• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LA fleche wallone thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nowadays we have guys spending their whole winters at 5stars hotels in Costa de sol or canaries, or special facilities at Sierra Nevada, and also doing heat training. Perfect conditions for nice training blocks, but these guys then come up north for Ardennes, Paris nice, and can't cope with the cold.

It's nice to see a hardman rider win in such conditions. These days they get less opportunities, because organisers are neutralising giro stages when they have a little rain and less than 10 degrees on the climbs.

Similar to how we asterisk races that were won in infamy or robbed like the 2023 Vuelta* or 2016 MSR*, races that were won in infernal conditions or with an memorable all-time attack, where the mere race name itself doesn't tell the story, will be denoted with a (!) like LBL 1980(!), KBK 2010(!) Tour 2006(!) or today.

The streets will never forget Steven Williams' crazy ride in 2024 Fleche Wallone(!)

zfaAqUSUN9GTpqLP54amhX-320-80.jpg

They just need to dress right. A guy in full tights and long sleeves won today and aero isn’t going to cost anyone the win on a stage like this or the mountain stages known for the worst conditions, but guys still dress like it’s a 35C sunny day.

I've seen so many riders in recent years not even wearing a light base layer under the jerseys, even in spring in races with changing weather. obvs you'll freezy if you don't cover fast when things get colder

They just need to dress right. A guy in full tights and long sleeves won today and aero isn’t going to cost anyone the win on a stage like this or the mountain stages known for the worst conditions, but guys still dress like it’s a 35C sunny day.
THJ more or less said the same after the race. According to him, Uno-X was best prepared for the conditions, and that's why everyone of them finished the race. When it started to snow, he knew most others would be done in half an hour.

Admit - dropped in by 9.7K togo, and have no time for recatch
But still havent sunk in why so many riders could not cope with the cold and wind!?

Until a few years ago, I participated in a harbinger of spring for casuals in my country, most typically ridden in +1°C, mud, rain and hail for 4-5-6 hours with the gift arrive at the finish line, a quick shower and main event of the day: a hot bowl of soup and a beer in bottle.

And by far best experience riding without gloves in white knuckles, the toughness was the absolute main part of the race, a race unfortunately deceased now but heard of a revival of the fall edition (at least until recreational races disappeared into soulless sponsor names, this cycling club had two cornerstones on the recreational road bike race calendar: the first- and last race on each season, ensuring hard weather conditions)

But obviously, body fat percentages have rattled down over the past decade in order to hunt marginal gains.
But marginal gains are also just stopping to put on clothing for the occasion - this was seen much more frequently in the past.

Just trying to find an explanation.

Nowadays we have guys spending their whole winters at 5stars hotels in Costa de sol or canaries, or special facilities at Sierra Nevada, and also doing heat training. Perfect conditions for nice training blocks, but these guys then come up north for Ardennes, Paris nice, and can't cope with the cold.

It's nice to see a hardman rider win in such conditions. These days they get less opportunities, because organisers are neutralising giro stages when they have a little rain and less than 10 degrees on the climbs.

From a secret source I know the Giro organizers promised Teddy not to call off any stage, no matter weather conditions. That's the only reason why he decided to ride the race.

What is this? A bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier riders duking it out. Don't even wanna watch the replay.. Makes me long for the good old days of superstar puncheurs

On to Sunday
The race was good, action from a far, atypical for Fleche. This Stevie Williams is a promissing guy, he could win again I think.
As for the puncheurs field, it's rather poor these days. Valverde, Purito, Dan Martin all retired, Alaphilipe not a shade of himself, Roglic constantly skipping this race. I remeber the times when Pogacar was an outsider, and hell even he wasn't there.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan