• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Julian Alaphilippe

The Barb said:
He can definitely win (and perhaps in a year or two dominate) in the Ardennes, although with his descending skills I think ultimately Lombardia will be his best Classic.

I'm still smarting from 2015 Liege Bastogne Liege when I placed, about two weeks from the race, $40 on him at 125-1 (finished second to Valverde).

He's still only 25yo, which is the same age as Valverde when he won his first Ardennes race in 2005, and I think I'm right in saying only Andy Schleck has won Liege younger since. His time will come.

His winning in the Ardennes would require beating Valverde, which currently is highly unlikely unless Valverde makes a mistake. Actually Valverde was 26, because it was in 2006 NOT 2005 when he was his first Ardennes double (also first time he won either Fleche Wallone or LBL). However, yes he was 25 because his birthday is right after they race LBL.

Koronin said:
The Barb said:
He can definitely win (and perhaps in a year or two dominate) in the Ardennes, although with his descending skills I think ultimately Lombardia will be his best Classic.

I'm still smarting from 2015 Liege Bastogne Liege when I placed, about two weeks from the race, $40 on him at 125-1 (finished second to Valverde).

He's still only 25yo, which is the same age as Valverde when he won his first Ardennes race in 2005, and I think I'm right in saying only Andy Schleck has won Liege younger since. His time will come.

His winning in the Ardennes would require beating Valverde, which currently is highly unlikely unless Valverde makes a mistake. Actually Valverde was 26, because it was in 2006 NOT 2005 when he was his first Ardennes double (also first time he won either Fleche Wallone or LBL). However, yes he was 25 because his birthday is right after they race LBL.

You are quite right, thanks for the correction.

I don't agree that Alahilippe winning currently is "highly unlikely" because of Valverde. In Fleche, sure, because it so formulaic and Valverde has been so superior in recent years. In Liege, however, Valverde's only won two of the last five and it's such an open race that no one can ever really have better than a 50% chance of winning. And of course Amstel has never been a great race for Valverde.

So there are opportunities right now for Alaphilippe, and naturally even more so in a couple of years when he will be 27yo and should be peaking, while Valverde will be touching 40yo.

The Barb said:
Koronin said:
The Barb said:

I don't agree that Alahilippe winning currently is "highly unlikely" because of Valverde. In Fleche, sure, because it so formulaic and Valverde has been so superior in recent years. In Liege, however, Valverde's only won two of the last five and it's such an open race that no one can ever really have better than a 50% chance of winning. And of course Amstel has never been a great race for Valverde.

So there are opportunities right now for Alaphilippe, and naturally even more so in a couple of years when he will be 27yo and should be peaking, while Valverde will be touching 40yo.

You're welcome. Of the last 3 Liege's Valverde has won 2. Those two had more or less the same route as this year's. The year in between the put in an extra small cobbled climb which was removed. This year's is the same as the two that Valverde won. Now next year will be a different finish will may give him and others more hope to win. Amstel is a totally different race and one that currently with it's finish is for the faster sprinters like Kwaitkowski, Gilbert, Van Avermaet. Valverde has a couple of podiums at Amstel and I've not seen Alaphilippe that close at Amstel.

In say 3 years, Valverde may very well still be winning Fleche Wallone. Will see how Alaphilippe developes. He has a nice sprint, but he doesn't have the explosiveness that Valverde's got (and well still has at almost 38 and after a knee injury). On the other hand, Alaphilippe said during off season that he wanted Valverde to come back as good as he was before and to race for at least a few more years because he wants to beat Valverde in the Ardennes. He said something about winning without Valverde wouldn't mean that much compared to being able to finally beat him. I think with what he said that he's using Valverde to measure himself against, and that's not a bad idea at all for the type of rider he is.

Koronin said:
The Barb said:
Koronin said:
The Barb said:

You're welcome. Of the last 3 Liege's Valverde has won 2. Those two had more or less the same route as this year's. The year in between the put in an extra small cobbled climb which was removed. This year's is the same as the two that Valverde won. Now next year will be a different finish will may give him and others more hope to win. Amstel is a totally different race and one that currently with it's finish is for the faster sprinters like Kwaitkowski, Gilbert, Van Avermaet. Valverde has a couple of podiums at Amstel and I've not seen Alaphilippe that close at Amstel.

In say 3 years, Valverde may very well still be winning Fleche Wallone. Will see how Alaphilippe developes. He has a nice sprint, but he doesn't have the explosiveness that Valverde's got (and well still has at almost 38 and after a knee injury). On the other hand, Alaphilippe said during off season that he wanted Valverde to come back as good as he was before and to race for at least a few more years because he wants to beat Valverde in the Ardennes. He said something about winning without Valverde wouldn't mean that much compared to being able to finally beat him. I think with what he said that he's using Valverde to measure himself against, and that's not a bad idea at all for the type of rider he is.

Faster sprinters than who? They could both sprint with those guys, especially Valverde. Amstel may not suit them because constant battle for positioning, and it requires much more raw power, not because they can't sprint against those guys.

Blanco said:
Koronin said:
The Barb said:
Koronin said:
The Barb said:

Faster sprinters than who? They could both sprint with those guys, especially Valverde. Amstel may not suit them because constant battle for positioning, and it requires much more raw power, not because they can't sprint against those guys.

It's what Valverde said. He's said that Gilbert, GVA, Kwaitkowski and a couple others are faster sprinters. That for him to beat those guys it has to be a tough race/stage and he has to get his sprint time absolutely perfectly. I do think we can safely say Valverde is a faster sprinter than Alaphilippe.

It's what Valverde said. He's said that Gilbert, GVA, Kwaitkowski and a couple others are faster sprinters. That for him to beat those guys it has to be a tough race/stage and he has to get his sprint time absolutely perfectly. I do think we can safely say Valverde is a faster sprinter than Alaphilippe.

I think they are just "different" kinds of sprinter, Valverde has a stronger jump but if the sprint ends up as a drag race, those three have more peak power at their disposal and so have a slightly faster top speed.

ColonelKidneyBeans said:

I think they are just "different" kinds of sprinter, Valverde has a stronger jump but if the sprint ends up as a drag race, those three have more peak power at their disposal and so have a slightly faster top speed.

Very true, and this is probably what he was alluding to when he said that. They have a faster top end speed, thus his comment that they are faster would be accurate. The other difference is Valverde can hold his top end speed for longer even though it's not as fast. Sagan actually made a comment referencing that and why he enjoys sprinting against Valverde because the sprint for both of them has to be timed differently. I think this is also why Sagan said at one point he'd love to have Valverde as his leadout man in a sprint.

Koronin said:
ColonelKidneyBeans said:

Very true, and this is probably what he was alluding to when he said that. They have a faster top end speed, thus his comment that they are faster would be accurate. The other difference is Valverde can hold his top end speed for longer even though it's not as fast. Sagan actually made a comment referencing that and why he enjoys sprinting against Valverde because the sprint for both of them has to be timed differently. I think this is also why Sagan said at one point he'd love to have Valverde as his leadout man in a sprint.

When and where he said that? I'm following him for quite time but I didn't hear that from him... And it doesn't seem logical, cause he had beaten those guys numerous times (and was beaten, but it looks to me they're on a similar level).

Blanco said:
Koronin said:
ColonelKidneyBeans said:

When and where he said that? I'm following him for quite time but I didn't hear that from him... And it doesn't seem logical, cause he had beaten those guys numerous times (and was beaten, but it looks to me they're on a similar level).

Right after the Richmond World's. He was asked if he was disappointed with 5th and he said no. Then said I finished top 5th and was surrounded by guys who are all faster sprinters than I am. Maybe if I'd have timed my sprint better I could have gotten another podium, but I'm happy with this because everyone else in the top 10 has a faster sprint.
Part of why I remember that so well is (aside from being there) at the end we were standing on the sidewalk watching the TV behind the feeding area where most of the Spanish team was sitting on their bikes. When he finished 5th they look at each other and saw me (I was the only one there wearing a Movistar Spanish champion's jersey) and shrugged. They had no clue if they were supposed to be happy or disappointed with that result.

Re:

Red Rick said:
2 stages in Itzulia

2 victories

What a man. Probably the most explosive climber on all but the long climbs. Probably best off attacking the Mur at 500 to go.

Not that I disagree but he couldnt drop Roglic (a very, very good Roglic though) in these kind of climbs so I have a hard time imagining him dropping Valverde who has been climbing incredibly well this year.

Should be an interesting battle nonetheless.

Re: Re:

Bushman said:
Red Rick said:
2 stages in Itzulia

2 victories

What a man. Probably the most explosive climber on all but the long climbs. Probably best off attacking the Mur at 500 to go.

Not that I disagree but he couldnt drop Roglic (a very, very good Roglic though) in these kind of climbs so I have a hard time imagining him dropping Valverde who has been climbing incredibly well this year.

He could open a gap on Roglic that he couldn't sustain on a 3km climb. He's the most jumpy rider uphill by some margin. Waiting for the last 200m isn't gonna win him Fleche either.

And after Tirreno, yesterday and today I'm starting to consider Roglic one of the top riders for murito's. I think he's discovering his own classics potential here.

Re: Re:

Bushman said:
Red Rick said:
2 stages in Itzulia

2 victories

It will be interesting and should be another good battle. However, if he can't drop Roglic, he's not going to drop Valverde who not only has been climbing well this year, but is one of the most explosive climbers in the peloton and still has both a devastating change of pace attack and a devastating sprint to anyone who's still with him at the finish of a hard mountain stage.

Am I the only one thinking he resembles purito more than valverde? Yeah, he isn't exactly a purito clone either (worse climber but better TT'er) but alaphilippes main ability seems to be a superb uphill acceleration (like purito) while valverde's acceleration uphill isn't really as good as his flat sprint

Gigs_98 said:
Am I the only one thinking he resembles purito more than valverde? Yeah, he isn't exactly a purito clone either (worse climber but better TT'er) but alaphilippes main ability seems to be a superb uphill acceleration (like purito) while valverde's acceleration uphill isn't really as good as his flat sprint

You know you may be right that he is more of a Purito type.

Reminds me a lot of Bettini, he has similar devastating accelerations time and time again. But he needs to mature a lot, he needs to start winning big. He beat Roglic twice, but Rogla is not Valverde or Kwiatkowski. We'll see how he handles them.

Gigs_98 said:

I don't think that Valverde's acceleration is worse then Alaphilippe, on the contrary. The thing is he rarely uses it, at least rarely uses it all out, he always saves a little bit for the sprint. The fact is Valverde is a better climber, and I would say he's also a faster of the two, both uphill and on the flat. So I can't see how Alaphilippe's acceleration would be superior to Valverde's. We saw that he uses it quite often, and although he initially makes a gap, he quite often ends up not winning a race/stage (that's a difference to Valverde). He got it right these last two days, but the best competition is not here (Bala, Dan Martin, Yates twins), or isn't bothered/in shape (Kwiatkowski).
Purito is a different beast, he excels at insane gradients like no one else. He's the king of the double digit gradients, above 15%, even 20. Alaphilippe wouldn't stand a chance against him.