• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Now onto the Tour & let's see where this goes, i.e. the route itself seems to have been (no surprise here) designed with Alaphilippe's puncheur qualities in mind.

Just look at stage 1 & 2, i.e. both have an uphill sprint finish:

1cf18

635fd

So I wouldn't be surprised to see Alaphilippe in yellow on day 1 or 2, followed by a time trial (stage 5) in which he could also surprise (like in 2019).

IMO he's the potential third man in the battle for yellow behind Pogacar & Roglic.
I would love it but I think the level uphill will be much higher than in 2019.

Nice to see Alaphilippe returning to great shape just in time for FW and LBL, although the latter one is starting to look like a cursed race for him.

Why? can someone translate?

Hello everyone, I inform you after having thought long and hard, in agreement with the coach of the French team and my team Deceuninck Quick step, not to be a candidate for selection for the next Olympics in Tokyo.

It is a personal and well-considered decision. The objectives for the end of the season have been defined and choices must be made in this sense.

I would be very proud to wear the jersey of the French team for the next world championships.

I wish the best for the team that will be lined up for this occasion.

See you soon!

Reactions: Koronin and Skalman
He doesn't give an explanation only that it he really thought about it and that it is for personal reasons. He alsof suggests that he may have other goals in that part of the season.

He does make it very clear that it is not a problem with the national team as he expresses that he wants to ride the WC.

Edit: Hugo Koblet has the insider info.

Reactions: Koronin and Ktarie
I don't think genetics are that easy, anyway... there was a cyclingweekly article, I think, recently, which talked about making the perfect cyclist like that... but from what I know that's nonsense.
However, a child with two ex-pros as parents should get the best support if wanted and often also some motivation when cycling is so important and present in the family...

Anyway, I always like to see riders putting family first, although this must have been a hard decision, probably made easier by Tokyo at best happening under cooled down conditions and so close to the Tour. Hope he's really okay with doing the Tour now, and not torn, like I would be for sure.

TRENDING THREADS