• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance's victims: who he'll have to pay back

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
my mum for emotional damage

she was (but not any more) a big livestrong believer and all this coming out now makes her sick

p.s. she's a cancer survivor

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
UCI $125,000 (plus any secret bribes that weren't publicly confirmed)

p.s. money he's due back of course for failure to make everything disappear properly

$20M for the SCA. They will settle for half.

A few 100K to the Times. Maybe he won't pay because it would be a judgement in a foreign country.

Livestrong Sporting Park in Kansas changes its name.

That is pretty much it unless something happens with the qui tam suit.

10 - 30% of the penalties to Floyd.

"Under the program, tipsters whose information proves crucial to a case could get 10% to 30% of penalties over $1 million."

+ the actual penalties for Fraud in the Fed Case.

What was the budget for USPS? 30m?

Is there a way to quantify the amount of hours and production lost by businesses worldwide due to employees spending time in The Lounge? I blame Lance for at least an hour a day of lost production at my work. This Thursday will be several hours wasted I expect!

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
TubularBills said:

"Under the program, tipsters whose information proves crucial to a case could get 10% to 30% of penalties over $1 million."

the federal case was dropped so no whistle blower money for floyd. or maybe armstrong has blown the whistle on floyd and is going to get paid out on the FFF fraud

TubularBills said:

Fraud against the government is liable for treble damages. $90M. Armstrong owned about 10% of Tailwind.

There is quite a long history of the governement being stingy when it comes to paying whistle-blowers. The government gets to decide how much your information was worth. People sometimes have to file suit to demand a reward.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
$10m SCA
$3m Sunday Times
$10m LeMond
$2 Stephanie Mcilvain
$1m Walsh

Anymore?

Wasnt the word that he had other similar incentive(team insurance) with others Lloyd's etc?
I should point out is something I recall may have come from the clinic.Maybe others will know.
And isnt that really what all this is really about; the $$$$$$.Pretty sure if LA was skint he would of thought " O fek it " nothing too lose.

BroDeal said:
The qui tam case is ongoing. The big question is whether the DoJ will (or has) joined the suit.

Thanks for the support.

Working purely from logic... if Armstrong loses in arbitration, isn't the qui tam an automatic victory?

How could the DOJ ignore the elephant in the middle of a gimme case?

From my understanding they didn't dismiss, they just chose not to pursue 'at this time?'

TubularBills said:
Thanks for the support.

Working purely from logic... if Armstrong loses in arbitration, isn't the qui tam an automatic victory?

How could the DOJ ignore the elephant in the middle of a gimme case?

From my understanding they didn't dismiss, they just chose not to pursue 'at this time?

For the SCA situation I think there might be big questions about what the ASO's response will be. It is not in the interest of the ASO to invalidate the better part of a decade of results. What if the ASO maintains Armstrong in its list of results? What if the UCI sort of ignores the USADA? There might be a bit of wiggle room for Armstrong.

For the qui tam case doping is only the first rung of the ladder. Armstrong could have doped without defrauding the U.S. Postal Service. Who signed the contracts with the USPS and what did he know?

User Guide said:
Wasnt the word that he had other similar incentive(team insurance) with others Lloyd's etc?
I should point out is something I recall may have come from the clinic.Maybe others will know.
And isnt that really what all this is really about; the $$$$$$.Pretty sure if LA was skint he would of thought " O fek it " nothing too lose.

Yes.

Either co-insurance, a sidecar deal or a re-insurance policy.

I cannot remember the amount, but will try and look it up tomorrow. Guess is ~$3-5m

Regards, David

BroDeal said:
For the SCA situation I think there might be big questions about what the ASO's response will be. It is not in the interest of the ASO to invalidate the better part of a decade of results. What if the ASO maintains Armstrong in its list of results? What if the UCI sort of ignores the USADA? There might be a bit of wiggle room for Armstrong.

For the qui tam case doping is only the first rung of the ladder. Armstrong could have doped without defrauding the U.S. Postal Service. Who signed the contracts with the USPS and what did he know?

Not the place or the thread (i.e. already covered) - but if LA was an owner of Tailwind which defrauded the USPS then...

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/491383/did-armstrong-own-a-stake-in-tailwind-sports-or-not.html

Does anyone know if a corporation has limited liability from a quasi-federal institution? & what about a now defunct corporation? Are the owners still liable if they have the means?

i.e. could I form a corporation, commit crimes against the government, dissolve my corporation and escape personal liability?

Boy this sounds as sticky as USADA, but somewhat different. i.e. USADA = act of congress, USPS authorized by the Constitution...

Another organization similar to the above, the Fed was commanding corporations like marionettes during the financial crisis, so...

US Government vs. Defunct Tailwind, who wins?

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Surely this case will ultimately be decided by CAS.How could tbe UCI ignore them?

Still searching for more on Lloyds.

There were three companies that insured the bonus, however.

SCA is out a total of $12m, $9.5 bonus plus ~$2.5 in legal fees.

In terms of who else should be paid back, unfortunately the USADA case does not go back to the $1m from the triple crown. Steve Swart has confirmed, through deposition, that Lance 'bribed' other riders and teams to secure that win.

Dave.

This article doesn't mention SCA, Walsh, etc., but just considers money from winning and endorsements:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/...tus-endorsement-potential-fade-into-oblivion/

According to Sports Illustrated’s Fortunate 50 rankings from 2004 and 2005, Mr. Armstrong’s annual “salary” from competition was $500,000. Presuming this amount is consistent with his winnings from all 7 Tour de France seasons, that alone is $3.5 million. Given his iconic status in the sport, it would not be a surprise if he earned roughly that much per year since his last Tour title to simply show up at select races. That’s another 7 years.

In sum, he will have to pay back approximately $7 million just in past winnings alone.

Referring to the same Sports Illustrated data from 2004 and 2005, Mr. Armstrong averaged $17 million in endorsements. Though he would be less likely to command that dollar amount today being years removed from his competitive best, there is plenty of recent evidence that his brand appeal is still quite strong and could command at least $10 million in endorsements and appearance fees over the next 5 years…at the least!

Hence, it appears as though Mr. Armstrong may have just kissed good-bye to at least $50 million in product endorsements over the next 5 years (combined with the immediate loss of $7 million annually for past winnings).

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
lostintime said:
He doesn't owe anyone anything.
This whole "retribution" thing .... when does it end ?
It ends when he meets the man in the bright nightgown. The wheels of justice turn slowly but grind exceedingly fine.

TRENDING THREADS