• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 280 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Ahh, but remember JV1973's admission ASO and the UCI are directly involved in selecting riders for teams.

Maybe ASO signaled they would be pleased with seeing Sir Brad at their events in 2015? If I were at ASO selecting riders, then there's no question I'd want Sir Brad racing ASO events. Can you imagine an easier way to ensure invites to the biggest races on the calendar for 2015?

This is great understanding^^^^, if ASO want Wiggins to stay around the team that signs him may be looked upon 'favourably'......

Maybe ASO like the idea of a 'Sir" in the pro peloton.

Benotti69 said:
Hey JV, did Uni of Denver 'bend' their rules to allow you do your MBA?

There is a distinct difference between an MBA and a "Executive" MBA. Executive MBAs have the expectation that you will use your current employment as part of your education program.

It's very normal for some institutions to allow entry without a first degree if there is suitable work or practical experience.

In fact historically an MBA program was designed for managers who have at least ten years in a given field.

What's occurred in he last few years is students doing double degrees and rolling straight into an MBA program with little or no work experience. Which defeats the purpose of the course.

One of the noted failures of the financial criss was way too many MBAs in upper management positions who didn't really have suitable work experience. The MBA allowed them to jump the queue in employment but didn't make them ready to handle failure or at least manage success.

SeriousSam said:
That contributed about 0.001% to the financial crisis..

You'd be surprised the analysis reports coming from MBAs about the strength and prosperity of the economy, stocks and funds.

These were meant to be the guys who were supposed to be able to foresee the troubled waters ahead. After all that's what's they studied.

The used car salesmen on the trading floors and in the mortgage houses perhaps not. They were just selling a product.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Hey JV, did Uni of Denver 'bend' their rules to allow you do your MBA?
his CEO/Chair/Presidentship of Slipstream more than enough.

heck, Harvard will offer an undergrad spot to Olsens and Lindsay Lohan

May 26, 2010
Visit site
JV, did you read what Bassons said in the Telegraph

He also has grave doubts about the effectiveness of the biological passport, describing it as a “shield” behind which riders hide. He even suggests that riders could be doping daily to keep their levels constant. “You can take microdoses,” he said. “You are not tested between 9pm and 6am and if you take a microdose of EPO at 9.01 pm it will not be detectable by 6am the next morning.

“I know the mentality hasn’t changed because if they had the riders would be telling us what TUEs they’d had. What vitamins they are on. They would talk a lot more but they are scared to.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...trongs-US-Postal-says-Christophe-Bassons.html

thehog said:
I'm sure you have a link for that.... or an economics degree at the very least... :rolleyes:

No trying to be a smartaxxx and off topic but he's some of the dialogue from the time.

There are several articles on the same topic if one wishes to google it.

Phillip Delves Broughton, an alumnus of the Harvard Business School, says a procession of Harvard–trained MBAs played starring roles in the economic collapse.

"George W. Bush was a Harvard MBA. Hank Paulson was a Harvard MBA. The CEOs of General Electric, Procter & Gamble, the heads of hedge funds, private equity funds [were Harvard MBAs]," Broughton says.

In a piece he wrote for The Times of London, Broughton calls them all Harvard's "masters of the apocalypse."

"There are lots of people in private equity and hedge funds who you've never heard of, but they all came from Harvard or Wharton or Columbia," Broughton says. "And I think you have a group of people who have the same education, who know each other, who've created an economic system that has created an enormous amount of hardship for people, and I think unnecessary hardship."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103719186

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
No trying to be a smartaxxx and off topic but he's some of the dialogue from the time.

Calm down dude.

It appears you Googled MBA_Blame_Crisis and posted the first link you found, which has little to with what you wrote.

I agree, the narrow pool that many leaders are often drawn from is an issue.....but that is not what you wrote. If you had I would have agreed with you.

thehog said:
What's occurred in he last few years is students doing double degrees and rolling straight into an MBA program with little or no work experience. Which defeats the purpose of the course.

One of the noted failures of the financial criss was way too many MBAs in upper management positions who didn't really have suitable work experience. The MBA allowed them to jump the queue in employment but didn't make them ready to handle failure or at least manage success.

Bush and Paulson, for all their faults, did not get their MBA's "In the last few years" and Paulson at least had decades of work experience.

Now I am sure you will post yet another link that has nothing to do what you claimed and once again drag the thread into another crazy rabbit hole. Please forgive me if I do not respond

thehog said:

There are several articles on the same topic if one wishes to google it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103719186

Through a a strange twist of circumstance, I oddly know a little something about GB's time at HBS, but I don't have to in order to ask the following:

How can you reconcile your previous statement:

"The MBA allowed them to jump the queue in employment but didn't make them ready to handle failure or at least manage success"

With a reference to the POTUS???

Let alone to Paulson, or the heads of GE, P&G (what role did P&G play for goodness sakes), etc.

Though I cannot explain how it happened (or didn't), but wasn't GB elected and didn't have to jump any sort of employment queue?

I am afraid that you lost somewhere me in that translation.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
Through a a strange twist of circumstance, I oddly know a little something about GB's time at HBS, but I don't have to in order to ask the following:

How can you reconcile your previous statement:

"The MBA allowed them to jump the queue in employment but didn't make them ready to handle failure or at least manage success"

With a reference to the POTUS???

Let alone to Paulson, or the heads of GE, P&G (what role did P&G play for goodness sakes), etc.

Though I cannot explain how it happened (or didn't), but wasn't GB elected and didn't have to jump any sort of employment queue?

I am afraid that you lost somewhere me in that translation.

Dave.

I guess you had to be there. Sorry for those who missed it :)

"The younger generation who designed and dealt in complex derivatives instruments came out of business schools ... Business schools were involved."

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2009/apr/07/mba-business-schools-credit-crunch

thehog said:
Unless you work in finance, have an MBA or worked for a multinational I wouldn't expect you to understand let alone wade into the discussion. So yes perhaps best to leave it to others.

Are seriously suggesting that you work in finance, have an MBA or have worked for a multinational after making these statements?

We are way off topic, of course. And, somewhat unfortunately, the above question is necessarily directed at you personally.

However, you have taken us here.

There have been many, many occasions when I have liked your posts and supported you. Can I strongly suggest that you back away from these most recent assertions?

You appear to be way out of your field.

Just saying.

BTW - it isn't hard to validly criticize MBAs. This isn't the way.

Dave.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
JV, any truth in the rumours that Garmin and Cannondale will merge?

And will Ivan then have to make a full confession to the authoriities?

What do you mean? He already confessed to only thinking about doping. Isnt that good enough for you?