• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kristoff

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Re:

robertmooreheadlane said:
There are two reasons why the norwegians dope - One is because of the backlash and disdain with which the fans and the media treat them if they are not the best in the world, two is because when they are not racing they are all off in the most remote parts of the country training that they are pretty much guaranteed not to be caught up and tested. Think OOC testing in Norway is up amongst the most test eager countries for sure.

You only have to look at the career of Ole Einer Bjoerndaal (?) on the biathlon team, 40 plus and still winning world cup races against all the best in the world, up until a couple of years ago. Well, he doesn`t win on his physicality anymore and hasn`t in the last 5-6 years, he hardly wins at all tbh. Btw, He lives in Italy or something, and follows his own regime more than not

If the norwegians had discovered such amazing ways of training in endurance then why are other endurance athletes not flocking to the shores of norway to train, the way triathletes go to boulder or the gold coast of australia to train, not becuase the drugs in boulder and australia are easier to get hold of, of course!!! Quite a few skiers do go to Norway, but it is a cold country, too cold for most non winter sport athletes i would imagine. Don`t think there is anything amazing though, but neither are the results if you bother to look behind them, just a gigantic talent pool and money being put in compared to the rest of the countries

Why do the long distance runners head to kenya to train and not go to norway in the summer and learn this new wonder training method. The elevation you can train on in Norway isn`t high enough, it`s cold, and the kenyans are better at running? And where does this wonder training come from?/b]

Why is there not some new training bible that is making someone a lot of money. Trust me the first time anyone thinks they come up with something new they cash in quick with a training plan and a book and a nice big coaching base with lots of high paying athletes eager to learn their new technique. [
b]Pretty sure there isn`t a new training bible

So unless they have started to put something in the water in Norway I am afraid I'm inclined to go back to BS nationalistic defence mechanism and cheating dopers.
As is your right, hardly supported by your above mentioned arguments though

Btw, I don`t think Martin Fourcade is doped either, and he has been skiing remarkebly fast the last few years..

Re: Re:

bjorn said:
Gung Ho Gun said:
bjorn said:
http://inrng.com/2015/04/how-to-beat-kristoff/
the easy way ---doping
the hard way----- training.
You'll have a hard time convincing me that Terpstra, Van Avermaet and Sagan didn't do both of those things
i don't know do you?
but i know that it is a huge difference between Martin Jonsby sundby the best skier (on top in WC) from Norway and the best from Sweden. he trains over 200 hour more every year.
Why should it not be the same in cycling.
nothing is black or white. so i hope this forum will turn in to something more positive .

We can talk about the low moral of the cyclist in the field. but what of our moral. we can hang a man up on the wall without any evidence at all.

that is the reason why i had to log in to this forum and speak out.
When doping is starting to get better we must at leat try t set a lowest standard for our writhing.
( i ma not speaking on my English who is as bad as it can be ):)

The trouble here Bjorn, is that we've all heard these arguments dozens of times before. From Festina, to Postal to Sky and so many others who "worked harder" and "trained more". It's a standard explanation for what is typically unexplainable, and it exists so reporters can ask the questions and fans who "want to believe" can have their consciences assuaged.

The reality is that every time, the vast bulk of evidence or proof shows that this is a lie, every time.

They are professional cyclists. It's one of the most demanding jobs in the world. They all work hard and we have no way of knowing who trains the hardest, or smartest or the best.

You should consider being a bit more skeptical of these kinds of well-worn stories.

DFA123 said:
Gung Ho Gun said:
bjorn said:
http://inrng.com/2015/04/how-to-beat-kristoff/
the easy way ---doping
the hard way----- training.
You'll have a hard time convincing me that Terpstra, Van Avermaet and Sagan didn't do both of those things

Exactly. The main reason why riders dope out of competition is to allow them to train harder and recover more quickly between training sessions. It's disingenuous to try to separate training more from doping.

Great point that can't be repeated often enough.

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Pulp
I am not sure what point you are trying to make
Ole Bjorndal was the most succesful biathlete of numerous generations and was winning world cup races into his forties and he is norwegian, that points to doping, the fact he lived and trained in italy doesn't help that argument at all. He is norwegian and the point was about the fact norwegians don't dope due to their nationality, not where they live.

Also not sure what your point about martin fourcade is unless you are trying to point the finger and shift away from the norway debate to france as he is one of a few who can compete with the russians who many think are doped to the eyeballs.

The fact is that XC skiing was one of the first sports to use EPO and has had a long history of it and that they can quite easily use the same techniques as cyclists to get around the tests is basic history.
The fact that the Norwegian and swedish ski federations are the two most vociferous federations against journalists who look into this, not vociferous against dopers but for gods sake dont be a journalist and try to uncover anything.

They also use the same old stories used in cycling about contamination of food, samples, supplements etc etc etc.

They were the first and the times for the races continue to fall and the same nations are at the top of the sports
The more things change the more they stay the same.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
It is no doubt true that athletes from different nations, once you control for sport, dope with different frequencies. If we knew this for two countries, and all we knew that rider A is from country Y and rider B from country Z, we ought to believe it is more likely A dopes than B.

There are plenty of factors that could cause the type of person that pursues pro sports (self-interested homo sporticus) to dope in Y but not in Z, such as tighter control, fewer doping enablers, less pronounced culture of doping etc.

It´s easy to explain:
While "1%-country A" (let´s assume it´s Germany) offers young athlets other options in (business-)life, the "48%-country B" (let´s assume it´s Kenya) leaves the young athlets two options: Make it in sports, or fail. So while in the wider talent-range of athlets the doper-percentage is maybe less in Germany, at the highest level it´s the same: Once the German athlete made the same decision (to make it big in sports) as the poor Kenyan runner, he has to do the same work-place doping to keep up. Simple as that. No ethics advantage.

Better training in Norway: Well, we heard that BS before. Case closed.

Least positives in Norway: The answers lay all in this thread... They dope as much as everybody else at the highest level.

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Re:

robertmooreheadlane said:
Pulp
I am not sure what point you are trying to make
Ole Bjorndal was the most succesful biathlete of numerous generations and was winning world cup races into his forties and he is norwegian, that points to doping, the fact he lived and trained in italy doesn't help that argument at all. He is norwegian and the point was about the fact norwegians don't dope due to their nationality, not where they live.

Also not sure what your point about martin fourcade is unless you are trying to point the finger and shift away from the norway debate to france as he is one of a few who can compete with the russians who many think are doped to the eyeballs.

The fact is that XC skiing was one of the first sports to use EPO and has had a long history of it and that they can quite easily use the same techniques as cyclists to get around the tests is basic history.
The fact that the Norwegian and swedish ski federations are the two most vociferous federations against journalists who look into this, not vociferous against dopers but for gods sake dont be a journalist and try to uncover anything.

They also use the same old stories used in cycling about contamination of food, samples, supplements etc etc etc.

They were the first and the times for the races continue to fall and the same nations are at the top of the sports
The more things change the more they stay the same.

My point.. He stopped winning a few years ago, not in his 40s, and if you bothered to read the last sentence, i believe Fourcade is clean... In fact, one of the main reasons I think France is so competitive the last few years is that they benifit from the field being cleaner than in a few decades. And if you follow biathlon you should have noticed that Russia is struggling. The reason is probably that they are getting clean.
And here is another significant thing about biathlon: The shooting is quite important.. Think you need to go back quite a few years to find Bjørndalen being the fastest skier.. When he HAS nicked a rare win it`s been through superior shooting the last seasons.
And a third significant thing when it comes to biathlon & XC skiing: The use ski!!!
Again, I`m pretty sure no one comes close to Norway in the resouces they put into preparation of skis.. And it does separate and very much influence the outcome, and on average, you`ll find that norwegians have competitive skies, on some occasions to the point that the other nations hve competed at a clear disadvantage. (Obviously they have *** it up and shot themselves in the foot at other occasions as well)
So no, I don`t agree it points to doping.

Another thing, IBU stores samples and have started sentencing from old samples.. No norwegians has been busted from that either.. (A german and some russians though)
The Italy part was just to illustrate that Bjørndalen is his own man (Still clean though).

Infact, I believe XC-skiing has become pretty much clean as well.. The results certainly suggests so. The countries that did struggle with organized doping was russia, finland, italy and austria. They seem to have stopped.
The fact that swedish and norwegian ski officials didnt want to cooperate much with a very speculative documentary is hardly proof of anything, albeit with the glasses some people in this forum have, i`m sure its proof of doping.

But I`m also sure there could surface a story at one point where the odd norwegian or swede get knicked for doping. A norwegian top skier could make $500k-1,5m a year and become a hero, so I`m sure it could happen. And I also know Kjærgård & Pedersen (norwegian cyclists) where doped. I`m not claiming moral superiority, I`m not claiming genetics or revolutionary training. But for ski it`s simple: By far the largest talent pool combined with by far the largest resources and systematisation and transfering of knowledge through decades. That tends to give you an edge.. The russians might be close in talent pool and a distant 2nd when it comes to resources. However they have always relied on doping, so when trying to change (as Im sure they`re doing) to a clean approach, it takes time. Give them a few years, maybe a decade, maybe 2 even, and they`ll get there im sure.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Well, there is this one insident supposedly pretty well known amongst XC-skiiers and people connected to those environments, it is known not only because of grey-area behavior, but because the somewhat infected issue it created between prominent atheletes. I do not know if anyone who was there would be willing to confirm this, but this is usually how the story is told:

At altitude in Salt Lake where OEB would compete both in XC and biathlon, at the time people had huge beleif in portable oxygen mask/tanks for swift recovery after and between competitions. This was clearly a grey-area so all the nations agreed not to use such equipments. When one of the other norwegian biathlon atheletes entered a norwegian team tent, there OEB was with a oxygen mask. This other athelete was a candidate for winning medals also and he had huge ambisions so he created a huge argument with the norwegian management...who knew very well and had even facilitated OEB's activities.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

the sceptic said:
norwegians are super nationalistic when it comes to sports. They also have never had any doping scandal with a famous athlete. I guess this is why they are 20 years behind on doping knowledge and sound like skybots/Lance fans when they emerge from norwegian forums.
just a slight bit daft too. one of the inalienable attractions of norske folk

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Felice Gimondi said:
Well, there is this one insident supposedly pretty well known amongst XC-skiiers and people connected to those environments, it is known not only because of grey-area behavior...

The grey-area behavior is well known. In a tv-feature on Ulvang and Dæhlie, I think it was made between Albertville and Lillehammer, Ulvang himself said something like this: "If people knew all the grey area stuff we do, they might not like it."

Also, when Dæhlie was trying to come back after his injury and the debate over the use of "høydehus" was ongoing he said something to the effect that it is fine to insist on a ban on this type of thing but don't expect anymore victories if you do.

Of course, this gray area stuff might be just a deflection, a little bit like the way some Sky fans are hoping that Froome et al. is only using something not yet banned.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

olhell said:
Interview with Stein Ørn in todays VG (in Norwegian):
http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/sykkel/kr ... /23431930/
Stein Orn: "doping doesn't work". great, then that's settled and we can move on.

Kudos to the reporter for presenting Rasmussen's counterview :D
- "I think Stein Orn emerges as a man who will not acknowledge that it is still possible to dope. Blood doping can still be performed simply in smaller doses", he says.

Danish Michael Rasmussen doped in eight different ways over a period of 13 years. He does not agree with Stein Eagle.

On the contrary: "chicken" firmly believe that he got an effect of using banned substances.

- Why should steroids, growth hormones and stimulants be illegal if they are not performance enhancing? ask Rasmussen to VG.

"I noticed even the effect of both cortisone, testosterone and growth hormone. And caffeine and paracetamol.
- Caffeine was bracing and paracetamol painkilling?
- Yes.
- What kind of effect did the other substances?
- Testosterone shortens recovery time, increases the strength and the potential amount of exercise. Growth hormone maintains muscle mass and increase fat burning. Cortisone raises the pain threshold and makes the rider thinner. All in all, it seems performance enhancing.
In an elite athlete who settled on margins, have tiny improvements much to say," says Rasmussen.

"I noticed even the effect of both cortisone, testosterone and growth hormone. And caffeine and paracetamol.
- Caffeine was bracing and paracetamol painkilling?
- Yes.

God d*mn it. I take caffeine, and I still suck. semifat and produce mediocre results. I feel those effects, alright :D

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
It's interesting seeing my prejudice when a Katusha rider wins a race - I see the celebration just past the finish line and just cringe. Instantly unbelievable. Moreso probably than any other team. The rider is irrelevant.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Trond Vidar said:
olhell said:

Although I kinda understand where he is coming from, that interview will not do him any favours.
where's he coming from?

it's pretty clear he's a doping coach, even more so with that interview.
If he were a clean coach, why for f-sake did he allow his two brightest talents to sign for Katusha?
The urgent question is: is Stein Eagle Orn doping minors?

sniper said:
Trond Vidar said:
olhell said:

Although I kinda understand where he is coming from, that interview will not do him any favours.
where's he coming from?

Sorry. By where here is coming from, I mean "what he is on about". Just poor english on my side.

There are some nuances in this article, although it is from the most tabloid newspaper in Norway.

- He does say that doping takes you to a new level
- He does say that large amounts of EPO gives a tremendous advantage (the only thing he really fears the competition is using
- He says that other doping products such as kortisone and testosterone he is not afraid of. Those can be matched by structured training.

It's with these things I mean I understand what he is on about/understand where he is coming from.

However, that interview is still all over the place. The Placebo argument is related to HGH, for cyclists. But he should know that whenever you say doping/placebo in front of a journalist - as a cardiologist, then you are doomed :D

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
He dosen't say that doping dosen't work at all, his point is that (with regards to steroids) that:

"through long term systematic - and correct- training, you can develop a natural hormone response that is far more effective"

He thinks that the extra muscles in itself is not useful if the tendons, capillaries and oxygen consumption isn't developed along side them, then you just have extra bulk to carry around.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Trond Vidar said:
sniper said:
Trond Vidar said:
olhell said:

where's he coming from?

Sorry. By where here is coming from, I mean "what he is on about". Just poor english on my side.

There are some nuances in this article, although it is from the most tabloid newspaper in Norway.

- He does say that doping takes you to a new level
- He does say that large amounts of EPO gives a tremendous advantage (the only thing he really fears the competition is using
- He says that other doping products such as kortisone and testosterone he is not afraid of. Those can be matched by structured training.

It's with these things I mean I understand what he is on about/understand where he is coming from.

However, that interview is still all over the place. The Placebo argument is related to HGH, for cyclists. But he should know that whenever you say doping/placebo in front of a journalist - as a cardiologist, then you are doomed :D
i understand the meaning of "coming from", not bad english at all.
My question was cynical, what I meant to say is I don't see "where he's coming from".
He's denying the benefit of HGH for cyclists, and pretending not to know about (the benefits of) microdosing EPO. Guess he didn't read the USADA files on Lance and Leinders...

Rasmussen's reply is spot on:
"Stein Orn emerges as a man who will not acknowledge that it is still possible to dope".

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

kottila said:
He dosen't say that doping dosen't work at all
not literally no, but he's saying the effects are so minimal that it can be compensated for by hard training. It's the Sky/Garmin message all over again.
And he's pretending not to know about microdosing, even though everybody who hasn't been living in a cave knows that microdosing was already the norm in the Lance era.

"through long term systematic - and correct- training, you can develop a natural hormone response that is far more effective"
wow, cool, and what if you do and-and, rather than either-or? #allovertheplace

He thinks that the extra muscles in itself is not useful if the tendons, capillaries and oxygen consumption isn't developed along side them, then you just have extra bulk to carry around.
now isn't that exactly where the benefit of microdosing EPO comes around the corner...

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Sorry but that's idiotic. Testosterone / steroids shorten recovery times. There is no structured training you can do that matches the recovery availed from using those drugs. Any structured training done by one rider is going to be doable by the steroid user, except they can train harder for longer.

And pedantically, those drugs do not "give you extra muscles" - that's a fixed quantity, according to the IGF R3 article I was reading. They increase in size thanks to steroids, but only given the right training. Otherwise you're just recovering quicker than anyone naturally.

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Given that he specifies high dosage EPO in the article, it's fair to say that he's heard of microdosing.

Just because he might be wrong about a subject dosen't necessarily mean he's doping minors.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
So what does the future hold? “I think it is still possible to get better,” he suggests. “Like I seen in intervals in stuff…the young guys I am training with can still keep following me. So for sure you can get stronger. That is no doubt.

“If I go in the long climbs I get dropped. Maybe if I get stronger I can survive a little bit longer.”

Kristoff for the tour win? :cool:

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site