• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard thread: Mountain Sprinter

Page 162 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In 13 days:

T16_s04_petrano_alt-FIN.jpg
The steep 13% section seems like a good place to attack.

Reactions: Sandisfan
With how Bernal and especially Martinez have been going, his competition in O Gran Camiño looks to have been quite good.

Tomorrow and especially Thursday could see a fight for bonus seconds, after that we'll see if he needs to make a move on San Giacomo already.

Gualdo Tadino is the same final 1.5 km as in 2021, but harder run-in.

2021:
zdqP4dS.png

2024:
T961ZLN.png

Van der Poel won ahead of Van Aert back then, Higuita 4th and Pogi 8th. So Ayuso could be in play.

Last edited:
Kruijswijk better be ready, I don't think blobloblo is good enough to make a proper launch.
Honestly, i don't understand why Kruijswijk is listed to the Tour de France, he doesn't have the level anymore to be a good help to vingegaard. I would take kelderman instead of him to the Tour.

Kuss+jorgenson+kelderman would be the perfect help for vingegaard in the mountains.

I hope vallter and uijdtbroeks can make the climb really hard until vingegaard launches his attack.

Reactions: Sandisfan
San Giacomo tomorrow (23.6 km to go), 6 km at 7.2 % in the middle:

sZJe3u1uttClifeemv9K_150224-100101.jpg

I don't think it's hard enough, but we'll see.
I think it's hard enough. The steeper pinch is just long enough and at the perfect point in the climb IMO to torch everyone.

IMO it's the sort of climb that's conventionally too easy in that position, but given Vingegaards GC position and presumed superiority over everyone else I'm very bullish that he'll just dust everyone off his wheel.

Finale is hard enough to make a chase difficult and waiting on domestiques pretty bad.

I don't see Ayuso hanging on, but maybe he closes a gap with a kamikaze descent.

Honestly, i don't understand why Kruijswijk is listed to the Tour de France, he doesn't have the level anymore to be a good help to vingegaard. I would take kelderman instead of him to the Tour.

Kuss+jorgenson+kelderman would be the perfect help for vingegaard in the mountains.

I hope vallter and uijdtbroeks can make the climb really hard until vingegaard launches his attack.
Kruijswijk is more reliable and in peak form he is probably still a better climber than the rest. Knows what it takes and a great super-dom. One of the most trusted in the supporting cast for them.

Jorgenson... still new to the team.

Valter... never raced the Tour or done much domestic work in a GT, yet.

Kelderman... crash prone.

Uijtebroeks... not experienced.

I'm not convinced he'll be able to break Ayuso in this race, although Ayuso won't be able be part of a UAE tag team like in the one-day races he's ridden this year.

That would be true in July, but his ITT was very underwhelming and does not suggest he is in good shape in March? Maybe he is more vulnerable?

I think that was mostly due to the course and the fact that UAE's TT bikes are currently better than Visma's (at least on the flat). It's a shame we didn't get too see him go all out in the ITT in Galicia, so we could have had a better impression. His climbing hasn't seemed to be below par yet, so I don't think he's in bad shape. The effect from his altitude camp should also still be there.

That would be true in July, but his ITT was very underwhelming and does not suggest he is in good shape in March? Maybe he is more vulnerable?
Gran Camino would tell us differently. Was dropping Bernal for fun on a bunch of cat 3 climbs, and now we see Bernal actually doing well in Paris Nice.

Also, if we compare his ITT to the 2022 Tirreno ITT where he was still best of the rest, he got 27th then on a better setup than they have now.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I think it's hard enough. The steeper pinch is just long enough and at the perfect point in the climb IMO to torch everyone.

IMO it's the sort of climb that's conventionally too easy in that position, but given Vingegaards GC position and presumed superiority over everyone else I'm very bullish that he'll just dust everyone off his wheel.

Finale is hard enough to make a chase difficult and waiting on domestiques pretty bad.

I don't see Ayuso hanging on, but maybe he closes a gap with a kamikaze descent.
He can also increase the advantage with his skills on the descent.

Reactions: SHAD0W93