• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There were at least 2 stages in last year's Tour when this happened (1. stage when Alaph won and 3. stage when MvdP won and got yellow).

1. Yeah, those kind of stuff kind of happened in TdF last year, in 2021 Strade, in Tirreno 2021. But I'm thinking more of the cobbles stage this year that 20 k's from the front an elite group would form with just those 4-5 guys. Could potentially be the best cycling television ever made.
  2. it's not because it happened before, that I can't hope it happens again in the future. Mano a mano fights between those guys is what makes cycling absolutely thrilling. It's kind of unfair to the real sprinters en climbers in the peleton, but I find one day races or stages where sprinters, punchers, climbers and classic riders meet each other on a relative equal foot the most interesting races of all.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
IIRC this is the exact same set of injuries that JVDB had in the 2011 TDF crash. Broken ribs, collapsed lung, broken scapula... He had exactly 40 days between the crash and the start of the Vuelta. He clearly wasn't at his best at the Vuelta but still managed to finish 8th in GC.
If the scapula is not badly displaced he could race in a week. It takes a long time to heal and it generally doesn't hurt a great deal to ride with it. Ribs take 2 weeks and the collapsed lung is either working or it isn't he'd know that pretty quick, too. I think he could be in better shape after a week of racing as long as he can ride in a comfortably safe part of the field. Week 1 is always a crapshoot so that is an important level of strength to have. At this point he's still sidelined until another team casualty occurs?

Ala out of Wallonie with Covid. What a thoroughly *** season for him.
The positive spin to this is that he should avoid covid now at the vuelta. So his preparation for Wolrd championships and lombardia won't be affected by it, and still 3 weeks before vuelta so form shouldn't be affected too much

Unfortunately it puts San Sebastian in doubt, it would be his next race after wallonie and is 6 days away

The positive spin to this is that he should avoid covid now at the vuelta. So his preparation for Wolrd championships and lombardia won't be affected by it, and still 3 weeks before vuelta so form shouldn't be affected too much
Well, this will depend a lot on how heavy his symphtoms will be. There are still a lot of riders with much worse form weeks after a COVID infection..

Last edited:
Honestly, it seems like he's lost focus a bit. He's never had so many bad crashes.

I have no idea about what happened today. Maybe there was a slippery part on the road, maybe it could have been avoided, maybe it couldn't. But at least two of his accidents this year, Strade and the one, that was ultimately caused by his own team car, I'd count under freak accidents where he probably couldn't have done anything to avoid the crash.

Reactions: Tonton
Dislocated shoulder, no fracture.

I know in rugby a dislocated should can mean 6-12 months out and extensive recovery from surgery, but obviously you need your shoulder for different things in that. You have to reckon Worlds is unlikely, and maybe just start looking towards MSR.

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt and Skalman
Dislocated shoulder, no fracture.

I know in rugby a dislocated should can mean 6-12 months out and extensive recovery from surgery, but obviously you need your shoulder for different things in that. You have to reckon Worlds is unlikely, and maybe just start looking towards MSR.

If you're Roglic you just put your shoulder back in on the road.

Get well soon Alaphilippe. Hopefully the shoulder was relocated ASAP and that should speed up the recovery a bit. As nothing was broken he might still do world championship. But under normal circumstance such injury takes longer to heal properly then the time frame available. Hence he will still be affected by it. On top of that i feel that a talk with Lefevere is needed. On GT races we need Alaphilippe animating the race or more. Not to be used as he was on this GT. Like all the time. I mean OK on a stage or two he can be there to help. But for sure not to do that all the time.

Reactions: jmdirt
What people tend to forget is after Primož felt and dislocated and relocated his shoulder. First he went and fed the hay to the goat.

best-hay-for-goats-1.jpg

Only after he saddled his bike again. And pulled back the help that was send back in the peloton.

• Love
Reactions: Gregor_Slovenia

TRENDING THREADS