• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis letter re drug use in cycling

Page 85 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Landis should milk this while he can.

Why not sell the rights to his story to a game developer? Make one of those frustrating text-based adventures.

Welcome to Leisure Suit Landis

You are in a bright room with an open refrigerator
> get blood bag

The blood bag is empty
> shout I DIDN' DO IT

Muffled laughter comes from outside
> give steroid to cat

The cat scratches a hole through the door. You are free

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
gree0232 said:
Allright, I have watched this for a few days now and have to admit that this has not gone in any direction I would have thought when I first read the story (or at least the possibility thereof). Unfortunately, just skimming the thread, you see those who are conviced Lance is guilty believing anything Landis says and those who believe Lance is innocent who downplay everything Landis says. To put this in proper perspective, I have always viewed Lance's doping allegations as a legal issue. If the proof risen to the point of provable conviction (whether I agree or not) then Lance doped. If it doesn't, having daming it appears, than Lance did not dope. Therefore evidence and court rulings have always mattered more than speculation or even the volume of evidence. THe question is always: Can you get a conviction?

Hopefully, that'll steer off some of the Lance bashers. :rolleyes:

As someone who admired Landis, whether he doped or not the man could definitely ride a bike, I find what is coming out to be alarming on many different levels. First, I am again reminded of Landis inability to handle the press or the politics of cycling. His reaction when he first tested positive after the Tour was bungled and inept, and his attempts to find diverse reasons for the positive couped with a less than professional appearence showed a man that was clearly out of his depth.

We can again see this quality in Landis. The love-hate Lance fest generally focuses on LA doping, but the reality is that Floyd accussed just about everyone. Dave Z? George Hincapie? Allen Lim (WTF?)? Levi? His former managers from Phonak? And even the UCI itself? All of it without proof. We have already had categorical denials from just about every party to the Landis accusation. By the time we turn to Lance and JB's response we are left wondering what the intent is behind all this. If the intent was to be credible, astute, and focus attention on doping or even to just do damage, there would have been no reason to go beyond Lance. There would be no evidence required in accussing Lance and JB, and the suspicion alone would have done damage. Instead, he went, quite literally after the entire system including people whose reputations, even if the accussations are true, are high enough to cast serious doubt of Landis's accussations so long as his word is not backed by proof.

I honestly cannot tell at this stage whether the intent is to caste light on the doping practices in the sport, simple revenge against a once loved system that screwed him, or both? I know the method he chose to air these details, especially given his past, have essentially shreaded his credibility. Perhaps he was hoping that hsi attack would shack loose a few branchs and the branches of evidence would fall from a sufficiently shaken truck?

Instead what we have is a lot, and I mean a lot, of accussations and no proof. However sensational Landis's attack, at the moment nothing he has done rises to the benchmark of a conviction. If the rumors of Landis's emails are true, and we will begin to see these emerge in the coming days, then I think it is time for someone to extend a helping hand to help him work through some very difficult issues.

Whether his accussations are true or not, the methodology he chose to air them castes serious doubt on his own truthfulness. Additionally, by casting such a large net, he has taken a huge risk as any one of them could stand up to take legal action against Landis. Whether true or not, Landis, more than anyone at this point, should understand that there is a system for doping violations and that system cannot produce a conviction based on finger pointing.

I think it is clear, even if the accussations are true, that Floyd is having some serious anger issues as evidenced by the sheer volume and timing of his accussations. Hopefully, there is somoeone out there that can bring Floyd back to the fold so to speak, but as it is, it appears these latest alegations are going to fade in a few weeks time.

The only change?

Floyd is now definitely a doper.

Not good. :cool:

good summation. I think it is only fair to have evidence to back up his story; right now, the lack of evidence or corroboration is more telling to me.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
The LAF has public records. Anyone with interest can pour through them and try to find an anomaly. But in reality there'd be little purpose... there are a lot easier ways to do it.

I would not defend the LAF so passionately if I were you. Someone has been following your suggestion for the last few months and the results are not good.

Race Radio said:
I would not defend the LAF so passionately if I were you. Someone has been following your suggestion for the last few months and the results are not good.

I presume you can't say much. But also presumably this person is someone who can do something about it and not a hobby-investigator?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
barn yard said:
the most interesting thing for me is that this seems like the 1st time the american press are not getting 100% behind captain america

anything to sell more papers in this day when the medium is dying

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
barn yard said:
or his brother?

Maybe it was his sister? Were the twins fraternal or identical?

That *** probably won't come forward because he wants to hang on to his gold. Earth to Tyler, you'll suffer from this "depression" for the rest of your life until you look in the friggen mirror.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
good summation. I think it is only fair to have evidence to back up his story; right now, the lack of evidence or corroboration is more telling to me.

There is evidence of the payoff. Sylvia Schenk, UCI board member and head of it ethics committee said:

Quote:
"Since 1998 the UCI has done a lot to combat doping but everything is different where Armstrong is concerned," she said. "There is obviously a strong relationship with Armstrong. The UCI took a lot of money from Armstrong - to my knowledge $500,000."

There are also other witnesses

Race Radio said:
There is evidence of the payoff. Sylvia Schenk, UCI board member and head of it ethics committee said:

Quote:
"Since 1998 the UCI has done a lot to combat doping but everything is different where Armstrong is concerned," she said. "There is obviously a strong relationship with Armstrong. The UCI took a lot of money from Armstrong - to my knowledge $500,000."

RR, you seem to have a few contacts etc - what's your take on this (the investigation as a whole). Has it a chance of succeeding?

McLaren

BANNED
May 21, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Quote:

But that is already on record. We need somebody to come out and say a dope test was overridden. Otherwise it's useless. So far no witnesses.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
RR, you seem to have a few contacts etc - what's your take on this (the investigation as a whole). Has it a chance of succeeding?

There are so many avenues the investigation can take, Armstrong, Hincapie, the UCI, Lim, Z, The Fed, the French Police, the IOC. Hard to say which avenue will bare fruit but to pretend that there is no evidence and that this is going to go away would be myopic.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Quote:

Regarding the money trail, did the UCI officials put the money into their back pockets or did they use it to say, buy better equiptment ?

Why is FL statement revelatory if there are other witnesses ?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
According to a article I read, FLandis and FDA are making a announcement during the time trial stage at the ToC tomorrow. Forgot the article but its somewhere on the thread. FDA has advised Landis to keep it on the down low about all the information till their press conference. I guess with the leak someone crashed the party eh.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
issoisso said:

Why not sell the rights to his story to a game developer? Make one of those frustrating text-based adventures.

> get blood bag

The blood bag is empty
> shout I DIDN' DO IT

> give steroid to cat

LOL! Hilarious! I know people who can write the code. Let's do it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:

> get blood bag

The blood bag is empty
> shout I DIDN' DO IT

> give steroid to cat

Isn't that Pro Cycling Manager?:D