• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance's Bikes Raise $1.25 million for cancer research

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
Nice job Lance. You are the only cyclist in the history of the sport that could pull this off. Roughly $180,000 per bike.

If all (or at least most) of it goes to cancer research it really is a great thing to do.
No matter what one thinks of Armstrong, a million dollars is a lot of money to raise.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Virenque routinely auctioned his bikes to raise money for African causes close to his heart - does that instantly stop him being a winy doper? Hmm, thought not.

However, the cause is ultimately a good one, despite the dubious ends it is put to.

Still $500,000 for the Hirst 'I'll let a bunch of assistants cover a bike with naff butterfly stickers' horror simply proves some people have way more money than sense or style

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
RdBiker said:
If all (or at least most) of it goes to cancer research it really is a great thing to do.
No matter what one thinks of Armstrong, a million dollars is a lot of money to raise.

None of it goes to Cancer research.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Yes of course, awareness. Which means funding Lance's private jet.

I am so sick of the negativity on this website that I finally had to register just to say, please do a little research before you spout off: BBB Wise Giving Alliance Report on Armstrong Foundation

-------------
LAF provides grants for cancer survivorship research; grants to community organizations; delivery of cancer survivorship education and support services; and grants to survivorship centers at academic medical institutions. In addition, LAF also focuses on building partnerships with other national organizations and individuals to enlist them in the fight to establish high quality services and policies benefiting those affected by cancer. LIVESTRONG® Young Adult Alliance works to improve the survival rates and quality of life for young adults living with cancer. LIVESTRONG® Survivorship Center of Excellence Network is an initiative to create and maintain a network of survivorship centers that fosters collaboration to increase the impact in cancer survivorship. LAF funds programs initiated at community-centered non-profit organizations and agencies that cover topics such as general cancer survivorship education and support, physical activity, exercise and nutrition for cancer survivors, and pain, palliative and end-of-life care. LIVESTRONG® SurvivorCare provides cancer survivors with information, referrals, case management and patient navigation, allowing them to more effectively identify and address critical cancer-related issues and communicate with their health care team. The program assists cancer survivors in managing the physical, emotional and practical aspects of their cancer experience, including psychosocial support, patient navigation services, and matching to cancer clinical trials.

For the year ended December 31, 2006, LAF's program expenses were:

Public Health 11,098,982
Research 8,035,278
Survivorship 5,872,613
Advocacy 2,972,994
Grants management 671,575
Volunteers 499,752
Total Program Expenses: $29,151,194

-------------
I work with charities as part of my job, and BBB Wise is a reliable reporting service. If you care to look, LAF's tax returns are also available online through Guidestar (another industry service; free registration) and will confirm that LA is one of LAF's 15 directors and receives $0 compensation for his time. Even if he wanted to take $ from the Foundation, it would lose its tax-exempt status if it benefited him personally.

So, by all means, continue your LA-hatefest all you want, but please don't be blind about it and disparage a very worthwhile organization. :mad:

Dominar said:
I am so sick of the negativity on this website that I finally had to register just to say, please do a little research before you spout off: BBB Wise Giving Alliance Report on Armstrong Foundation

-------------
LAF provides grants for cancer survivorship research; grants to community organizations; delivery of cancer survivorship education and support services; and grants to survivorship centers at academic medical institutions. In addition, LAF also focuses on building partnerships with other national organizations and individuals to enlist them in the fight to establish high quality services and policies benefiting those affected by cancer. LIVESTRONG® Young Adult Alliance works to improve the survival rates and quality of life for young adults living with cancer. LIVESTRONG® Survivorship Center of Excellence Network is an initiative to create and maintain a network of survivorship centers that fosters collaboration to increase the impact in cancer survivorship. LAF funds programs initiated at community-centered non-profit organizations and agencies that cover topics such as general cancer survivorship education and support, physical activity, exercise and nutrition for cancer survivors, and pain, palliative and end-of-life care. LIVESTRONG® SurvivorCare provides cancer survivors with information, referrals, case management and patient navigation, allowing them to more effectively identify and address critical cancer-related issues and communicate with their health care team. The program assists cancer survivors in managing the physical, emotional and practical aspects of their cancer experience, including psychosocial support, patient navigation services, and matching to cancer clinical trials.

Public Health 11,098,982
Research 8,035,278
Survivorship 5,872,613
Advocacy 2,972,994
Volunteers 499,752

-------------
I work with charities as part of my job, and BBB Wise is a reliable reporting service. If you care to look, LAF's tax returns are also available online through Guidestar (another industry service; free registration) and will confirm that LA is one of LAF's 15 directors and receives $0 compensation for his time. Even if he wanted to take $ from the Foundation, it would lose its tax-exempt status if it benefited him personally.

So, by all means, continue your LA-hatefest all you want, but please don't be blind about it and disparage a very worthwhile organization. :mad:

From the same website you forgot....
"Fund raising costs were 33% of related contributions. (Related contributions, which totaled $25,124,752, are donations received as a result of fund raising activities.)"

33% !!!! Which means funding Lance's jet and err getting him to the races that pay him 2million buckaziods for turning up.

Nice work if you can get it.

Please don't confuse the work this organisation does, which in the most, is good work with what Lance gets out of it personally so he can go spend the "marketing budget" flying himself around the world.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Being somebody who has watched, and continues to watch, Cancer affect the lives of numerous family and friends, I admire Lance for what he's doing for cancer awareness and research. I'm not what some will call a fanboy, but I really don't understand all this hostility toward him. It seems very unwarranted and totally unjustified. I'm just sayin, not trying to get off topic here.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Dominar said:

-------------

Public Health 11,098,982
Research 8,035,278
Survivorship 5,872,613
Advocacy 2,972,994
Volunteers 499,752

-------------

Thank you for the info, however it is out of date.

The LAF has been clear in recent years that research is of lower importance to them and their focus is more on "Awareness" and building the Armstrong brand. For 2008 the number had dropped to less then $2 million. I should have used the world "Little" instead of "none"

Armstrong has leveraged the Livestrong name, built by the charity, for personal gain. He launched a FOR profit .com site, a line of Livestrong stationary bikes and treadmills, and soon a Livestrong magazine.....all for profit, for Lance.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i don't have a strong opinion one way or the other except this thread is hardly about the professional bike racing and i'm afraid belongs in the cafe or a general forum. good deeds are fine but why should they interfere with and distract from the ongoing hot racing events and conversations.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
Being somebody who has watched, and continues to watch, Cancer affect the lives of numerous family and friends, I admire Lance for what he's doing for cancer awareness and research. I'm not what some will call a fanboy, but I really don't understand all this hostility toward him. It seems very unwarranted and totally unjustified. I'm just sayin, not trying to get off topic here.
Some guys just do it to keep up some dust because they know it will **** someone off and they get a charge out of it. To be fair, there are also those who clearly are fans of Lance who also will bait those who don't. It is a two-way street run by opposing groups that will often interfere with reasonable discussion of simple topic.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:

My best friend in the world just finished his second round with the Big C. One of my best friends in my industry has been fighting, and winning, his battle with colon cancer. My college roommate, who remained a close friend for over 20 years, died 2 hours ago from Malignant Metastatic Melanoma.

Armstrong's story provides hope to many, at the same time I find it distasteful the way he leverages his followers against anyone who questions his actions. He should not be above scrutiny.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Thank you for the info, however it is out of date.

The LAF has been clear in recent years that research is of lower importance to them and their focus is more on "Awareness" and building the Armstrong brand. For 2008 the number had dropped to less then $2 million. I should have used the world "Little" instead of "none"

Armstrong has leveraged the Livestrong name, built by the charity, for personal gain. He launched a FOR profit .com site, a line of Livestrong stationary bikes and treadmills, and soon a Livestrong magazine.....all for profit, for Lance.

All of which is perfectly normal for large charities ... by law, they cannot engage in any commercial activity under the tax-exempt umbrella. So, it's common to set up affiliates and then funnel their after-tax dollars (since the commercial activity is not tax-exempt) to the supported charity.

Whether the LAF spends less on research and more on awareness is a policy decision made by the 15-member board of directors. It does not mean that "awareness" is not a bona fide purpose or that, all of a sudden, LA is on the payroll.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
From the same website you forgot....
"Fund raising costs were 33% of related contributions. (Related contributions, which totaled $25,124,752, are donations received as a result of fund raising activities.)"

33% !!!! Which means funding Lance's jet and err getting him to the races that pay him 2million buckaziods for turning up.

Nice work if you can get it.

Please don't confuse the work this organisation does, which in the most, is good work with what Lance gets out of it personally so he can go spend the "marketing budget" flying himself around the world.

No, I didn't forget it. Believe it or not, 33% is not unreasonable for fundraising expenses. It costs money to put on events, mail donation solicitations, etc. Check out other large charities and see what their expenses are, if you don't believe me. But again .... the IRS does NOT look favorably on any $ flowing from the charity to a director, key donor, and other "disqualified persons." If even half the $ you claim is going to LA from the Foundation actually is, directly or indirectly, the Foundation would be audited in a heartbeat.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Dominar said:
All of which is perfectly normal for large charities ... by law, they cannot engage in any commercial activity under the tax-exempt umbrella. So, it's common to set up affiliates and then funnel their after-tax dollars (since the commercial activity is not tax-exempt) to the supported charity.

Whether the LAF spends less on research and more on awareness is a policy decision made by the 15-member board of directors. It does not mean that "awareness" is not a bona fide purpose or that, all of a sudden, LA is on the payroll.

The livestrong brand was built by the charity and its donors. It is now being leverage to provide income for Armstrong. Hard not to see the conflict there.

I agree that awareness is an important issue. If you went to the ToC you would see that Livestrong was there in force.....building awareness of the Armstrong brand, speaking little of cancer. All the better to sell shoes, helmets, sunglasses, FRS.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The livestrong brand was built by the charity and its donors.

No, it was built by Armstrong and his cancer surviving story. The charity and donors didn't suddenly donate all by themselves. That's not how it works. No Armstrong, no charity to donate to.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Dominar said:

You realize that no matter what you say, they won't be convinced, right?

The realization that the LAF can leverage "a brand" in order to get the US and other governments to spend more money on cancer than the LAF ever could've dreamed of spending is hard to understand for people who are focused on hating Armstrong.

$20 million spent on research
OR
$20 million spent in order to get more money put into the NIH or NCI might result in $200 million going into research.

$200M > $20M

A few people moaning about complementary and alternative medicine has turned NCCAM into a huge $$$-sink.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The livestrong brand was built by the charity and its donors. It is now being leverage to provide income for Armstrong. Hard not to see the conflict there.

I agree that awareness is an important issue. If you went to the ToC you would see that Livestrong was there in force.....building awareness of the Armstrong brand, speaking little of cancer. All the better to sell shoes, helmets, sunglasses, FRS.

It's easy to read your perspective on the matter, but it is difficult to see a clear connection to Armstrong's pocket from the Livestrong foundation as you are suggesting.

Keep in mind that LA, as an athlete, does have key endorsements that will benefit himself and his bank account, just like any star athlete. Unlike those other athletes, Armstrong has a successful foundation geared towards raising awareness that leverages his name based on athletic achievement.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Some guys just do it to keep up some dust because they know it will **** someone off and they get a charge out of it. To be fair, there are also those who clearly are fans of Lance who also will bait those who don't. It is a two-way street run by opposing groups that will often interfere with reasonable discussion of simple topic.

...as it seems to be doing right now.

I find this thread unnecessary and unrelated to cycling
Yes- is LA doing it for his LAF-good for him and his pockets-but what makes it a news worth reading for cycling?
FYI there are another Pro cyclists out there doing fantastic Charities without the spectacle or the media fuzz, which only helps to inflate his ego, rather than the cause he claims he's fighting for-but the must regrettable aspect of it is entire event being created around those horrendous bicycles ........

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
This gets ridiculous. Lance Armstrong has raised more money for cancer awareness/research (and really charity in general) then any other athlete on the planet and people tear him down because they don't like him.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
It's easy to read your perspective on the matter, but it is difficult to see a clear connection to Armstrong's pocket from the Livestrong foundation as you are suggesting.

Keep in mind that LA, as an athlete, does have key endorsements that will benefit himself and his bank account, just like any star athlete. Unlike those other athletes, Armstrong has a successful foundation geared towards raising awareness that leverages his name based on athletic achievement.

Yes.

Also, everyone wants to make a living.

Race Radio said:

So you begrudge him the fact that he isn't 100% an altruist? That he hasn't taken a vow of poverty? Hilarious.

Do you think doctors are taking advantage of all those sick people out there who need surgeries and medications? OR how about the physicians in doctors without borders? Is it so bad that part of the reason for doing it is that some physicians want to travel?

TRENDING THREADS