• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Klöden named in Freiburg report

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi
The Albert-Ludwig University of Freiburg/Germany is located about 70 kilometers northwards from the Swiss border at Basel. From there, you won't have a view of the alps. You will see the Black Forest and the French Vosges Mountains on the other side of the Rhine valley. Being on tight budget I would recommend to explore Freiburg and the surrounding area, since to see a glacier would involve about 300 kilometers of travel.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Talk about off topic!

What's new on the Freiburg report and Klodi's involvement? There must be a reason this thread got brought back, no?

Andreas Klöden, soon to join up with Lance Armstrong's new RadioShack team, has paid a 25,000 euro financial settlement to the Bonn prosecutor's office in Germany, putting an end to an ongoing doping investigation against him.

Klöden, who was being investigated for the University of Freiburg case that involved blood doping in the 2006 Tour de France, has always maintained his innocence in the matter.

Under German law the payment was not an admission of guilt, but a way for the cyclist to put the case behind him and move on.

Last year Klöden's compatriot Jan Ullrich and mentor Rudy Pevenage paid the court settlements for the same investigation, preventing any further legal action against them in the case.

thehog said:
Andreas Klöden, soon to join up with Lance Armstrong's new RadioShack team, has paid a 25,000 euro financial settlement to the Bonn prosecutor's office in Germany, putting an end to an ongoing doping investigation against him.

Klöden, who was being investigated for the University of Freiburg case that involved blood doping in the 2006 Tour de France, has always maintained his innocence in the matter.

Under German law the payment was not an admission of guilt, but a way for the cyclist to put the case behind him and move on.

Last year Klöden's compatriot Jan Ullrich and mentor Rudy Pevenage paid the court settlements for the same investigation, preventing any further legal action against them in the case.

That's just pathetic. Unless this doesn't stop the German Cycling Federation from pursuing the matter.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
This only settles the civil suit I presume?
Yes it is a 'civil payment'.

It should be noted that this payment has nothing to do with the Freiburg case- as Ullrich and Pevenage also paid up to settle with the Bonn prosecuters.

This tells me a few things. First, it has nothing to do with the Freiberg doping case and whether the Swiss sporting organization wishes to still pursue the issue and find a way to sanction him, but I doubt that will happen.

Next, and I may be reading too much between the lines here, either Sinkewitz never really fingered anyone directly with any evidence, or whatever he did say lead investigators to a dead end. I'm guessing Klodi did go with Patrick, and there was talk of doping, but zero tangible proof that Klodi actually doped while there. I haven't read the full report, only the articles here on CN, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong someone.

If I had to guess, I'd say Klodi dodged a bullet here, and will now continue on with his career. We all know the UCI won't do anything about it.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
If you mean a further investigation of Klöden, that would be the Swiss cycling federation. He lives in Switzerland.

Susan

I'm a little confused. A rider's conduct is investigated (or not) by the federation of the country in which he lives rather than the federation of the country for which he rides internationally?
Switzerland. Camenzind, Richard, Dufaux, Zulle, Gianetti, Jarmann. Such talent for such a small country.........
At least Rominger was clean.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Klöden vs. CN?

Klöden paying the Prosecutors? This payment has me a bit confused...

Were the Prosecutors working FOR Klöden? Maybe on a Lawsuit
against CyclingNews for actually CREATING a forum where anonymous haterboys
can spew calumniatory and libelous statements - many times
even being encouraged by moderators?

If the prosecutors were working AGAINST Klöden, this payment
seems out of line....a bribe?...hush money?

Just seems weird to me.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
...Under German law the payment was not an admission of guilt, but a way for the cyclist to put the case behind him and move on....

What an interesting concept. I don't know enough about the details of this law, but at first blush it seems to benefit only those with financial means. A law that cannot be applied equally to all hardly seems democratic. I know, not the only example of favouritism for the rich, and it's hardly confined to Germany.

I hope that Sinkewitz had a lot more evidence to offer than the article revealed. It would be hard to make a finding of guilt based on his word and that of his girlfriend.

Barnaby said:
I'm a little confused. A rider's conduct is investigated (or not) by the federation of the country in which he lives rather than the federation of the country for which he rides internationally?
Switzerland. Camenzind, Richard, Dufaux, Zulle, Gianetti, Jarmann. Such talent for such a small country.........
At least Rominger was clean.

NO, by the country which issues his license, which is the country he lives in. That is why the Swiss are investigating Ullrich, Austria did Jaksche, Monaco suspended Rasmussen, etc.

Susan

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
NO, by the country which issues his license, which is the country he lives in. That is why the Swiss are investigating Ullrich, Austria did Jaksche, Monaco suspended Rasmussen, etc.

Susan
Thanks Susan. I had understood that licenses were issued by the country of nationality. The last license I had was issued by the Atlantis CF :D

Patrick Sinkewitz put him in the car for the 2006 TDF clinic "road trip".

No crime, no fine. He pays.

It's as good as an admission of guilt and he should get the Shack cold shoulder.....
.....but, we all know he probably won't.

Will the ASO put out the welcome mat? That's another story.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Patrick Sinkewitz put him in the car for the 2006 TDF clinic "road trip".

No crime, no fine. He pays.

It's as good as an admission of guilt and he should get the Shack cold shoulder.....
.....but, we all know he probably won't.

Will the ASO put out the welcome mat? That's another story.

They didn't stop him riding the Tour this year, so I don't think they will stop him in 2010.

craig1985 said:
They didn't stop him riding the Tour this year, so I don't think they will stop him in 2010.

That was before he virtually admitted to doping for the 2006 Tour.
You don't pay 25 grand, if you have nothing to hide.
He paid. He's guilty. Big sign around his neck.
I don't think this would have escaped the attention of the 2008 ASO.
The "new" ASO.....maybe.

Shouldn't the Shack sack him, though?

The real irony is, if they'd left him at Astana, the UCI would now have the ammo to pull their licence.
As it is, my guess is there will be silence from both parties concerned.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
That was before he virtually admitted to doping for the 2006 Tour.
You don't pay 25 grand, if you have nothing to hide.
He paid. He's guilty. Big sign around his neck.
I don't think this would have escaped the attention of the 2008 ASO.
The "new" ASO.....maybe.

Shouldn't the Shack sack him, though?

The real irony is, if they'd left him at Astana, the UCI would now have the ammo to pull their licence.
As it is, my guess is there will be silence from both parties concerned.

Kloden knew there was only one team where he wouldn't be bothered. Armstrong doesn't care and the UCI doesn't touch Armstrong or his team.

Very convenient.