• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Joseph Dombrowski

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
so staying with them was not exactly easy.
And that signifies my point.
Winning GT stages on regular basis is not easy and having shortcoming as a potential GC rider doesn't make a rider automaticaly suitable for being a successful stage hunter.

It doesn't get any easier for Dombrowski because if he is not dropping guys like Ciccone and Masnada on Mortirolo, he won't do it on a lesser climb and when guys like Landa or Nibali drop out of GC and start stage-hunting, they're even harder to beat on stages like that than Ciccone and Masnada so Joe won't get an opportunity better than that more than 3-4 times during his career.

He's a former mountainbiker, so his descending should be decent enough compared to a climber like Moncoutie who actually was a great stage hunter from breakaways, despite his technique limits and weaknesses on the flats!

If you're fully correct and Dombrowski can't develop into a mountain stage hunter, he seriously should consider to quit and get an office job as long as he doesn't want to be a super-domestique either.

Because what has he really to offer, then?

He actually started with Trek and rode for Sky before joining Vaughters. Both he and Boswell were at Sky and thought to be possible GC guys of future. Neither panned out there, though Joe had an artery issue in his legs that stalled him.

He did finish 12th in the Giro in 2019 which seemed like he was finally finding his form but really not much since. Good day on Thursday and he could possibly be in pink.

He says UAE was "noncommital" about renewing his contract, hence move to Astana. I guess UAE can't see a place for a mid-career rider who's a potential GT stage winner, but not a great domestique. That makes sense -- they need all hands on deck for Pog/Almeida.

He should have some chances at Astana.

Crashing out at the Giro -- and crashing out Landa -- was a real downer for me. He seemed to be in really good form.

He says UAE was "noncommital" about renewing his contract, hence move to Astana. I guess UAE can't see a place for a mid-career rider who's a potential GT stage winner, but not a great domestique. That makes sense -- they need all hands on deck for Pog/Almeida.

He should have some chances at Astana.

Crashing out at the Giro -- and crashing out Landa -- was a real downer for me. He seemed to be in really good form.
I kinda disagree about him not being a great domestique, he rode a really good Giro as a climbing suprdomestique for Uran back in 2016.
If you tell him to take it easy on the more nervous flat/hilly stages to have him fresh for the high mountains (like Sky/Ineos often did with Poels) you can get a lot out of him as a domestique.

Reactions: Roku
It's taken years for him to recover after being trained byVaughters.
Such a weird pun to have at a rider who's actually had his best season in his career while being trained by Vaughters.

I kinda disagree about him not being a great domestique, he rode a really good Giro as a climbing suprdomestique for Uran back in 2016.
We have a very different recollection of Giro 2016 because I don't recall him performing anywhere near what you would call a "climbing superdomestique".

I remember he spent most of the race going into breakaways, hunting for stages etc. And on stages he didn't, he wasn't anywhere near close to be the most dependable support rider for Uran in the mountains because that would be by far Andre Cardoso. The team didn't do much work for Uran anyway because the tactical situation in the race didn't justify it. They actually put much more effort into riding the breakaways and trying to win a stage.

The occasions I remember Domrowski doing valuable work for his leaders were California 2014 for Wiggins and Suisse 2016 for Talansky. Not much beyond that.

Such a weird pun to have at a rider who's actually had his best season in his career while being trained by Vaughters.

We have a very different recollection of Giro 2016 because I don't recall him performing anywhere near what you would call a "climbing superdomestique".

I remember he spent most of the race going into breakaways, hunting for stages etc. And on stages he didn't, he wasn't anywhere near close to be the most dependable support rider for Uran in the mountains because that would be by far Andre Cardoso. The team didn't do much work for Uran anyway because the tactical situation in the race didn't justify it. They actually put much more effort into riding the breakaways and trying to win a stage.

The occasions I remember Domrowski doing valuable work for his leaders were California 2014 for Wiggins and Suisse 2016 for Talansky. Not much beyond that.
He stayed with Uran on the Giau when Scarponi started drilling it and you only had 11 riders in that group (Amador and Fuglsang got dropped) and was there until things exploded early on the Valparola, that was an impressive climbing performance and what I mostly remember from him during that Giro. He crashed on the Valparola descent and lost a lot of time, but was still able to finish 8h in the MTT one day later.
Overall he sems to be rather consistent in the high mountains when he's on form, but very hot and cold on hilly stages and bad on hectic flat stages.

Reactions: Cookster15

Such a weird post by yourself - The post you referenced was posted a long time ago and Dombrowski has been out of EF since 2019 - I doubt Vaughters is still training Dombrowski.

So based on the interview on the front page he is comfortable in his role. I think that his baby Giro results set him up to never live up to expectations, plus his health hasn't been stellar. Hopefully he has a solid career helping top GC guys and get his day here or there to stomp!

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS