• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance's Bikes Raise $1.25 million for cancer research

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
Hope rides again, Courage, Defiance. I need it all not to buy these products.

Is the Cancer really Nike? I'm confused. See lots of Livestrong and Nike logos but the only awareness I'm gaining is for my dwindling bank balance if I have to buy all these over priced consumables. Think Lance will spot me some of that 3mill he made from race appearances so I can raise my "awareness"?

Lance_01_inline.jpg

Lance_18_inline.JPG

Lance_11_inline.jpg

Lance_12_inline.jpg

I'll say one thing for Lance. Fantastic legal, PR and marketing people behind him. Which is a good thing, because going by that letter he sent to the Wall Street Journal, he is very poorly educated.

usedtobefast said:
what difference does that bike sale make in any of your lives?
i have no money for it, but those who did purchase them, it's ok.
oh wait, it's lance armstrong, so it's not ok? the logic is silly.

I have no problem with it. Why is it a problem for you that we are talking about it?

I love boys,” says Hudson in the new British Elle. Her previous boys include Owen Wilson, Lance Armstrong and ex-husband Chris Robinson.

They’re “so easy to figure out,” she says.

Then she offers her sex and sandwich assessment, crediting radio therapist Laura Schlesinger’s “The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands.”

Perhaps Kate should also credit mother Goldie Hawn, who’s been with actor Kurt Russell for a Hollywood near-record-breaking 26 years! Could Goldie be a sex and sandwich-er too?

Says Hudson, “If you had a bubble over (men’s) heads, they’d be thinking about game scores, masturbation, and food.”

And there you have it, the male psyche in all its raw animal simplicity.

thehog said:
I love boys,” says Hudson in the new British Elle. Her previous boys include Owen Wilson, Lance Armstrong and ex-husband Chris Robinson.

They’re “so easy to figure out,” she says.

Then she offers her sex and sandwich assessment, crediting radio therapist Laura Schlesinger’s “The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands.”

Perhaps Kate should also credit mother Goldie Hawn, who’s been with actor Kurt Russell for a Hollywood near-record-breaking 26 years! Could Goldie be a sex and sandwich-er too?

Says Hudson, “If you had a bubble over (men’s) heads, they’d be thinking about game scores, masturbation, and food.”

And there you have it, the male psyche in all its raw animal simplicity.

A) Where is A-Rod in the long list of male ****s that she has spread for?

B) Masturbation .... ??? WTF?

We ARE simple, but still not simple enough for her to figure out. Thanks for confirming what we already knew, Kate.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
boys are stupid - throw rocks at them

People Magazine can be enlightening for sure!

But what about the difference between being aggressive and being hostile?

http://www.enlightennext.org/magazine/j41/guru-pandit.asp?page=1

"Wilber: We’ve completely forgotten the distinction between aggression and hostility. Masculine aggression in its healthy sense is a capacity to move toward in a forceful, strong way. If you see a stag headed down a hillside and there’s a bush in front of it, you can see its nostrils flare out and it drags its heels a couple of times, and then it will charge at the bush and push through. That’s aggression. We don’t say the stag “hates” the bush—he’s just mobilizing his capacity to break down barriers. And that’s the best thing that masculine aggression does. It’s a boundary breaker. Whether it’s the sound barrier or barriers to education or barriers to integration, masculine strength has the capacity to break them down.Of course, if that gets unhealthy, then it produces hostility; it produces hypermasculinism, and, as you say, the flip side of that is the ball-less weenie."

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
This gets ridiculous. Lance Armstrong has raised more money for cancer awareness/research (and really charity in general) then any other athlete on the planet and people tear him down because they don't like him.

Solid post, that's the bottom line. NOthing more to be said.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ProTour said:
Solid post, that's the bottom line. NOthing more to be said.

And it is wrong.

Terry Fox has raised twice what Armstrong has, and unlike Armstrong he did much of the work himself.

While not an athlete the Susan G. Komen fund has raised $1.5 billion. And unlike Livestrong they earned Charity Navigator's highest rating, four stars. They also do not spend their cash promoting a doper's brand, they spend it on finding a cure.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't suppose you'll have heard of Jane Tomlinson - after all, she was only an amateur athlete and only raised a paltry £1.8 for cancer research by completing a series of challenges like the London and NY marathons, triathlons and cycling across Europe and America. Unfortunately she wasn't one of the lucky ones - her breast cancer came back aggressively and killed her. But she didn't raise as much as Armstrong and she died - loser :rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong also gets 150k per speech on cancer which goes in his pocket, and the TDU backers the South Australian government were under the opinion it went to his cancer foundation... ofcourse, it gets spent there mostly in the promotion of Armstrong.

Why the heck were they at Tour of California painting on the road and with "hope rides again" future political placards...

that is where your money goes.

Clemson Cycling said:
This gets ridiculous. Lance Armstrong has raised more money for cancer awareness/research (and really charity in general) then any other athlete on the planet and people tear him down because they don't like him.

Let's take it to an extreme. I am NOT saying Lance is OJ Simpson. I am sure there some morons who will act like I did not say that. But since OJ has raised money for charity, does that lift the stigma of his image somehow?

It's apples and oranges and you seem to be arguing that good deeds permit the commission of bad deeds, or at least that no stigma be attached.

How about A-Rod? Ray Lewis? Michael Vick? Should I go on?

Research? A smidgen, to keep critics from saying that no money is for research. Charity? Yes. He seems to have a problem with his self image and needs to be worshipped, but enough dime store analysis from me.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling does not have a clue that Armstrong has co-opted cancer a a commercial brand and is making money out of it.

150k a speech when he goes to charity dinners and cancer symposiums. What a crook!

ggusta said:
Let's take it to an extreme. I am NOT saying Lance is OJ Simpson. I am sure there some morons who will act like I did not say that. But since OJ has raised money for charity, does that lift the stigma of his image somehow?

It's apples and oranges and you seem to be arguing that good deeds permit the commission of bad deeds, or at least that no stigma be attached.

How about A-Rod? Ray Lewis? Michael Vick? Should I go on?

Research? A smidgen, to keep critics from saying that no money is for research. Charity? Yes. He seems to have a problem with his self image and needs to be worshipped, but enough dime store analysis from me.

In the UK, there was a former 'star' of reality TV by the name of Jade Goody who died from cancer and due to her sad death, many people and women in particular became aware of the need to check themselves for signs of cancer. The increase in the numbers attending clinics after her death was massive.

Not to speak ill of the dead but Goody was apparently not the most intelligent person in the world and was regularly villified in the media and public alike for a number of reasons. I hate reality TV but I knew who Goody was as she was a symbol of modern TV fame.

I am sure its all there on wikipedia ot wherever.

I will say that when Lance was first diagnosed with cancer in 96 that it made me far more aware of cancer and my own mortality as he was a healthy young sportsman in the prime of his life so he had a definite positive affect on my life. I said it before, I respect his work for cancer but as time has passed it has become more like a PR campaign to defend himself and to promote a certain image.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
ggusta said:
Can we just combine the two threads?

I had brilliant commentary on the other thread and the people who only see this thread may go the rest of their lives all the poorer for not having been exposed to it if they only read this thread.

That would be a crying shame for them.

Excellent! thanks for the smile! Now, can you 'splain my penchant for continued reading here of all SORTS of stuff (and not just yours, gg?)

pmcg76 said:
In the UK, there was a former 'star' of reality TV by the name of Jade Goody who died from cancer and due to her sad death, many people and women in particular became aware of the need to check themselves for signs of cancer. The increase in the numbers attending clinics after her death was massive.

Not to speak ill of the dead but Goody was apparently not the most intelligent person in the world and was regularly villified in the media and public alike for a number of reasons. I hate reality TV but I knew who Goody was as she was a symbol of modern TV fame.

I will say that when Lance was first diagnosed with cancer in 96 that it made me far more aware of cancer and my own mortality as he was a healthy young sportsman in the prime of his life so he had a definite positive affect on my life. I said it before, I respect his work for cancer but as time has passed it has become more like a PR campaign to defend himself and to promote a certain image.

I am not sure why you quoted me, your response is in no way a dialog with me. Do you know that you can just post a reply with no quoted post at all. It comes in handy sometimes.

Didn't you already more or less post the same post earlier?

I'll go easy, Pats won, the Giants just lost their 4th straight at home and I was able to ride a whole 25 miles today , so life is too good to wrangle with you. Plus I can't even tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing...

pmcg76 said:

I don't get this over valuing of famous people by our culture. Does testicular cancer run in your family?

I'll tell you what, diabetes and heart condition runs in my family, I don't need some celeb-u-tard or athelete with diabetes or heart condition to raise my awareness. What am I supposed to do about cancer? Worry about the slim chance I might get testicular cancer.

When I was 20, I wasn't aware of my own mortality nearly as much as I am now, it wasn't like I was walking along unaware and then Lance got cancer and I said, "Oh crap, we're all gonna die!" That's just dumb and makes my point for me.

You settle down, start a family and then you realize you need to keep living to make sure your wife and kids lives aren't ruined by your untimely death and ignoring your own body's messages to you. It's called growing up. Some people need these remote celebrities to become aware of the things they should be aware of in their own home even if they never read a paper or owned a TV.

All this technology seems to distort our sense of reality by putting family at a distance and famous people we'll never meet now stand in their places.

It's just plain fucked, I tell ya'.

Gee333 said:
Why does Australia, Ireland, etc. give big sums of $$$$ to LA to show up and race and talk about whatever? The almighty dollar, euro, peso, yen, franc...!

They may have paid him $2mill to show up but it'd be intersting to see how much money they got in return in terms of publicity, tourism, interest in the race, increased $$ to citites involved, taxes, TV/media coverage, et al.

Australia knew darn well that if they could get LA to debut his "comeback" in their race it would generate HUGE publicity worth way more than what they paid him.

So LA isn't the only one pocketing some change. Both sides get what they want out of it: $$ and publicity.

Now back on topic... the "art" bikes are fugly but they served their purpose too.

I agree, Tiger is getting a few million this week and I don't have a problem with it. But it's strictly an appearance fee, there's no guise that any portion of it is to support global awareness of the unfortunate.