• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 289 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
JV1973 said:
because I don't like Digger. Pretty simple. I think he is the very embodiment of the hypocrisy he runs around complaining about.

Actually, I should correct myself: I don't like Digger's words. I don't know him, so i don't actually know if I like him or not.

Sorry JV, I'm going to repost my question as it's now several posts back and got kinda broadsided by another discussion.

JV1973 said:
I don't know. I really don't. Dave and I don't speak much anymore.

He is the only cyclist to ever have served on the WADA athlete's commission. His work there, by all accounts, has been very good.

I am not going to call into question David's work on the WADA athlete's commission, because I do not know of what his work while there has entailed. And your reasoning behind hiring him is logical and is a foundation upon which Garmin's reputation has built itself and I understand that - the outward face of it being the acceptance that the sport has a dirty past but the commitment to a clean future. That's all fine.

But personally, I find it concerning that Millar gets roles like that ahead of clean riders. Why don't we see the likes of Christophe Bassons, Marco Pinotti or Jimmy Engoulvent getting to represent the sport or the riders like that? It seems that even after stopping doping Millar is continually profiteering from his cheating.

There is an argument to be made that a repentant cheat or reformed doper is of more value to an anti-doping commission because he knows the system from the inside. Even putting aside Millar's public persona, which has always rubbed me up the wrong way as I've always got the air of Bono from him, that even when he is doing the right thing, he does it in a way that's designed to make sure you know he is doing the right thing, his history and complicity with anti-doping authorities makes his knowledge useful. I get that.

But he is still profiting from his doping while clean cyclists who've never been swayed lose out. First they get beaten by the dopers in the races, then the dopers get the anti-doping jobs ahead of them because of their insider information.

In your honest opinion, as I assume you have experience of dealing with both, do you think anti-doping commissions, working groups and panels are better served with clean riders who speak up against their cheating colleagues, or by reformed ex-dopers who have committed to fighting the fight for clean cycling?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
JV1973 said:
because I don't like Digger. Pretty simple. I think he is the very embodiment of the hypocrisy he runs around complaining about.
you don't address the points he makes because you don't like him?
got it.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
JV1973 said:
I don't like Digger's words. I don't know him, so i don't actually know if I like him or not.

So what are the chances of a real life sit-down between you two?

Diggs? You up for it?

It could very well end up saving the Internet. :)

Is the Unipublic way/YouTube cycling the future of this sport, or will it be replaced by Vine cycling?

-OR-

Do you think the current trend towards concentrating all the action in the last 20-30 minutes of a stage, with everything before it being absolutely dreadful more often than not, is commercially viable in the long run?

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
JV,

Prentice Steffen did an interview earlier this year with Daniel Benson where he said he heard a team were experimenting with carbon monoxide.

Have you heard similar or has Prentice said anything to you about what he's heard?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Granville57 said:
So what are the chances of a real life sit-down between you two?

Diggs? You up for it?

It could very well end up saving the Internet. :)

digger and hog inside team garmin.. Sounds like it could make an entertaining book.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Vaughters any chance you have VO2 numbers for the team? The 620 does it for free so all you need to do is hook you're team up with the HRM strap and let the 620 do the rest!

Maybe y'all don't keep the numbers for the team?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
JV1973 said:
Actually, Christian asked me and tried to convince me we should hire Floyd post suspension. CVV was one of the few that spoke up to me about it not being fair. I was the one who ultimately decided we weren't going to hire Floyd. The funny thing is, we were the only team in cycling that even considered this. That actually even thought about it. The rest never even gave it a first thought, much less second.

Yet.... We are to blame. Funny.

JV1973 said:
BTW - AGAIN - NO OTHER TEAM EVEN ASKED UCI/ASO, BECAUSE THEY WOULDN'T TOUCH FLOYD.... While I don't need a pat on the back, I'd ask folks here to consider that I was THE ONLY guy even asking the question.

Yet Floyd did race in 2009?

Sounds like all the teams testing high blood values at the Giro - you make stuff er say stuff to support your narrative that is completely unverifiable.

Beyond that - the story you are asking us to believe, as to how you know what you are claiming, involves:

1. the UCI/ASO telling you, "no other team has asked us if it's ok to hire Floyd" OR
2. all the other teams in the peloton - all of them, every single one, telling you, either unasked or after you asked them, "nope, we didn't ask the ASO/UCI if it's ok to hire Floyd".

I mean. What other explanation is there?

Same as at the start of the Giro - either
1. all the teams told you their riders had high Hgb counts OR
2. the testing org (and you mentioned Rossi, but only much later in the thread) told you private details like, "oh yeah all the other teams tested high as well". Again, either unasked or you asked and she / they told you.

No doubt this appears as a personal attack, and a bunch of posters are just itching to put me in my place as a JV hater.

But in all sincerity, I am really only just trying to understand.

How do you know none of the other teams asked the ASO/UCI?
How can we verify that you did ask, and that their response is the reason you didn't hire Floyd? (which is what you said much earlier in this thread, from memory). To an outsider, the public negativity of your team's riders towards Floyd seems a far more likely reason he was not signed on by you.

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
JV

newbie who didn't have a Scooby doo you posted here, about 12% through this thread so far.

Top man for fronting up as well on top of what I've read and I have a bloody long way to go yet. I see lots of rational here too, more funny moments about our sir brad would be great please ;)

I would agree that looking better is great this year and I believed a lot. Watching them suffer and paying after was fantastic. The trusted always on Edgarco-o-meter didn't sound too much; mostly just a few really really annoying crucial places, fortunately not this time from my neck of the woods yet again. Unfortunately they spoil it for me so much yet again I found this place and now you.

Question: As a fellow owner of Edgarco-o-meter when you were simply a fan is it mostly a case of turning its volume right down in your shoes since you came back into the sport?

Cos with the racket mine makes at these crucial moments it would be a comfort to know your buzzer goes off in roughly the same places cos I find it really hard to believe that it doesn't; yet totally utterly illogical and stupid to publicly comment about specifics of course in your position and even more so with the possibility that 'one of your own' is/has been making that bloody din ;)