• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard thread: Mountain Sprinter

Page 231 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Screenshot-20240619-130448-Chrome.jpg

At least now Remco weighs less because he doesn't have this hair, but logic is still complaining.

Vingegaard had a similar hair.

Too bad JV-QS merger didn't happen. Remco's own mother wouldn't recognize him after starvation camps with Vingo.

If he isn't good enough to fight for the win (or even a podium), I can see the team using him in a "2022 Roglic on Galibier" role, as bait to make Pogacar and UAE panic and make mistakes.
At least that's what I hope, because frankly the race needs it...

Just that Pogacar this time around seems to have a super strong team. They'd somehow have to get rid of everyone but Pogacar first, and on top of that Jorgensen (I suppose he's plan B) would have to be able to pose a threat to Pogacar in the first place. The way things stand right now I'd expect this to happen to a Jumbo rider this time, chasing Almeida or Ayuso and Pogi still would be left with Yates.

But remember anything can happen in the Tour. 10 years ago Froome was expected to win easily with a strong team to back him up, with Contador his nearest rival.

Froome didn't make it past the 5th day of racing, Contador didn't get past the first rest day. So Nibali won instead.

So sure UAE look strong, Pog as a favourite, but the rider who wins is the one who finishes the race in 1st place, not always the strongest & favourite at the start.

Even a not fully fit Vingegaard still has a chance, and will occupy UAEs thinking, which might enable other Visma riders to win stages.

As I've said before there are no downsides to Visma picking him.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
It's pretty clear he won't be at his absolute best. I guess Jumbo are hoping he'll be somewhere between Paris-Nice 2023/Tour 2021 or at best Vuelta 2023 level.
So a level below Pogacar but competitive for the podium. And if Pogacar crashes/gets sick suddenly all kind of things are possible.

If he's clearly below that they better pull the plug completely and build towards later season target (whatever they are if he doesnt do Vuelta for whatever reason) because having him ride around like Vuelta Andy Schleck without the pub visits would be a total waste.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I'll never understand how some people could be even for 2 seconds expecting him to be in winning TdF shape after that crash... I mean being a fanboy is one thing but come on... even him just be somewhat able to start and finish TdF should be considered a miracle no matter what Visma/teammates were saying last weeks
To be fair, doing what he did in the last 2 Tours to a rider like Pogacar makes almost anything believable.

I suspect Matteo Jorgenson is in the trickiest of 'political' positions right now... because he probably has the best numbers in the team with 10 days to go until the TdF.

So how do you prepare for the Tour tactically when your star rider isn't as good as another guy on the team? Do they keep Vingegaard protected & hope he gets better in the third week? Or do they do an all-in on Jorgenson for the podium (which based on his Dauphiné form seems like a realistic target).

I mean I'm just speculating here but I honestly do believe right here & now Jorgenson is Visma's best climber & best rouleur as things stand.

I suspect Matteo Jorgenson is in the trickiest of 'political' positions right now... because he probably has the best numbers in the team with 10 days to go until the TdF.

So how do you prepare for the Tour tactically when your star rider isn't as good as another guy on the team? Do they keep Vingegaard protected & hope he gets better in the third week? Or do they do an all-in on Jorgenson for the podium (which based on his Dauphiné form seems like a realistic target).

I mean I'm just speculating here but I honestly do believe right here & now Jorgenson is Visma's best climber & best rouleur as things stand.
It'll be Kuss, Vingo, and Jorgenson on the podium, with all the political drama of last year's Vuelta.

Or not.

Jorgensen is a one week racer. I’d still put money on Kuss over him, but it’s not out of the question for him to prove otherwise.

Reactions: Boehmand
Jorgensen is a one week racer. I’d still put money on Kuss over him, but it’s not out of the question for him to prove otherwise.

I think this is pretty much the basis of all Visma's issues right now, i.e. on 'paper', there's no match. Vingegaard is the best GT rider in the world & Sepp Kuss is one of the best climbers in the world.

But, due to unforeseen factors (Vingegaard's injuries & Sepp Kuss's loss of form) it becomes apparent to me at least Matteo Jorgenson is probably the best rider on the team right now from a GC perspective.

I think they'll try to protect both Jorgenson & Vingegaard in the first couple of weeks. I'm less sure about Kuss.

I think this is pretty much the basis of all Visma's issues right now, i.e. on 'paper', there's no match. Vingegaard is the best GT rider in the world & Sepp Kuss is one of the best climbers in the world.

But, due to unforeseen factors (Vingegaard's injuries & Sepp Kuss's loss of form) it becomes apparent to me at least Matteo Jorgenson is probably the best rider on the team right now from a GC perspective.

I think they'll try to protect both Jorgenson & Vingegaard in the first couple of weeks. I'm less sure about Kuss.
I don’t know what’s going on with Kuss but it’s still hard not to imagine him being his usual self at the Tour. I guess we’ll see.

Of course they keep Vingegaard projected, lol. Just like Roglic was in 2022 when Jonas had the best numbers. Otherwise there's no really point of bringing him now, is there? You hope he gets through and find his legs in the Pyrenees, and thats by far your best chance of winning the race anyways.

What a weird post.

Of course they keep Vingegaard projected, lol. Just like Roglic was in 2022 when Jonas had the best numbers. Otherwise there's no really point of bringing him now, is there? You hope he gets through and find his legs in the Pyrenees, and thats by far your best chance of winning the race anyways.

What a weird post.

The context is entirely different though. Vingegaard is coming back from a huge injury without any warm-up races & his form is a question mark, as is his 'longevity' in the Tour. It could go either way. He might get better over the 21 stages or he could blow-up entirely. Jorgenson meanwhile doesn't have as higher ceiling on paper but right now I reckon he's the safest bet.

The post isn't 'weird' FYI, it's basically bike racing 1.01 (& the same thing Vingegaard fans banged their drums about back in 2022), i.e. the team should back the strongest guy.

For Matteo Jorgenson that means establishing himself as 'leader' on the road, even when he has a teammate called Vingegaard. I said it's tricky because it's also self-contained over the next month, i.e. by August it's quite possible that Vingegaard will be back at his best level again - yet in the meantime Jorgenson is probably 'the guy' for the Tour.

Ofc its not similar to 2022, but its still a weird ass post. If you bring Vingegaard, you back him and you believe he can win the race if the stars allign. Matteo can't. Meanwhile he can still do his own GC regardless of Jonas. Its 2024 and people still has to obsess over who the captain and what not while in reality all these big teams have multiple great options (and will keep them relevant as in GC as long as they can), but only a select few riders can still win the entire thing.

Wouldn't have worked, seeing as the mountain GOAT is in Tignes. Hardly off the radar. They - UAE - know he's been training very well, flying up Iseran.
Ofc its not similar to 2022, but its still a weird ass post. If you bring Vingegaard, you back him and you believe he can win the race if the stars allign. Matteo can't. Meanwhile he can still do his own GC regardless of Jonas. Its 2024 and people still has to obsess over who the captain and what not while in reality all these big teams have multiple great options (and will keep them relevant as in GC as long as they can), but only a select few riders can still win the entire thing.

C'mon.........i always thought you two were the same user! I never noticed there were 2 Vavl pitis.

I'll never understand how some people could be even for 2 seconds expecting him to be in winning TdF shape after that crash... I mean being a fanboy is one thing but come on... even him just be somewhat able to start and finish TdF should be considered a miracle no matter what Visma/teammates were saying last weeks
Miracles happens a lot in cycling, just look at the history. This is not a normal sport. Steff cras was doing miracles in Tour Slovenia.