Jumbo - QuickStep merger

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Only Jumbo. QS has no money issues, but Lefevere wants out, and this is a good time to exit.
The way it looks now is more like a hostile takeover. If (big if) Amazon and Visma are indeed involved with the amounts mentioned, Soudal wouldn't even be a name sponsor so they'd basically be screwed. And then the merger suddenly becomes more about Specialized than about Soudal.

That's also why I find these amounts hard to believe. Why on earth would Soudal be interested in this setup? Or will they suddenly also double or triple their sponsorship budget?

The way it looks now is more like a hostile takeover. If (big if) Amazon and Visma are indeed involved with the amounts mentioned, Soudal wouldn't even be a name sponsor so they'd basically be screwed. And then the merger suddenly becomes more about Specialized than about Soudal.

That's also why I find these amounts hard to believe. Why on earth would Soudal be interested in this setup? Or will they suddenly also double or triple their sponsorship budget?
SQS and JV have been in talks since the TDF, only since yesterday Amazon has been mentioned. So I don't assume this is a hostile takeover. We'll just have to wait to see what the actual, final result will be, and what the team will look like.

SQS and JV have been in talks since the TDF, only since yesterday Amazon has been mentioned. So I don't assume this is a hostile takeover. We'll just have to wait to see what the actual, final result will be, and what the team will look like.
Of course it's not just yesterday that suddenly Amazon got involved, these talks have probably been going on just as long. But they hadn't leaked yet.

Amazon decided the only way to get remco after seeing how many youtube subscribers and views he had was a hostile take. Remco coming soon to twitch 😂
Or Amazon bought the rights of his channel and produces the next videos together with a series about the team? ;) Remco's 3rd video about his Vuelta takes a lot of time. It's a bit strange because he made sure it has a lot of drama. It would be his best!

Or Amazon bought the rights of his channel and produces the next videos together with a series about the team? ;) Remco's 3rd video about his Vuelta takes a lot of time. It's a bit strange because he made sure it has a lot of drama. It would be his best!
Or Amazon saw him delivering pizzas and thought we could accelerate our transition to being carbon neutral and have him do prime deliveries.

You make it sound like this is a positive.
Patrick is awesome and has done incredible things with his teams.

But he doesn't fit into 'modern cycling' especially at age 67 when he wants to slow down anyways

No i meant they are literary bringing Patrick on board and to the board (of directors). One could say table. If it will be a positive thing or not. Beats me. Clashes are bound to happen. Bringing together two different cultures and so many additional interests. Patrick doesn't strike me as somebody that will sit there silently, Remco either. So likely Jonas and Plugge to take the back seat? We'll see.

So likely Jonas and Plugge to take the back seat? We'll see.
I don't see it. Plugge is in charge of the most successful team in cycling. The team people are saying has taken over the mantle from Sky in terms of performance and execution.

Only the Roglic situation is becoming a mess but it looks like a straightforward way out of that. I think this new team will be run by Plugge

Remco is like the Golden Parachute for Lefereve - also the merger idea is an opportunity to solve the problem of getting support for Remco.
The irony is of course in finding the Golden Goose, Remco, he's managed to blow up the team.

I read somewhere that Ineos has been told by Roglic's agent, that he has already signed elsewhere.

It begs the question where?

UAE is out of the question IMO, and there aren't that many other team that can put together a Tour winning squad for 2024.

Bahrain, Bora, Lidl and to a lesser degree FDJ and Movistar, are the only ones I see.

• Wow
Reactions: noob and SHAD0W93
Jayco-AlUla is another option.
Movistar is reportedly among the favorites.

I don't think Jayco has a good enough team for a Tour winning challenge.

Yates, Matthews, Harper and Hamilton that's pretty much it, the rest are rouleurs.

Personally I'd love to see him on Lidl - we'd get to see Pedersen keep him safe like he did for Porte, so Roglic doesn't ruin his Tour with the usual crashes, and with Skjelmose, Hart, Ciccone and Lopez (+ 2 out of Konrad, Mollema, Bagioli, Oomen, Verona, Nys, Cataldo and Mosca) for the mountains, it would be a team JV had to take seriously.

Last edited:
I don't think Jayco has a good enough team for a Tour winning challenge.

Yates, Matthews, Harper and Hamilton that's pretty much it, the rest are rouleurs.
They could do a combination of those 4/Dunbar/ Zana/Scmid and someone like Walscheid,Scotson or Durbridge as the flat water carrier.

They pretty much have to load the team for the Tour but it would be strong enough if Roglic can compete with Pog and Vingegaard.