• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting and encouraging piece here on CN about his winter training, his form and reflections upon the TDU. If he really did arrive at Wallunga with just a winter of base training under his belt, it bodes well for a much better year than last, if he can stay on his bike. We're obviously not going to see him at his peak again, but if he is back to his swashbuckling self, I will be very happy indeed.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Its not a certainty that Alaphilippe would have beaten Hirschi and Pogačar in a fair sprint especially given that the latter beat him in the following year.
It's never a certainty, but you think Alaphilippe 2021 was as good as Alaphilippe 2020? The guy beat Viviani and Sagan in a sprint in 2019 when those two were still relevant. In 2021, he was already way below his usual self, to the extent nobody was even talking about him for the WCC anymore.

But he did it to himself. He has a nice palmares, with MSR and 2 times WCC, but he sold himself short. Should definitely have a Liège and Amstel on there, and who knows what could have happened in Flanders had he not crashed into that motorbike.

Possible retirement. Depends on the season I guess.

I rather fear he goes Froomey’s way:

This will be my big year. I‘ll show everyone what I’m still capable of. -> Ah, the year wasn’t good at all, but next year will be the year. -> Gets new contract from Lefevere, who behaves as if he (Lefevere) was Alaphilippe‘s dog. -> Ah, this year will be my big year. -> I don’t know what was going on this year, but better wait to see me next year. And so on.

I saw Julian in some of the races last year. As soon as the road goes uphill, he gets dropped from a 100-man or so peloton. He blows up after 150, 160 kilometers. Sometimes neo pros drop him, on his favorite terrain.

His legs, arms, face indicate that he’s in shape. Nevertheless he suffers these setbacks. Most of all, his decline came impressively fast. Hard to explain, this.

I would love to see him on a mountain bike. He looks like the born MTB marathon rider.

I hope he switches to MTB Marathon. Then I would watch this. I hope Peter Sagan switches to MTB Downhill, from Cross Country, and I hope Alaphilippe switches to MTB Marathon, from road cycling.

Reactions: sevenall

This will be my big year. I‘ll show everyone what I’m still capable of. -> Ah, the year wasn’t good at all, but next year will be the year. -> Gets new contract from Lefevere, who behaves as if he (Lefevere) was Alaphilippe‘s dog. -> Ah, this year will be my big year. -> I don’t know what was going on this year, but better wait to see me next year. And so on.

I saw Julian in some of the races last year. As soon as the road goes uphill, he gets dropped from a 100-man or so peloton. He blows up after 150, 160 kilometers. Sometimes neo pros drop him, on his favorite terrain.

His legs, arms, face indicate that he’s in shape. Nevertheless he suffers these setbacks. Most of all, his decline came impressively fast. Hard to explain, this.

I would love to see him on a mountain bike. He looks like the born MTB marathon rider.

I hope he switches to MTB Marathon. Then I would watch this. I hope Peter Sagan switches to MTB Downhill, from Cross Country, and I hope Alaphilippe switches to MTB Marathon, from road cycling.

This post gives me hope :)

It's never a certainty, but you think Alaphilippe 2021 was as good as Alaphilippe 2020? The guy beat Viviani and Sagan in a sprint in 2019 when those two were still relevant. In 2021, he was already way below his usual self, to the extent nobody was even talking about him for the WCC anymore.

But he did it to himself. He has a nice palmares, with MSR and 2 times WCC, but he sold himself short. Should definitely have a Liège and Amstel on there, and who knows what could have happened in Flanders had he not crashed into that motorbike.

Alaphilippe in 2021 did two of most impressive performances of his career, dominated the Flemish Worlds and did a record Mur d'Huy climbing time in Flèche against Roglič. His real decline only started in 2022.

Plus, if Alaphilippe 2020 was such a better sprinter than 6 months later, then why did he cut Hirschi off in the LBL finish?

Even after his crash comeback, Alaphillpe shows he knows how to race a bicycle in multiple roles can work chasing and has days of delivery at the highest level. I don't know what his form at TDU means to him or to the team.. You see riders like Gesink and Rui Costa that have utility as part of a team and need to separate their ego from a memory. this guy is quality and he can do many jobs, serve many purposes on a professional cycling team, being the leader might not be one of them. Costa wore rainbow stripes and is was still cranking along, and all because he didn't need to carry a heavy ego.. Alaphillpe is not a pitbull, but good style.. He doesn't need to stop racing but might need to switch jobs.

Wasn't it with Kwaremont+Paterberg (maybe Kruisberg?) still to go?

Sure, it was a winning break and he was flying that year, but for me it was far from certain that he would have made it over Kwaremont in the lead group.
We will never know, but have to remember he was in great form here and at his peak. He was looking very strong in the race, if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Andy262
Alaphilippe obviously has not done a lot of cobbled classics, but could it perhaps be that he is just not very good at them?

I think he has never finished top-20 in a Flanders race (could be wrong about that).
He gave the impression of being the strongest in the 2020 RVV until he crashed into a motorcycle when he, Van Aert and Van der Poel had formed the decisive break. He became WCC in 2021 on a route with plenty of cobbles.

What's really concerning, is that Evenepoel was saying how well Alaphilippe was on training in the pre-season, that he was gonna surprise a lot of people. Makes you wonder how well that team is training,

He gave the impression of being the strongest in the 2020 RVV until he crashed into a motorcycle when he, Van Aert and Van der Poel had formed the decisive break. He became WCC in 2021 on a route with plenty of cobbles.

What's really concerning, is that Evenepoel was saying how well Alaphilippe was on training in the pre-season, that he was gonna surprise a lot of people. Makes you wonder how well that team is training,
Agree, something strange is going on at that team. Would be interesting if Ala and Asgreen would go to other teams.

Reactions: MADRAZO