pantani or lemond.his durability is unmatched.