• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis "retires", done with cycle racing

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Uh, this was the last laugh. Didn't you notice that? :D
Thank you. Feels great. You know what is obnoxious ? Have a look @ some of your clinics' inmates.

Ok I will keep quiet for today and stop putting my finger in wounds.
It's hard enough. lol

lance-armstrong.103013307.jpg

The little kid has clearly inherited the sociopath gene from the look on his face.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
roadfreak44 said:
well stated!!! also how about the revelation that the path his "needing to come clean" to clear his conscience wasnt about him clearing his conscience and accepting responsibility for all the lies he has offered (which set are we supposed to have faith in again?)it was about accusing others of having mislead him. Poor floyd hands tied and keelhauled and no repsonsibility for any of it..
Then there is the business with his current incredibly high priced lawyers being the same incredibly high priced lawyers LEMOND used...wonder where the broke floyd got the $$ for them, GREG?
The needing to "clear his conscience" Landis waitis until the eve of the Tof C to spill the beans...Then he waits again until EXACTLY before the start of the TDF to so the same again...Geez thats some heartfelt conscience the guy has but an excellent strategy to harass everyone and the Tof C and TDF .
Then we are told Landis has filed in fedral offices somewhere to collect a reward if the casse against LA and US postal brought in $$$ for the feds...If that wasnt a strong enough indication fo his character and true motivation in all this now we learn he wore a wire for the feds in the Ball case and once agian is registered to get a reward in thta case ...well obviously landis has already chosen hos new career as a modern day bounty hunter...
Now given this little parade of behaviors what kind fo a fool would hire him? If I owned a team i wouldnt have him in it if he rode for free or even if he was just there to scrub down the bikes at the end of the day. The guy is a proven liar and now via copious evdience a self serving gold digger. trying to reform cycling Floyd? you might want to clean up your own twisted act first.

so you think it's fair the UCI dissed Landis after one positive but let LA win 7 in a row? No it's not fair, and Landis didn't think it was fair either. So he acted accordingly, and did some dissing back himself. What's inhumane about that?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
roadfreak44 said:
well stated!!! also how about the revelation that the path his "needing to come clean" to clear his conscience wasnt about him clearing his conscience and accepting responsibility for all the lies he has offered (which set are we supposed to have faith in again?)it was about accusing others of having mislead him. Poor floyd hands tied and keelhauled and no repsonsibility for any of it.
Floyd has always maintained that he doesn't regret the decisions he made to dope. He takes full responsibility for that, the decision was his.

Then there is the business with his current incredibly high priced lawyers being the same incredibly high priced lawyers LEMOND used...wonder where the broke floyd got the $$ for them, GREG?
I've no idea if Greg is funding Floyd's lawyers, but so what if he is? They both want the truth to come out. It's not going to be pretty no matter who pays for it.

The needing to "clear his conscience" Landis waitis until the eve of the Tof C to spill the beans...Then he waits again until EXACTLY before the start of the TDF to so the same again...Geez thats some heartfelt conscience the guy has but an excellent strategy to harass everyone and the Tof C and TDF .
We don't know exactly who "leaked" the emails prior to the ToC. The Wall St Journal was responsible for the pre-TdF story. But if the point is to actually have an impact on the sport, doesn't it only make sense to create a stir when the media is actually focusing on the race? Disrupting the status quo is kind of the point. As far as "harassing" the TdF? No sympathy for the big boys there.

Then we are told Landis has filed in fedral offices somewhere to collect a reward if the casse against LA and US postal brought in $$$ for the feds...
If Floyd were in it "just for the money" as many speculate, wouldn't it have been a helluva lot easier to just keep his mouth shut, not have spent all his money on legal fees, taken an immediate suspension, and then returned to cycling? I'm guessing Basso's bank account looks pretty good right about now. But then Ivan only "thought" about doping, and we should definitely trust him. And Phil Liggett refers to Bjarne Riis as "a previous winner of the Tour de France!"
The nerve of Floyd for cheating, winning, then lying. :rolleyes:

Why is it that when he decides to break the toxic cycle (there's a loaded term) that he receives the most condemnation? The myth simply no longer holds any appeal for him anymore. Woe to those who still cling.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
roadfreak44 said:
well stated!!! also how about the revelation that the path his "needing to come clean" to clear his conscience wasnt about him clearing his conscience and accepting responsibility for all the lies he has offered (which set are we supposed to have faith in again?)it was about accusing others of having mislead him. Poor floyd hands tied and keelhauled and no repsonsibility for any of it..
The needing to "clear his conscience" Landis waitis until the eve of the Tof C to spill the beans...Then he wai.......... blah blah blah [snip]

We're all very sorry that your hero is a cheater, but it's the reality we live in.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
jae2460 said:
Uhhh, I read the e-mails and they were very much about threatening Armstrong and the Amgen TOC in order to get Landis a job and in a race. Most of the blatant stuff was penned by Dr. Kay, but Landis crossed the line. I bet that Armstrong isn't telling the full truth, but I don't believe that Landis is either--I bet Landis embellished beyond what really happened. How can you believe the guy? I made that mistake once before, for a while; I won't repeat that again.

Really? What was crossing the line? I have read the e-mails on several occassions, but could not find anything that would be considered as blackmail.

Also it is likely that Landis was already working with the Feds before those e-mails were sent

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
Not exactly. Landis went onto the DP forum and posted comments saying he could reveal embarrasing info about Lemond. Landis wore his black tie on the day Lemond was testifying (a change from his yellow one). The night before, when Lemond was prank-called, it was Landis and Geoghegan at the table (Geoghegan making the call). When Lemond testified about the phone call, it was Landis's lawyer Suh who turned to Geoghegan and said "you're fired."

Not exactly that either. Floyd said something loosely along the lines of ---if Greg wants to make this a race to the bottom he could surely add to that race to the bottom. I do believe that the phone call was made without Floyd’s order. Maybe we should ask him? I am sure he is around.....

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Landis: "What is person supposed to do when he makes the wrong decision? Are you committed to that path for good? Once you've lied, are you committed to tell that lie forever?"

Landis could get a job as a spokesman for Sahrah Palin and the T-Pary.

Who is this T Pary your posting about? Tyler Parry?

Glenn_Wilson said:
Not exactly that either. Floyd said something loosely along the lines of ---if Greg wants to make this a race to the bottom he could surely add to that race to the bottom. I do believe that the phone call was made without Floyd’s order. Maybe we should ask him? I am sure he is around.....

Good idea, lets ask Landis what really happened.
After that im going to give Armstrong a call and ask him to tell the truth too.

These two upstanding citizens should be very forthcoming....

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Thanks for clarifying this Kennf1. Don't want to dwell on it, but the history on this should not be rewritten.

Landis was sitting beside Will Geoghegan when he made the call. Geoghegan was not his lawyer, but his friend and manager. It is unclear both whether Landis approved of the call beforehand, or how Geoghegan managed to get Lemond's number (from Floyd presumably).

Landis was aware of the call before LeMond testified about it, and before Suh took action. The impression was that neither had advised Suh.

I believe that Will (also) made threats on DPF. There was a request for DPF posts/records from the attorneys.

Dave.

Was it public knowledge that there was a request for server info / archives from the lawyers to DPF?

I believe the phone call was made and then Will told Floyd about it after the fact. Or that was the information given after the fact. I also remember that it was a shock to Suh at the trial and it appeared he had no knowledge of the phone call.

I thought all those posts were deleted when the server issues happened during that time?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
andy1234 said:
Good idea, lets ask Landis what really happened.
After that im going to give Armstrong a call and ask him to tell the truth too.

These two upstanding citizens should be very forthcoming....

I am so glad you agree with my post. :D

BTW Floyd was on a message board posting before. Not here at the CN but another cycling site. Hang around and he may be @ the CN forums, who knows but it is probably a good bet that he is reading.;)

Not sure how germane this is to the discussion, but if there is any doubt in one's mind about the threats, let me be clear. I was a member of the DPF at the time, I vividly recall Landis' threats RE: LeMond. They were striking and my feeling was that they were sinister. I stopped going to the DPF not too long after that, as it became a cesspool of arguments about Landis and little else.

Very questionable management of that forum.

The post about LeMond did happen, as a matter of fact.

In that case, as it has/is/will in the Armstrong case, the facts will overcome the lies and all the noise and nonsense disputing the fact of Armstrong's doping will die down when the truth comes out, however it does. It's happening now and will wrap up with finality in the next year or two. It's over for him, he's dead man walking.

Anyone who has been watching cycling long enough has seen this cycle play out over, and over, and over again.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Not sure how germane this is to the discussion, but if there is any doubt in one's mind about the threats, let me be clear. I was a member of the DPF at the time, I vividly recall Landis' threats RE: LeMond. They were striking and my feeling was that they were sinister. I stopped going to the DPF not too long after that, as it became a cesspool of arguments about Landis and little else.

This was the one that got a lot of attention:
Landis: Unfortunately, the facts that he divulged to me in the hour which he spoke and gave no opportunity for me to do the same, would damage his character severely and I would rather not do what has been done to me. However, if he ever opens his mouth again and the word Floyd comes out, I will tell you all some things that you will wish you didn't know and unfortunately I will have entered the race to the bottom which is now in progress. For the record, I don't know Greg, and have no more respect for Greg than I have for people who go through life blaming others for all of their problems. You are not a victim of others Greg, you are a pathetic human who believes that if others didn't cheat (not sure about you) you would be the President and all the peasants would bow to your command. Join reality with the rest of us who win some and lose some and keep on smiling. ...

Funny what the passage of time will bring.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Landis: "What is person supposed to do when he makes the wrong decision? Are you committed to that path for good? Once you've lied, are you committed to tell that lie forever?"

Landis could get a job as a spokesman for Sahrah Palin and the T-Pary.

No.

But you always have that lie on your record.

If someone who say... committed robbery for 5 years gave that up and started doing charity work... that would be good.

But it doesn't change the fact they were a robber for 5 years. That doesn't disappear. We shouldn't celebrate their charity work and ignore the fact they were a robber.

That might be a crappy analogy... but I think it's good enough to make the point. While we want everyone to change their behavior if they're behaving badly, doing so doesn't turn them into a good guy or erase their bad behavior.

Is Landis better then Lance? Yeah, I'll buy that I guess.

Is he a good guy?

No, I really don't think so.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:

Very questionable management of that forum.

In that case, as it has/is/will in the Armstrong case, the facts will overcome the lies and all the noise and nonsense disputing the fact of Armstrong's doping will die down when the truth comes out, however it does. It's happening now and will wrap up with finality in the next year or two. It's over for him, he's dead man walking.

Anyone who has been watching cycling long enough has seen this cycle play out over, and over, and over again.

simple math says you are wrong. All the biggest promoters,races,UCI are all on Lance's side. Volumes of paperwork that say that his urine and blood are wo banned substances. He was exposed to the passport program and was observered and tested to be clean(or clean enough) the entire cycling industry has to be convicted for Armstrong to fold. If you have observed many "cycle plays" the villian is caught after a short time and normally with a smoking gun..(an A gun and a B gun with ammo found in his or her freezer or house). the complex series of events surrounding LA are indeed convincing. But the withdrawl of Landis from any kind of cycling and what would appear a dribble of a revenue stream make him the weakest link. Just like Barry Bonds..most of the "facts" turn out to be not fit for the courtroom. The cycle play ,will play out and the evil will be revealed..and yes Armstrong may be evil to some degree..the process will kill Landis..if the whistleblower laws are changed even slightly he will will be countered for damages by an Armstrong army that will make Abu Ghraib look like a daycamp. Landis is starting to get the picture that the winner writes history..or the final act in any cycle plays. How will Landis rebut the 100's of neg test result for LA? Maybe he needs Chris Angel as legal counsel . A super ugly Armstrong trait is the kick while down thing which Landis will feel with full force.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
I am so glad you agree with my post. :D

BTW Floyd was on a message board posting before. Not here at the CN but another cycling site. Hang around and he may be @ the CN forums, who knows but it is probably a good bet that he is reading.;)

Where VELONEWS?

2akiq92.jpg

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Goodbye and Good riddance Floyd!

If Floyd truly wanted to clean up Cycling he would have never pointed fingers. He lost his credibility and he stole money from supporters to his defense. How are you going to pay them back now Floyd?? You have no job and no skill set aside from being a decent rider who lied and cheated before and after your prime. Even if you were telling the truth you should have detailed how you cheated at Postal and Phonak and discussed the doping lifestyle and how the factors turned you into a liar and a cheat. If you did not point fingers and you expressed regret as to the circumstances that led you down the negative spiral you would have gotten more support and the people would come to their own conclusion as to the others without vilifying yourself. SO thus far if you had never been caught cheating you would never have confessed and would be enjoying the fruits of your lies... So now you have nothing... you damaged cycling and you are left with nothing but a tainted legacy. Even if you all you now say is true I will have no better opinion of you than what I have now. Do yourself a favor and stay retired and quiet. Maybe then can you truly forgive yourself and truly regain some credence

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
simple math says you are wrong. All the biggest promoters,races,UCI are all on Lance's side. Volumes of paperwork that say that his urine and blood are wo banned substances. He was exposed to the passport program and was observered and tested to be clean(or clean enough) the entire cycling industry has to be convicted for Armstrong to fold. If you have observed many "cycle plays" the villian is caught after a short time and normally with a smoking gun..(an A gun and a B gun with ammo found in his or her freezer or house). the complex series of events surrounding LA are indeed convincing. But the withdrawl of Landis from any kind of cycling and what would appear a dribble of a revenue stream make him the weakest link. Just like Barry Bonds..most of the "facts" turn out to be not fit for the courtroom. The cycle play ,will play out and the evil will be revealed..and yes Armstrong may be evil to some degree..the process will kill Landis..if the whistleblower laws are changed even slightly he will will be countered for damages by an Armstrong army that will make Abu Ghraib look like a daycamp. Landis is starting to get the picture that the winner writes history..or the final act in any cycle plays. How will Landis rebut the 100's of neg test result for LA? Maybe he needs Chris Angel as legal counsel . A super ugly Armstrong trait is the kick while down thing which Landis will feel with full force.
Time will tell if Landis is vindicated or not. Armstrong may be able to point to a multitude of negative tests, but there are also the 1999 EPO positives coupled with the payment to the UCI and its clumsy cover-up with the Vrijman report. In addition to this is the evidence gleaned as a result of the Federal investigation that we have yet to truly hear about, as opposed to the innuendo & rumour we've had so far.

All in all Armstrong is far from home free. Landis, the press & other organisations have to tread carefully as they risk being sued if they overstep the mark. The federal authorities are much tougher and have much bigger guns to train on him, not to mention far deeper pockets.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
what the feds will probably uncover is a paper trail and eyewitness accounts to the purchasing of PEDs in large quantities and that will hang uniballer for administering and trafficking illegal substances across borders, plus hopefully fraud....which then might possibly lead to every sponsor that put a buck in his pocket to suing for their money back....lets wait and see:)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
fatandfast said:

Really? That is not very smart for the “Armstrong Army” to physically torture Floyd. Is the “Armstrong Army” going to my Floyd the top person on the naked human pyramid? Or does he have to wear a burlap sack over his head?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Madoneguy said:
If Floyd truly wanted to clean up Cycling he would have never pointed fingers. He lost his credibility and he stole money from supporters to his defense. How are you going to pay them back now Floyd?? You have no job and no skill set aside from being a decent rider who lied and cheated before and after your prime. Even if you were telling the truth you should have detailed how you cheated at Postal and Phonak and discussed the doping lifestyle and how the factors turned you into a liar and a cheat. If you did not point fingers and you expressed regret as to the circumstances that led you down the negative spiral you would have gotten more support and the people would come to their own conclusion as to the others without vilifying yourself. SO thus far if you had never been caught cheating you would never have confessed and would be enjoying the fruits of your lies... So now you have nothing... you damaged cycling and you are left with nothing but a tainted legacy. Even if you all you now say is true I will have no better opinion of you than what I have now. Do yourself a favor and stay retired and quiet. Maybe then can you truly forgive yourself and truly regain some credence

so you dont point at the dirt while cleaning, you hope it goes by itself....oh trolling hey, not what it used to be, subtle, now we have outright idiocy these days.....still always good for a giggle.:D

TRENDING THREADS