• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Vroome.exe said:
It's ridiculous people even talk about that push. If they were to give time penalties for that, I'd fly to France right now and give other riders a push so they would be disqualified. It was one touch, a rider can do nothing about that and should not be punished.

Maybe folk are questioning that it was his own team member who gave him the push and not a fan. Didn't someone get punished for it in a TTT not long since, even though that was just a slight hand on the back?

Re: Re:

wheresmybrakes said:
Vroome.exe said:
It's ridiculous people even talk about that push. If they were to give time penalties for that, I'd fly to France right now and give other riders a push so they would be disqualified. It was one touch, a rider can do nothing about that and should not be punished.

Maybe folk are questioning that it was his own team member who gave him the push and not a fan. Didn't someone get punished for it in a TTT not long since, even though that was just a slight hand on the back?

Yeah, Movistar in Catalunya two years ago. But that was between riders (ridiculous punishment as it were touches, not pushes - luckily Valerde schooled them all later in the race and won inspite of a minute's penalty".

The rule reads "repeated or extended push(es) from spectator(s)" - so actually there is nothing in the rulebook that suggests the push yesterday would merit a punishment.

Lol Alaphillipe was pushed at least 5 times yesterday (just rewatch the last km of the final climb yesterday), 1 time even by his own soigneur. I have no problem with not giving him a time penalty, but its just so sillly that roglic gets a 10 sec penalty for a spectator pushing him and Martin and Rowe get kicked out of the tour and here nothing happens!!!! There is obviously bias in the way french riders get treated

Re:

broppo said:
Lol Alaphillipe was pushed at least 5 times yesterday (just rewatch the last km of the final climb yesterday), 1 time even by his own soigneur. I have no problem with not giving him a time penalty, but its just so sillly that roglic gets a 10 sec penalty for a spectator pushing him and Martin and Rowe get kicked out of the tour and here nothing happens!!!! There is obviously bias in the way french riders get treated
Roglic was pushed for like 20 seconds. The thing is, everyone knows that those pushes didn't influence the result one bit. If he doesn't get those maybe he catches the other contenders 5 seconds later but that's it. It would simply be annoying to see the race getting influenced by something that stupid.

Red Rick said:
Bardamu said:
Lefevere and Bruyneel having a feud with Dutch journalist Thijs Zonneveld: https://twitter.com/PatLefevere/status/1154467312163889153
Bruyneel and and Lefevre are such massive ****

But so is Zonneveld :lol:

Very childish of all of them.

However, if Thijs doesn't see the difference between
giphy.gif

And
source.gif

Then he does indeed need glasses ;-)

Gigs_98 said:
broppo said:
Roglic was pushed for like 20 seconds. The thing is, everyone knows that those pushes didn't influence the result one bit. If he doesn't get those maybe he catches the other contenders 5 seconds later but that's it. It would simply be annoying to see the race getting influenced by something that stupid.

I agree, but i have to say WTF did the DQS guy think he was doing?....he knows the rules so why take such a stupid risk for exactly zero benefit?

I don't think either example deserves a punishment....but surely getting a deliberate push from a member of your own team should be viewed more harshly than getting a push off a random fan who's actions you have no control over whatsoever...

brownbobby said:
Gigs_98 said:
broppo said:

I agree, but i have to say WTF did the DQS guy think he was doing?....he knows the rules so why take such a stupid risk for exactly zero benefit?

I don't think either example deserves a punishment....but surely getting a deliberate push from a member of your own team should be viewed more harshly than getting a push off a random fan who's actions you have no control over whatsoever...

I agree with the "WTF did the DQS guy think he was doing?", but for all we know it was Roglic best friend ;-)
Also the rules do not make a difference between team member and random spectator.

Screenshot-from-2019-07-26-12-22-53.png

Roglic push was more similar to Nibali getting towed up the mountain by his team car than to this slight touch JA was given. And then DQS was still given a fine, so no special treatment. He was also given a big fine for skipping press conference several days ago, no special treatment as well. But others only see what they want to see.

tobydawq said:
glassmoon said:
pushes, motos, laughably short TTs... what else to get the French finally a TdF winner? all mountain stages to have downhill finish?

More TT kilometres and a less hard course (this year's route is exceptionally brutal), and Alaphilippe should be golden.
nah, imho he'd lost time in 50k TT and 10+km climbs that are steeper than 8-9%. If they'd finish at Alpe d'Huez yesterday he'd not be in yellow today... or he'd have like seconds left in buffer.

glassmoon said:
tobydawq said:
glassmoon said:
pushes, motos, laughably short TTs... what else to get the French finally a TdF winner? all mountain stages to have downhill finish?

More TT kilometres and a less hard course (this year's route is exceptionally brutal), and Alaphilippe should be golden.
nah, imho he'd lost time in 50k TT and 10+km climbs that are steeper than 8-9%. If they'd finish at Alpe d'Huez yesterday he'd not be in yellow today... or he'd have like seconds left in buffer.

Alpe d'Huez is less steep than 8 %.

tobydawq said:
glassmoon said:
tobydawq said:
glassmoon said:

It’s 8,1%

https://www.climbbybike.com/climbmobile.asp?Col=Alpe-dHuez&qryMountainID=5

Bushman said:
tobydawq said:
glassmoon said:
tobydawq said:
glassmoon said:

It’s 8,1%

https://www.climbbybike.com/climbmobile.asp?Col=Alpe-dHuez&qryMountainID=5

Damn, I was sure it was 7.9. But it's still not steeper than 8-9%, which not many Tour climbs are at all.

tobydawq said:
glassmoon said:
tobydawq said:
glassmoon said:

just above. point is, it isn't 5.5 like yesterday... but it's not all about that though, they just need to break him at least 3-4 kms before the summit to gain minutes...

It's possibly more important where the climb is steepest, rather than the average gradient. Many of the Tour climbs have had the steepest part right at the end, which is Alaphilippe's wheelhouse. Prat d'Albis was different, and it was Alaphilippe's worst day.

From twitter
EAfXtPtXoAAZ77n.jpg

@TheGaryFairley posted “Come ride with us, son, and we’ll let you keep the Maillot Jaune..”

There was a rumor that Ineos had a very attractive proposal for Alaphilippe but he said no, thank you.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS