• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis letter re drug use in cycling

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
...Waiting for confirmation would be the sensible thing to have done before posting a sensationalist headline that has yet to be backed up with evidence.

The headline ended with a question mark. The subheading said "claims", and paragraph 1 made it clear that they didn't know if Landis was actually the author. Same paragraphs says they'll release details once they've done some homework. Seems to me they're being careful about this, not sensational. The media always release headlines about potentially noteworthy events.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
I read his 3 posts and don't see any claims of insight, just educated guesswork. Did you come here to discuss the topic or pick a fight?

Well he popped over to the ToC thread to announce that Armstrong won't be in the Tour de France this year.

But now he admits Landis does not finger Lance.

Sure it's bad PR for Lance, and a lot of people are going to be saying this confirms what we already know. I bet he will still ride the tour though.

Primarily this is a black day for Floyd Landis. If true he has now confessed to lying about this repeatedly for many years.

You would expect me to day this, of course, but I don't think he's going to carry much credibility.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
If this is true I don't know why he didn't do it before now. Imagine the book sales. He would no longer be sleeping on couches.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Eyjafjallajokull said:
If true he has now confessed to lying about this repeatedly for many years.

You would expect me to day this, of course, but I don't think he's going to carry much credibility.

No, I think your point has merit. It is hard to put too much faith in someone who denied something to the extent that Floyd denied doping, IF he were now to admit to doping and also finger others as dopers. But we're not talking about a court of law here. It's the court of public opinion and convictions here are made on common sense, experience, and even gut feelings. A different standard, but often far a more accurate one.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
The headline ended with a question mark. The subheading said "claims", and paragraph 1 made it clear that they didn't know if Landis was actually the author. Same paragraphs says they'll release details once they've done some homework. Seems to me they're being careful about this, not sensational. The media always release headlines about potentially noteworthy events.

Exactly - either way this pans out CN have a really good scoop.

Who is the Cycling offical? (UCI/USA Cycling)
Did they confirm/deny that Landis is the source of the letter and how?
What did the official do?
What did the 'organization/authority' do?

If they get confirmation from the 'cycling official' that FL is the source then FL will have a difficult time if he tries to deny involvement.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
If they get confirmation from the 'cycling official' that FL is the source then FL will have a difficult time if he tries to deny involvement.

I don't get why he would deny it if he actually signed his name to it.

BTW thanks for fingering me as our newest member. :p That whole thread was hilarious.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate the wording in the article, but after todays' Giro stage and the post-mortem, and then an ATOC stage, CN wouldn't have wasted time typing the article if they weren't pretty sure that it's the real deal, and important. They could have just waited if they didn't think they had an exclusive. There are plenty of news stories and interviews floating around, and if they end up printing a "never mind", they'd be ridiculed. I hope it all hits before the TdF.

Eyjafjallajokull said:
Well he popped over to the ToC thread to announce that Armstrong won't be in the Tour de France this year.

But now he admits Landis does not finger Lance.

Sure it's bad PR for Lance, and a lot of people are going to be saying this confirms what we already know. I bet he will still ride the tour though.

Primarily this is a black day for Floyd Landis. If true he has now confessed to lying about this repeatedly for many years.

I actually agree with you. It won't make a big difference. The guy is dirt. But he wants to rebuild his life. Armstrong will ride on but at what cost?

He can hardly claim that he didn't know Bruyneel had set up
a program at USPS. He'll have to explain himself & the French press won't let it go come Tour time.

I'm with you. Cycling is in a much better state now. Armstrong really needs to move on and let this new generation improve the sport. It's for the best.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
If this is true I don't know why he didn't do it before now. Imagine the book sales. He would no longer be sleeping on couches.

My reading of the CN piece is that CN got access to a letter from a source that is not Floyd.

They appear to have received a letter sent from Floyd to a 'senior cycling official'.

Cyclingnews.com has been sent a letter purportedly from Floyd Landis to a senior cycling official with revelations of drug use in cycling in the period up to his Tour de France victory. We are awaiting responses from individuals involved and hope to bring you full details shortly.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
My reading of the CN piece is that CN got access to a letter from a source that is not Floyd.

They appear to have received a letter sent from Floyd to a 'senior cycling official'.

That doesn't make sense. Then who sent it to CN? I would think it has to be FL and they are confirming unless somebody else had a copy of course.....which I guess is what you are saying.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
It would beggar belief that CN report on this and not be almost totally sure this letter is from Landis. That makes me think it's 95% certain to be true. They're surely not stupid enough to report on some email they got from Floyd.Landis@thehog&RaceRadio.com

No, it must be real. Sad that he seems to have planned this to receive as much publicity as possible, no doubt so he can earn something out of this. But good that he has only fingered himself. Like frankie andreu he at least he has some sense of honour.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
They could have just said "a letter from a top cyclist..." or something of that nature to keep it anonymous while they checked it out but that they'd mention Landis specifically by name suggests to me that they've already looked into it a bit and feel confident that it might just be legitimate.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
I don't get why he would deny it if he actually signed his name to it.

BTW thanks for fingering me as our newest member. :p That whole thread was hilarious.

Bad bad choice of words .............. (I deny everything)

:)

As you said earlier .... get the popcorn.

I'll provide the drinks.
5yw3zs.jpg

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Eyjafjallajokull said:
It would beggar belief that CN report on this and not be almost totally sure this letter is from Landis. That makes me think it's 95% certain to be true. They're surely not stupid enough to report on some email they got from Floyd.Landis@thehog&RaceRadio.com

No, it must be real. Sad that he seems to have planned this to receive as much publicity as possible, no doubt so he can earn something out of this. But good that he has only fingered himself. Like frankie andreu he at least he has some sense of honour.

Maybe a shot across the bow of the Armstrong camp that FL is ready to get paid and that living like a bum is getting old? Dude learned from GL in the trek case....

Nice name Eyjafjallajokull

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Eyjafjallajokull said:
They're surely not stupid enough to report on some email they got from Floyd.Landis@thehog&RaceRadio.com

This Icelandic personality of yours is the first one with a sense of humour.

Eyjafjallajokull said:
Sad that he seems to have planned this to receive as much publicity as possible, no doubt so he can earn something out of this.
We don't know much yet, but it seems like this was released by a third party, not Floyd. Nice try.

Eyjafjallajokull said:
But good that he has only fingered himself.

?:confused:? This personality shares the same disregard for fact as the others. You just made that up.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Bad bad choice of words .............. (I deny everything)

:)

As you said earlier .... get the popcorn.

I'll provide the drinks.
5yw3zs.jpg

Your mind is in the gutter. Maybe I should've said "accused me" of being our newest member. :D

I do see how "fingering our newest member" could be twisted by the perverts in here, especially with the name "dickwrench" flying around.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
I'm with you. Cycling is in a much better state now. Armstrong really needs to move on and let this new generation improve the sport. It's for the best.

But Armstrong is a much loved 7 times champ - the closest thing we have to a legend that is still riding. I don't see any reason for him not to please the majority of the public by riding the tour. And for those that don't like him, don't you want to see him get beat again?

Eyjafjallajokull said:
no doubt so he can earn something out of this. But good that he has only fingered himself. Like frankie andreu he at least he has some sense of honour.

shocking to thing a rider would lie to earn money?? or lie to the public? I mean lance will have to check if a patent has been infringed here! :p

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
How does this make any sense? If Landis wanted to blow the lid off, why would he send a letter to some cycling official talking about doping that occurred 4 years ago? Why wouldn't he just go on Larry King again?

TRENDING THREADS