• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Koechli & Helvetia/La Suisse-the clean team

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Alright, lazi;

Time to step up and take your 'rightful' place on the podium...

If you truly think I'm a fabricator, how about you step up to "l'etage" and give us some of your goods. According to you, you know more about pretty much anything than I do. Let's hear it...

Where were you racing? What teams were you on? When was this? How can you manage to carry that huge head of yours around, and still operate a keyboard? Maybe you have it propped up on one hand while pecking away in frustration with the other...

If you'd throw a little more humour into the posts, this could really become a swooning love affair. Unfortunately you just seem to want to pick on me, while I would just like to 'shoot-the-****' about the good ol' days and share some of my experiences (which are not solely of the fan variety, much to your chagrin).

As there seems to be a lot more doubt on this post about you, I do believe I'll posit that you need to adhere to your own hierarchy of disclosure before I relegate you to the bin of 'sad little loser who likes to shoot his mouth off and bully people'.

It's up to you. Your own options of A, B, or C.

I can't wait for your response, my little secret 'love nubbin'...

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Alright, ... my little secret 'love nubbin'...

Hey there jmchump. Surprised to see your response since you swore you were done in your last post. Oh, wait, I was forgetting for a moment that your statements bear no relation to fact ...

I can only surmise that your anger stems from being caught out. Once again, I extend to you the opportunity to prove me wrong by revealing some, any, corroborating evidence.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
laziali said:
Once again, I extend to you the opportunity to prove me wrong by revealing some, any, corroborating evidence.

Fail. Epic fail :p

Lazia, is that the best you can do as a retort? Sheesh. I'm pretty sure the 2nd-string debate squad at "Our Lady of the Worthless Miracle" junior high could have done better than that. :D

JMB, throw some stories around if you'd like. Some of us enjoy hearing them!

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
laziali said:
Hey there jmchump. Surprised to see your response since you swore you were done in your last post. Oh, wait, I was forgetting for a moment that your statements bear no relation to fact ...

I can only surmise that your anger stems from being caught out. Once again, I extend to you the opportunity to prove me wrong by revealing some, any, corroborating evidence.

Oh, nubbins...

My 'anger' stems from myriad places, but certainly not you. Your posts are merely a pleasant irritation... sort of like gettin a bit of heat rub in my chamois.

After your dissing Bauer's 'chopper' (and your interpretation as it being his only contribution to cycling) I realized that you actually have no grounding in cycling at all. I believe this has been manifestly exhibited by the other posters' replies to your ridiculous statements therewhith.

Your continual denial to bring anything of your history to the game only makes my lack of faith in you more concrete.

You are my Tinkerbell to my own Wendy, my Cat in the Hat to Sam, my Lance Fan to Reality.

Though I would love to fall into your sweet flabby arms, I still feel a little reticence... Tell me your most intimate of intimates, the sweet song of your soul, at least ONE of the ABCs of your requirements to post...

Something! Anything! I implore you...

Waiting with baited breath, my little Nubbin;
JMBeaushrimp

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
ferryman said:
Absolutely nothing to add to this thread other than I am really enjoying it:) Keep it going guys. Ding ding..

Ding Ding, indeed!

I'd love to spout off about something else, but to be honest... This self-proclaimed police-guy is just too good to let go.

Gotta love bike nerds...

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
laziali said:
...You asked to whom I compare Bauer? I'd say Phil Anderson. Jackie Durand. Not in the same league as Kelly musseuw etc. I can understand why a Canadian might think Bauer was great, and by Canadian standards he was, but not by world standards

Just to clarify, when you say that Bauer is 'average' what do you mean?

Average for a one day classic's rider, or average for a GT rider, or average for a rider who can end up in the top 5 no matter what the venue?

Hey, do you know how easy it was to become as good as Bauer, coming from Canada, in the 80's and 90's? Its not like you can ride all year long up here and cycling was NOT even on the radar for mainstream athletes in Canada. Bauer winning at cycling is like a East Indian athlete coming into the NHL and being a scoring leader year after year. Ya I think he's pretty impressive and above average. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Also, you said Bauer is not in the same league as Musseuw right? You do know that most people suspect Musseuw was 'charged' for most of his career don't you? JM confessed in 2007 and was sentenced to a lesser crime. What was his best finish in a major GT?

Lastly, you know where I'm from (Canada) and since you have been trying to out Schrimp...try throwing us a bone buddy. Where are you from, and what is your cycling interest...competitor or fan? Give us something 'cause if you don't...you shouldn't throw stones in a glass house!

NW

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
NewWorld;

Nice to see that you have a solid perspective on Bauer, and I'm not going to chalk it up to nationalistic nepotism. He really was an outstanding allrounder, as you've seen me rant on about earlier...

Don't mind Lazi, he's just ignorant and a little frustrated about something...

Personally, I think it's me. Sort of a frustrated man-loving crush that can never be. What can you do? It's a hard world for the unrequited...

I know MY heart is breaking...

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
NewWorld;

Nice to see that you have a solid perspective on Bauer, and I'm not going to chalk it up to nationalistic nepotism. He really was an outstanding allrounder, as you've seen me rant on about earlier...

JMB,

Thank you. I try not to be too biased but what can I say, I actually think that Steve B is above average and a true role model for cycling fans and future riders. That relentless, and humble, guy came out of nowhere in Canada and made it to the bigs, learned French, assimilated into Belgium (where they loved him until the Worlds of '88) and appeared to ride very well in any form of bike race he made entered.

Again and again no one suggests, or has stories, that he doped. I really hope his new role and team ascends into the Protour some day. The likes of Bauer and Vaughters are the future, IMHO.

Hey, as a former DS and rider ... is there any validity to the comments some bloggers post that different people respond differently to EPO for instance? And do you think you can shed any light into my belief that not all pros have access to the same type and magnitude of dope. That is to say, most dopers probably do EPO and some Test patches but do all have access to HGH and autologous blood programs? I think not, but shoot me some thoughts when you have the chance.

Lastly, what do you think of Ryder H?

Cheers

NW from up North...snows com'n soon.

laziali said:
I would have no brook with your story if you hadn't come on and accused a "star" of doping. Anonymous stories of your experiences as a DS and semi-professional would be of genuine interest. But as soon as you start accusing individuals of doping, you are going to need to pony up or appear incredible.

That's what got you worked up in the first place? Really? Accusing a top rider of doping in a sport where it's been the belief for nearly 100 years that you have to dope to be a top rider, at a time where it wasn't even remotely frowned upon compared to now? That seems like something anyone could say, even someone who's never actually seen a bike race in person but followed the sport in the most mild way.

And how would the fact that he decided to not name the rider make you think he was somehow fabricating a story to get attention? I understand being suspicious of anyone claiming to be anything on the internet, but your reasoning just doesn't make sense to me.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
NW;

Don't let lazi question what you think of Bauer. He really was a powerhouse in the peloton, regardless of what some [edited by mod] detractors may think. As you said, he was a threat in pretty much any race and on any course. History proves that.

As you brought up the doping in regards to him, here's another story that'll have lazi chomping at my nuts...

I was friends with a DS that was working for a non-Bauer team (but had worked with him), and I had made a bit of an off-side comment about Bauer putting out so much power in the muck and the cobbles that it looked a bit questionable. The guy pretty much jumped down my throat and was so vehement that Bauer would never do drugs that I thought he was going to throttle me. Not a very dramatic story, but telling as to Bauer's cleanliness...

As to riders responding differently to EPO, yes. Just the same as riders will respond differently to different training. Hence the prevalence of high-zoot doctors working with teams. They tend not to be GPs looking after the general health of the riders, but experienced ex-phys drs with a lot of experience 'in the field'. If you look at the drs who have worked with teams over the last decade or two, you can see the pattern.

Riders can have the same exposure/availability to PEDs, but that's only half the equation. The guys shooting in the dark (pardon the pun) will not be able to reap the maximum benefit of the PEDs, and are WAY more likely to get nailed. Back to team drs... As to homologous doping, the same thing. Any knucklehead can take blood and drip it back it in, but it's really not safe in a non-clinical environment and the ex and in timing are important. Back to the drs...

Catching onto the theme yet? Dirty doctors need to be run out as well. You keep seeing the same soigneurs and prepatores show up on team lists after being casually implicated due to riders testing positive. Maybe it shouldn't be such a casual implication...

The big guns who are cranking are seriously monitored, and that's the difference. Anyone can get some T patches, HGH, or Cort and play with them and see obvious improvement; but at the top end it's done in a much more monitored fashion for obvious reasons - contracts and sponsor money. NOBODY wants them to test positive. Back to the drs...

What do I think of Ryder H? I really liked watching him in the TdF this year, mostly because he showed that he had the balls to step into a role that was bigger than what was expected of him. I love seeing that, and it shows a lot about a rider under that sort of pressure. Maybe you Canadians have something in the water...

Thanks NW, and be prepared for another pointless tirade from lazi...

Neworld said:
Also, you said Bauer is not in the same league as Musseuw right? You do know that most people suspect Musseuw was 'charged' for most of his career don't you? JM confessed in 2007 and was sentenced to a lesser crime. What was his best finish in a major GT?
I don't know much about Bauer, I've seen the finish of that 88 WC and I've read about some of his other exploits, so I'm not going to judge whether he was all that great or not (I must say you Canucks appear to be a wee bit biased, though), but... the bolded part is such a wrong approach it hurts.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I don't know much about Bauer, I've seen the finish of that 88 WC and I've read about some of his other exploits, so I'm not going to judge whether he was all that great or not (I must say you Canucks appear to be a wee bit biased, though), but... the bolded part is such a wrong approach it hurts.

I probably am biased, sorry. I tried to explain why I am biased above.

About JM's best GT finish, its because I don't actually know for sure and the other blogger seems to be a fan so I thought I'd ask him.

NW

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
My 'anger' stems from myriad places, but certainly not you. Your posts are merely a pleasant irritation... sort of like gettin a bit of heat rub in my chamois ... MBeaushrimp

Well readers, it seems our little friend JM Beaushrimp is, to use his own words, "Fcking Crazy" - have a look (and laugh) at his blogspot under that title:http://globalretards.blogspot.com/

To quote some of JMB's less lucid ranting from that blog:

"Regardless of the fancy-panted niceties of figuring out a blog, allow me to assure you that this will solely be a clearing-house of the crazy, sick, depraved, fear-inspiring, and let's not lose the plot just yet... and the totally FCKING CRAZY!

I want to see what the last bastion of America has to offer! And the crazy fcks in Europe, throwing themselves off mountains in squirrel suits and striking for the people! Aggro black-clad anarchists waving the flag owned by the oligarchs are welcome! Hut-dwelling third-worlders who really just want something to eat are really more than welcome! The disenfranchised parents of children who have died in pointless wars of imperialism are welcome! The homeless in the 'richest' countries of the world are welcome! ANYONE is welcome to explore how "our" system has really fcked us in the as."

Apologies for [c]ircumventing the swear filter, but really it is necessary to quote JMB verbatim in order to see how truly unhinged he is.

So, folks, in summary:

1. JMB asserts being a semi-pro and then DS who is "in the know" on which "stars" dope.

2. He refuses, over the course of another 20 or so posts, to provide any simple verification of his claims - all we get from him is angy obfuscation after angry obfuscation.

3. In July of this year he posts on a blog in a way that reveals paranoia and a serious amount of anger.

4. His blog makes it very hard to believe he is employed at all, let alone as a DS in the pressure cooker that is pro-cycling.

I think we can all draw our own conclusions.

Well, to those of you who have expressed pleasure in following this little expose of JMB's fantasies, thank you and I hope you have enjoyed the ride as much as I have. However, while it's been enormous fun giving JMB the thrashing of his life, it is time to accept that there is a diminishing return on investment from here on in, and so I now figurative reach over the net, ruffle little JMB's hair and wish him well for the trip back to the practise courts.

Farewell, little fellow, I hope you resolve your anger issues, and better luck next time!

Over and out:D

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Neworld said:
I probably am biased, sorry. I try to explain why I am biased above.

About JM's best GT finish, its because I don't actually know for sure and the other blogger seems to be a fan so I thought I'd ask him.

NW
Not good!!

http://www.letour.fr/HISTO/us/TDF/coureur/914.html

50th with a career total of 5 days in yellow

Bauer by contrast is somewhat better

http://www.letour.fr/HISTO/us/TDF/coureur/4696.html

Best was 4th with a 10th & 15th not to mention 14 days in yellow.

Museeuw wins the Classics hands down but there is a very very big asterisk next to them all IMO, and I like him!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
laziali said:
Well readers, it seems our little friend JM Beaushrimp is, to use his own words, "Fcking Crazy" - have a look (and laugh) at his blogspot under that title:http://globalretards.blogspot.com/

"Regardless of the fancy-panted niceties of figuring out a blog, allow me to assure you that this will solely be a clearing-house of the crazy, sick, depraved, fear-inspiring, and let's not lose the plot just yet... and the totally FCKING CRAZY!

I want to see what the last bastion of America has to offer! And the crazy fcks in Europe, throwing themselves off mountains in squirrel suits and striking for the people! Aggro black-clad anarchists waving the flag owned by the oligarchs are welcome! Hut-dwelling third-worlders who really just want something to eat are really more than welcome! The disenfranchised parents of children who have died in pointless wars of imperialism are welcome! The homeless in the 'richest' countries of the world are welcome! ANYONE is welcome to explore how "our" system has really fcked us in the as."

Apologies for [c]ircumventing the swear filter, but really it is necessary to quote JMB verbatim in order to see how truly unhinged he is.

So, folks, in summary:

1. JMB asserts being a semi-pro and then DS who is "in the know" on which "stars" dope.

2. He refuses, over the course of another 20 or so posts, to provide any simple verification of his claims - all we get from him is angy obfuscation after angry obfuscation.

3. In July of this year he posts on a blog in a way that reveals paranoia and a serious amount of anger.

4. His blog makes it very hard to believe he is employed at all, let alone as a DS in the pressure cooker that is pro-cycling.

Well, to those of you who have expressed pleasure in following this little expose of JMB's fantasies, thank you and I hope you have enjoyed the ride as much as I have. However, while it's been enormous fun giving JMB the thrashing of his life, it is time to accept that there is a diminishing return on investment from here on in, and so I now figurative reach over the net, ruffle little JMB's hair and wish him well for the trip back to the practise courts.

Farewell, little fellow, I hope you resolve your anger issues, and better luck next time!

Can't see anything to be concerned about in that blog at all. Perhaps you should have posted the latest post too for true context?

And as far as thrashings go, you didn't even make contact mate!

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
laziali said:
So, folks, in summary:

2. He refuses to provide any verification...

3. In July... reveals paranoia and anger.

4. ..very hard to believe he is employed as a DS in the pressure cooker that is pro-cycling.

Wow :(

1. Actually he claimed to be an ex-pro, but as it was at least a 15yrs past, hardly in the know and hardly cares. Didn't he say he stopped following the sport cold turkey until recently?

2. You gotta be kidding. He politely (and humorously) asked you to do the same thing and your response was.....(crickets)

3. Googling him, reading off-topic blog postings, and then reporting back to us about it?? Seems a bit PARANOID of you. Let us know if you find anything interesting in his trash barrels out by the curb :D

4. I don't think he stated he's employed as a DS. He stated he WAS. Never specified at what level of the peloton or what level of the team's management hierarchy. So the pressure-cooker might only be in your head...

"I think we can all draw our own conculusions".

I think most of us have at this point of the thread. I've just called Nurse Ratchett and told her you need "the boys in the white pajamas" to take you back to your padded room now. :)

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi lazi!

Great to hear from you... yet again.

I'm not sure if my alter-ego posted those blogs or not, perhaps... Mind you, play-on-word pseudonyms are probably fairly thick with some cross-over.

I'm going take your impassioned tirade as misplaced affection and hope that one day, perhaps when you can adhere to your own strata of legitimacy, we can truly get to know and love one another.

I know it's a match made in heaven...

By the way, I NEVER said I wasn't crazy.

Still waiting with baited breath, and longing for the day when I can be snuggled in your lying arms. Mmmm... it gives me the warm fuzzies just thinking about it.

Come back, my sweet little enforcer of affection!

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Laz,

I don't want to pile on, but could you answer the questions I posed to you about Bauer...average at some things or everything.

Where would you rate Bauer overall of all riders (GTs and single day classics)

Your answer will help me assess your 'forum' equity.

Let the Shrimp affair go...so far he's pretty cool and funny ta'boot.

NW

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Neworld said:
Laz,

I don't want to pile on, but could you answer the questions I posed to you about Bauer...average at some things or everything.

Where would you rate Bauer overall of all riders (GTs and single day classics)

Your answer will help me assess your 'forum' equity.

Let the Shrimp affair go...so far he's pretty cool and funny ta'boot.

NW

Hi NW, sorry, got distracted outing my friend (but that's done now).

As for Bauer, my opinion is that, overall taking into account his entire career, he was OK but not great. I say that having regard to my memory of his palmares, and the circumstances in which they arose. I think there are very few riders who are truly "great", so let's not misunderstand one another on definitional issues. So, for me, Bauer would have been closer to my definition of "great" if he had hit the following:

- He had won gold, not silver, in the '84 Olympics.
- He had won gold, not bronze, at the Barca Worlds.
- He had finished better than 4th in the '88 Tour, which was a comparatively weak field (he was beaten by Delgado, Rooks and Parra).
- He had won the '88 worlds (I know, I know, crashes are bad luck, but the fact remains he didn't win).
- He hadn't lost P-R by a millimetre or whatever it was.
- He hadn't relinquished yellow in '90 to Ronan Pensec of all people.
- He hadn't embarrassed himself with that chopper bike at P-R (I forget which edition, but he was out of contract that spring).

By way of comparison, riders who spring to mind as being truly "great" from Bauer's era include Hinault, Lemond, Kelly.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
laziali said:
- He hadn't lost P-R to Dirk Demol, who was a donkey compared to Bauer.

Wrong year, and wrong guy Laz. Demol beat Thomas Wegmuller in 88. Bauer got beat by Eddy Plankaert - who clearly isn't a donkey.

laziali said:

So, folks, in summary:

You know, I only just read this thread and I have no dog in this fight, but it seems to me that just about any time somebody feels compelled write a post where they claim that they have "thrashed" whomever it was that they thought they were arguing with, they didn't at all.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
laziali said:
Hi NW, sorry, got distracted outing my friend (but that's done now).

Oh, lazi...

Say it isn't so! You're done with me? I thought we were just getting to know each other... Well, at least you were getting know me. Since you're still too busy holding up that huge head of yours to answer any of your own questions, I guess we'll all have to wait until you feel comfortable enough in your own mediocrity to let something slip.

Here's a thought - maybe Bauer tanked the Olys so he could turn pro that year. Back then an Olympic winner was not allowed to turn pro the same year and ride worlds, which Bauer did and consequently won bronze at the WCs.

Pretty impressive... I know that you could still drop him like a rock, lazi, and I certainly didn't want to detract from your superhuman ability to throw it down like no one else, but still it's a pretty cool accomplishment.

You're right, though. One race on a weird bike at the tail end of a career really should be grounds to ignore a career full of accomplishments.

Regardless, I'm still longing to hear more 'sweet nothings' in my ear...

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
Wrong year, and wrong guy Laz. Demol beat Thomas Wegmuller in 88. Bauer got beat by Eddy Plankaert - who clearly isn't a donkey.

Cheers Bag-O, edit made ;) Eddy P was clearly no donkey.