• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Lefevere doesn't feel Alaphilippe should participate in worlds. Alaphilippe you now know what you have to do.
If he feel he has any chance of doing himself justice then he should go, cant let himself pass it by if he can compete. Then he would just left wondering what could have been.
I also think France could use him even if he isn't 100 percent, could use him as bait + the extra man

Of the top-11 yesterday, he was the one farthest back in the peloton on Poggio (Turgis was second farthest back, near Ewan and Girmay). By a lot.

FbtZKsm.png

Asgreen is the QS rider you almost can't see right to an Ineos rider and he moves up ahead of Stuyven when Wellens accelerates. Alaphilippe is the one with the missing number.

So I think he would have crested the top together with Pedersen and Mohorič, if he was positioned better.

Reactions: Sandisfan
At exactly 12km to go, as they come out of a bend, Ala is in about 15th position. He has a small issue, which causes him to slow down and lose quite a few places. At that point it's basically over unless he had super legs. Not sure exactly what happened, but maybe he dropped his chain or had to unclip.

Reactions: Sandisfan
There's always a valid reason to explain why a good cyclist wasn't able to perform his very best in a certain race. Tactics. Mechanical issues. Race dynamics. Bad luck. Illness. Crashes. Unsuited body composition.

But the thing is: the very best cyclists are able to shine in spite of unfavourable conditions.

Alaphillipe himself proved so on many occasions (Leuven 2021, or the entire 2019 Tour. ) Hope he can regain this aura and we don't regress to endless post-race repetitions of 'if not for X or Y, then maybe...'

Am I the only one thinking, that there is no chance Alaphillipe will win a World Tour race this year? He had a shocker last year, with lots of crashes (which can't all be down to purely bad luck), and thusfar he hasn't impressed me at all. I fear he might be on the same trajectory as Sagan. Or am I just too pessimistic, and does his 11th place in Milan-Sanremo offer a glimmer of hope?

Reactions: ij74 and Koronin
Am I the only one thinking, that there is no chance Alaphillipe will win a World Tour race this year? He had a shocker last year, with lots of crashes (which can't all be down to purely bad luck), and thusfar he hasn't impressed me at all. I fear he might be on the same trajectory as Sagan. Or am I just too pessimistic, and does his 11th place in Milan-Sanremo offer a glimmer of hope?
I would never write him off from winning Flèche.

The way he won Ardèche was awesome and against Gaudu who proved to be seriously good in Paris-Nice.

His level after that seems very weird when you consider that race.

Why couldn't the crashes last year be bad luck? the one at Liege was hardly his fault, likewise the one at the Vuelta, that could and do happen to anybody. the one he could maybe be faulted for was the one at where the team car drove to close and he didn't pay attention. I do believe however that he would be on a higher level without those crashes (Duh ..). I still think he has more to give (i hope..). He also had a stomach bug 2 weeks ago which could explain part of lackluster performance recently. Hopefully he is at his peak on this years Liege. Oh and i don't think he will race Flech this year.