Junior racing - The stars of the future

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Italy dominates the day with a 1-2 in the mass sprint. Tomas Trainini wins the stage by beating his compatriot Francesco Della Lunga and Frenchman Paul Penhoet.
No official result yet but there shouldn't be any major changes in the GC.

Tomorrow will probably decide the race and the climbers will get their chance to attack.

Stage 3:
 
Today Stage 3 likely decided the race with Frenchman Hugo Toumire holding onto the yellow Jersey. Italys Antonio Tiberi wins the Stage by 20 Seconds solo after getting 3rd on this same stage last year, only beaten by Vacek and Evenepoel in the same time.

Stage 3:

01 Antonio Tiberi 2001 Italy 02:35:35
02 Jago Willems 2001 Belgium + 20
03 Michel Hessmann 2001 Germany + 20
04 Andrea Piccolo 2001 Italy + 20
05 Maurice Ballerstedt 2001 Germany + 20
06 Robin Juel Skivild 2001 Denmark + 20
07 Alex Baudin 2001 France + 20
08 Hugo Toumire 2001 France + 20
09 Dennis Gråsvold 2001 Norway + 20
10 Marco Brenner 2002 Germany + 20
11 Andrew Ponomar 2002 Ukraine + 20
12 Lennert Van Eetvelt 2001 Belgium + 20
13 Maksim Kulakov 2001 Russia + 20
14 Tom Linder 2001 Euroregion + 20
15 Antoni Olszar 2001 Poland + 20
16 Fredrik Gjesteland Finnesand 2001 Norway + 20
17 Ramses Debruyne 2002 Belgium + 20

Most of the favourites in that first group and holding onto their positions. Normally tomorrows stage should go to the sprinters but maybe the German team could try something. They have the numbers.
 
Re:

RedheadDane said:
14 Tom Linder 2001 Euroregion + 20
What does that mean? Where's he from?
He is a german but participates in this race as part of a team from the region Elbe-Labe where the race is held. That team consists of both Czech and German riders coming from that region near the border.

To quote: "For a fourth consecutive year, the line-up will also feature the Czech-German Euroregion Elbe-Labe team formed by three Czech and three German riders. The Euroregion Elbe-Labe team represents long-lasting outstanding cooperation between the two countries, which will hopefully continue in future years."
 
Brenner, Ponomar and Debruyne, all first year juniors (2002) in the top 10 and within 50 seconds of the leader.
Last year only had one first year junior (Tiberi, 2001) in the top 10, and that was at nearly 6 minutes.

Also 3 Germans in the top 5. No Dutchman inside the top 20.
 
Re: Re:

WKA311 said:
RedheadDane said:
14 Tom Linder 2001 Euroregion + 20
What does that mean? Where's he from?
He is a german but participates in this race as part of a team from the region Elbe-Labe where the race is held. That team consists of both Czech and German riders coming from that region near the border.

To quote: "For a fourth consecutive year, the line-up will also feature the Czech-German Euroregion Elbe-Labe team formed by three Czech and three German riders. The Euroregion Elbe-Labe team represents long-lasting outstanding cooperation between the two countries, which will hopefully continue in future years."
I would have waged my firstborn that Germany would have a full team.


(I'm never gonna have firstborn.)
 
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
WKA311 said:
RedheadDane said:
14 Tom Linder 2001 Euroregion + 20
What does that mean? Where's he from?
He is a german but participates in this race as part of a team from the region Elbe-Labe where the race is held. That team consists of both Czech and German riders coming from that region near the border.

To quote: "For a fourth consecutive year, the line-up will also feature the Czech-German Euroregion Elbe-Labe team formed by three Czech and three German riders. The Euroregion Elbe-Labe team represents long-lasting outstanding cooperation between the two countries, which will hopefully continue in future years."
I would have waged my firstborn that Germany would have a full team.


(I'm never gonna have firstborn.)
There are full german and czech teams. There are 9 german and czech participants in this race (6 from the national teams plus 3 on the Euroregion team).
 
Some important Junior races were held this weekend.

First off, the Driedaagse van Axel. A Dutch race covering 4 stages, three road plus one ITT. The race is mostly flat, as the main obstacles are the wind and some cobbles. For this race the strong US Juniores came back to Europe. They were up against P-R winner Hidde van Veenendaal, French peace race winner Hugo Toumire (not suited to this race though) and German Hannes Wilksch. Top favourite was American Quinn Simmons. And over the course of this race he showed why he probably is the strongest rouleur among juniors this year and red hot favourite for Yorkshire.
On stage one he broke free of a scattered Peloton with teammate Magnus Sheffield and won the stage with 22 seconds on the second group. The other favourites were distanced even further, coming in at 37 seconds. Stage 2 saw the time trial, and once again Simmons convincingly won the stage and even even having time to crash while doing so. Hidde van Veenendaal was second at 12 seconds, Michael Garrison (Probably 2nd strongest among the US juniors overall) 3rd at 14 seconds and in the same time as Toumire. Stage 3 was quite straightforward and ended in a bunch kick with Dutch Olav Kooij ending up victorious. Todays 4th and last stage featured some hills (Leberg being one) and the Paddestraat as obstacles and on this classics profile stage Simmons once again tore the race apart and won solo with 46 seconds on Hidde van Veenendaal. The next group, containing 3rd and 4th place finishers in GC, Hannes Wilksch and Michael Garrison, trailed by 59 seconds.
Simmons won the GC by almost 2 minutes. As of now he probably is the favourite for Yorkshire, as the route should really suite him and his characteristics.

GC:
1 SIMMONS Quinn 7:21:59
2 VAN VEENENDAAL Hidde 1:58
3 WILKSCH Hannes 2:24
4 GARRISON Michael 2:37
5 HOHMANN Lars 2:48



The second stage race that was held this weekend was the French Trophée Centre Morbihan. The Trophée consists of three stages, two (moderately) hilly road stages and a flat ITT.
The startlist was pretty good, standing out were the British team (probably the strongest in the Junior category), the German team also pretty strong and the French with a lot of depth. The also strong team from Norway, Italy and Spain and interesting rider like impressive Ukrainian Ponomar.

The first stage saw the strongest riders breaking away at the front of the race. In the end it was Italian Gregorio Butteroni winning out of a small group in front of Brit Sam Watson (winner of Guido Reybrouck) and Norwegian Johannsson (a surprise of this race definitely). Michel Hessmann and Spains Juan Ayuso Pesquera also made the group. The next group came in at 20 seconds with the peloton losing more than a minute and thus already the race overall.
The ITT saw no real surprises as strong German time trialist and 4th at last years worlds Michel Hessmann took the win and thus the overall, having finished in the front group yesterday. Second place for Brit Leo Hayter (little brother of Ethan, numerous top results in the classics and a pretty handy sprinter) and third for German classics rider Maurice Ballerstedt confirming his strong showing at the peace race. An interesting name is 5th place finisher Carlos Rodriguez, he has some very good results so far and could definitely feature at the worlds.
Todays final stage saw strong Ukrainian Ponomar solo away from a peloton that was held together by the Germans for Hessmann, who went on to win the race. Definitely a favourite for the ITT at the worlds.

GC:
1 HESSMANN Michel 5:27:45
2 WATSON Samuel 0:17
3 JOHANSSON Oskar Myrestøl 0:23
4 BUTTERONI Gregorio 0:30
5 AYUSO PESQUERA Juan 0:42
 
Dec 23, 2015
140
0
2,830
Re:

WKA311 said:
Some important Junior races were held this weekend.

First off, the Driedaagse van Axel.

The second stage race that was held this weekend was the French Trophée Centre Morbihan.
As always we have full details of results plus stage profiles over at First Cycling:
Axel
Morbihan
 
Today the next round of the Nations Cup starts with the traditional Saarland Trofeo. 4 stages, of which three are rolling to hilly road stages and one is a 31km TTT. The GC will probably decided by the TTT, of the road stages the second one is probably gonna be the hardest. Couldn't find a startlist yet, but the favourites should be the British team (Askey, Hayter, Watson), the German team (Brenner, Ballerstedt), the Danish, the Dutch or the Norwegians if they are starting.
Sadly the US team is not starting this year, so no Quinn Simmons.

Stage 1:


Stage 2:


Stage 3a:


Stage 3b:


Stage 4:
 
There is one Belgian 1st year junior that caught my eye in Course de la Paix, and that's Ramses Debruyne. It seems he also wants to go for climbing and timetrialing. He finished 9th in Course de la Paix, and was the third from 2002 behind Brenner & Ponomar, ahead of Vacek jr.

But last year Belgium sent some alternative (weaker) team to Saarland so maybe guys like him won't ride this year either.

They appear to have a live ticker. https://www.trofeo.online/
 
Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
There is one Belgian 1st year junior that caught my eye in Course de la Paix, and that's Ramses Debruyne. It seems he also wants to go for climbing and timetrialing. He finished 9th in Course de la Paix, and was the third from 2002 behind Brenner & Polomar, ahead of Vacek jr.

But last year Belgium send some alternative (weaker) team to Saarland so maybe guys like him won't ride this year either.

They appear to have a live ticker. https://www.trofeo.online/
Yes, thats also the reason I didn't include them. Same with the Dutch though. They held their ITT champs just yesterday and the RR will be on the weekend so they will probably not gonna send their A-Team, if any. But without startlist we don't know.

Debruyne is an interesting name to watch.

Edit: Twitter that will be updated: https://twitter.com/trofeoonline
 
With this race situation I expect the Brits to attack today big time, while Germany and Norways will try to hold everything together. Both of them are now in ideal situations. The harder the race today is, the better for Brenner. He is flying.
 
Ponomar wins solo and is also the new overall leader. Really strong year for him so far, also only a first year. Should be interesting how his team will fare in the TTT.
 
Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Clean sweep at the podium for Germany at the Trofeo.
Very strong performance in the TTT given they started the race without Hessmann, 4th at last years ITT worlds, due to an injury suffered on the eve of the race.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS