• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kittel

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good Luck to Kittel in his new life chapter. So it turned out to be that his cycling mindset was not there anymore- so it kind of hints why he began to fade so inexplicably on his last years...... can't force the body to do things when the mind is dictating something else...

I checked the rider thread index, and most sprinters’ threads are between 6 and 9 pages; with a few running less. The 2 significant outliers are, obviously, Cav with over 100, and Sagan who is closing in on 200 pages. Kittel is about the same level as Kristoff, Greipel, Degenkolb etc.

Fan base and home country matter. It is the same for any other world class rider from germany. Imagine Buchmann being from the netherlands,belgium or france. There would have been a lot more hype. Same for Schachmann in the spring.

In hindsight, he didn't attract all that much love, did he? I know this is incredibly harsh but I just remember kind of muted admiration after yet another impressive, inevitable and yet unremarkable victory. I wonder if that was part of the reason he didn't find cycling as encouraging a community as others do.

Even in Germany, nobody cared about him. I'd say despite Germany being a country of sprinters and time trialists I'd argue that all the broader public cares about are GT GC riders, especially at the TdF. Probably Buchmann's success in this year's Tour has received more coverage in the media than Greipel's and Kittel's stage wins combined.

Compared to Cav and Sagan they aren't as out spoken or open about things which gives nothing to talk about that adds to less posts. Nothing you can really say besides how their performance is doing. Plus from a German rider standpoint, I don't think their riders are that outspoken compared to other nations.

Fan base and home country matter. It is the same for any other world class rider from germany. Imagine Buchmann being from the netherlands,belgium or france. There would have been a lot more hype. Same for Schachmann in the spring.
I think that often a handful of athletes will get the most of the attention on a sports forum. Sagan is one of them. Cav was one them. Cav was definitely helped by being from a country where cycling was gaining a lot of attention rather than losing it.

Kittel's a heartthrob in Japan! Nickname - Hello Kittel
B5NTnEQCIAAggtC.jpg

If Kittel was Dutch, he would be an absolute superstar looking like a fashion model! He didn't to the shampoo commercials for nothing after all! :D

Kittel & Fuglsang are probably the only cyclists that objectivly look like attractive sportsmen for teenage girls!

Apart from Alberto Contador of course @LaFlorecita!

Hmmm... Sagan? Domoulin? Bling? Ganna? Larry Warbasse? Boonen? Canc?

Those are my man-crushes, anyway.

TRENDING THREADS