• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis letter re drug use in cycling

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, it does depend on details, if any. IF he was as thorough as Joe Papp with keep info and taking photos...

Dr. Maserati said:
The only thing is - why a 'letter' to 'senior Cycling official', why not just say I saw this and that and did this and that? (of course this could be a way to corroborate the story)
Two guesses - One is to assuage his burden. Confess to the highest order, and the more weight is lifted from what you're carrying. The other is to (believe it or not) help put an end to cycling after seeing the light.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
"Widespread drug use" in the peloton in the years leading up to the 2006 Tour?

In a story with just as much shocking impact, Chris Weber just confirmed that there's widespread pot use in the NBA!

I'm not sure whose more easily dismissable, Chris Weber or Floyd Landis. I actually feel bad for Landis - he's like the guy who gets a ticket for going 59 in a 55 b/c the officer needs to hit his quota.

Edited to add: I understand the story is more that he's breaking the omerta than the fact that riders were doping.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
131313 said:
Yeah, that about nails it. This was actually supposed to come out on Monday, but I think legal wrangling has already begun. The wheels on this were set in motion weeks ago, with supposedly day 1 of the ToC to be d-day. I figured it would never see the light of day, but there are a couple of guys in the bunch who are pretty uptight, to say the least!

Personally I find it really funny. And they can all kiss my a$$.

Yes, It was the real reason Armstrong flew back from Europe a few weeks ago.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Two guesses - One is to assuage his burden. Confess to the highest order, and the more weight is lifted from what you're carrying. The other is to (believe it or not) help put an end to cycling after seeing the light.

isn't that what lemond counseled him to do during their phone conversation 4 years ago?

once again, lemond has proved to be correct and far-sighted.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Yes, it does depend on details, if any. IF he was as thorough as Joe Papp with keep info and taking photos...

Oh, to clarify - what I meant was if FL has decided to tell all then why send in a 'letter to a senior cycling official' - which on its own proves little.
Why not send in direct details implicating certain people or fotos, assuming he has them.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
People never leak sensitive info directly, its always addressed to someone else then leaked to cover themselves. Floyd gets sued by Lance, Floyd says it was not meant to become public

Floyd will make good money out of this. Ha ha, i thought it had been a bit too quiet lately, especially with some amazing performances on the cobbles that have gone completely unquestioned this year.

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
VeloCity said:
The CN subheader says "Letter claims of widespread drug use". If it's legit, this ain't just about Floyd coming clean about his own doping, and surely Floyd knows that just making unsubstantiated accusations won't hold water (not to mention will get him sued, and I think the last thing Floyd is looking for right now is to be sued).

Course, anything about doping at Phonak would hardly be revelatory.

Um, not if Floyd comes clean about his own accounts of using PEDS throughout his professional career. Is Floyd going to sue Floyd?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Oh, to clarify - what I meant was if FL has decided to tell all then why send in a 'letter to a senior cycling official' - which on its own proves little.
Why not send in direct details implicating certain people or fotos, assuming he has them.

Perhaps it was mandated as part of his.....um, well, it will all come out soon enough.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Why would they announce it before confirming sources? That seems journalistically suspect if not down right stupid. I can assure you that there are lawyers springing into action as we speak. Preemptive assessment of the legal ramifications of publishing such a letter? Maybe they want to see who contacts them and what those attorneys have to say? Maybe not so stupid?

You seem to have mistaken the CN crew for real journalists.

On a less snide note: If this letter was indeed from Floyd, and if it is indeed the molotov that most people here are hoping it to be, I bet the see-no-EPO Tour of California organizers are sh!tting themselves silly that they skipped over Bahati's team this year. Americans on American teams getting outed as drug cheats = no more AToC.

Also, if the letter is what it could be, it puts a whole new light on Floyd's snarking on "Team High Horse"...

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Hillavoider said:
People never leak sensitive info directly, its always addressed to someone else then leaked to cover themselves. Floyd gets sued by Lance, Floyd says it was not meant to become public

Floyd will make good money out of this. Ha ha, i thought it had been a bit too quiet lately, especially with some amazing performances on the cobbles that have gone completely unquestioned this year.

Nope. You send the letter to one person and you have "published" it.

Not sure I agree with your leaking theory. Deep throat leaked his information directly to the Washington Post. Daniel Ellsberg leaked the pentagon papers directly to the New York Times.

Dr. Maserati said:

I think part of the problem in the past Is that said cycling officals would never do anything with a letter like this. Hence sending it to media outlets.

Further reports tell me several newspapers have the letter.

Still can't understand why there is jack about it anywhere else.... At the moment.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

If we know much about Floyd it is that he relies on the support of others. That's how he got into cycling and it's doubtful he was thorough with details/documents back then. As I've mentioned (too many times) there were suspicions back in the Motorola days where even Ochowicz's staff were asking what LA was doing to gain size during extended Winter 6 hr rides. They didn't know and I doubt Floyd knows much except what may have been given to him. Without real evidence this will be a press rumor and probably fade away unless Floyd has something to gain from some old, saved genetic material fished out of a dumpster.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
"We are awaiting responses from individuals involved and hope to bring you full details shortly."

This doesn't necessarily say that the people from whom they're awaiting responses are Floyd or the cycling official. It could be responses from people who are named, giving them a chance to have their response in the article, or so CN can add that their phone calls to the manager or whatever weren't returned.

I'm not forgetting the "purported" bit, but again, there are dozens of stories from the two races that won't be posted, so there's no reason for them too put this out there if they aren't pretty sure. This is a way to lt the world know they have it first. And I'll be really surprised if it turns out to generate revenue, unless it turns into a book.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
Nope. You send the letter to one person and you have "published" it.

Not sure I agree with your leaking theory. Deep throat leaked his information directly to the Washington Post. Daniel Ellsberg leaked the pentagon papers directly to the New York Times.

Actually 'Hillavoiders' theory is not bad at all. If Floyd had released 'the letter' himself and exposes the practices of named individuals he could be hit with suits from those individuals.

What I am really interested in is who is the official and for who do they work for.
If those who had the letter failed to act - to protect interested parties - it could blow the sport apart. If heads roll then it could be good for the sport in the medium term.

A

Anonymous

the-end.jpg

Oldman said:
If we know much about Floyd it is that he relies on the support of others. That's how he got into cycling and it's doubtful he was thorough with details/documents back then. As I've mentioned (too many times) there were suspicions back in the Motorola days where even Ochowicz's staff were asking what LA was doing to gain size during extended Winter 6 hr rides. They didn't know and I doubt Floyd knows much except what may have been given to him. Without real evidence this will be a press rumor and probably fade away unless Floyd has something to gain from some old, saved genetic material fished out of a dumpster.

He does have photos of the blood bikes from the Tour in 04.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
"We are awaiting responses from individuals involved and hope to bring you full details shortly."

This doesn't necessarily say that the people from whom they're awaiting responses are Floyd or the cycling official. It could be responses from people who are named, giving them a chance to have their response in the article, or so CN can add that their phone calls to the manager or whatever weren't returned.

I'm not forgetting the "purported" bit, but again, there are dozens of stories from the two races that won't be posted, so there's no reason for them too put this out there if they aren't pretty sure. This is a way to lt the world know they have it first. And I'll be really surprised if it turns out to generate revenue, unless it turns into a book.

No - I don't agree.

If 'the letter' names rider X and CN call rider X then they will probably deny it and say they will open proceedings to withhold CN from releasing the contents of the letter.

I would assume that once whoever had the letter (official or organization) confirm that they received the letter the first step is to see if they confirmed the source of the letter - ie Landis.
If they confirm that it was Landis (or his legal team) who sent it then it will matter little if Landis denies ever sending a letter.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
If those who had the letter failed to act - to protect interested parties - it could blow the sport apart. If heads roll then it could be good for the sport in the medium term.

Maybe that is why it is coming out....because nothing happened when he sent it.

How long ago was he on Larry King defending himself? I didn't hear about that, recently that is.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Maybe that is why it is coming out....because nothing happened when he sent it.

How long ago was he on Larry King defending himself? I didn't hear about that, recently that is.

Couple months ago, it was sad.