• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lars Boom busted?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2010
Visit site
oh, and the obvious: It's not possible to look worse than Astana when it comes to anti-doping. Looking better than them isn't an achivement.

Re: Re:

Hugh Januss said:
The Hitch said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
RedheadDane said:
Have a bit of a question that doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not Boom rides.
How exactly does too low cortisole levels indicate possible doping? In most cases doping is shown by having too much of something in your blood.
it doesn't but this is the clinic. if they see a rider taking a dump they think he's trying to hide his epo
Maybe. But I don't even want to think about what you would do if you saw a Colombian rider take a dump :eek:
If you ask me a rider taking a dump where we can see him is not hiding anything.
Sagan_ParisRoubaix_2015_CORVOS.jpg

pr-sag.jpg

Benotti69 said:
Hugh Januss said:
franic said:
Eagle said:
How many teams are left in MPCC now? 3 gone in the last 2 months

The real issue is to know how many of them are actually following MPCC guidelines... I guess very few, and among them teams like Vini Fantini unable to win anything
What are the MPCC guidelines other than "look clean"?

This, 'look clean'. That is all it ever was, JV's idea that teams could do their own internal testing to make sure riders didn't test positive and if they did they got a slap on the wrist for being silly. Apart from that it is just another 'club', more PR to try and sell the sport as 'cleaning up it's act'. Sadly it will take burning down the sport, at this stage, before it will be clean.
Having said that it has exposed riders to low cortisol levels! huh!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

mrhender said:
sniper said:
jeezus, astana still don't have their internal testing sorted out?

Cookson just revealed that night time testing has taken place...

Maybe Boom suffered from a late night CADF visit, exposing the low cortisol values?
cheers, interesting about the night testing

I cant be upset about this. Au contraire actually. Vino once again proves just how toothless the official bodies are and for the second time running UCI are sidlined and just stands there and do nothing. The onus are on them to strike but after multiple chances to act NOTHING happens, meanwhile Vino flippin the bird in Cooksons face again and again.

This is the true nature of cycling we are witnessing and im so hoping for a alien Tour by Astana. What a colossal failure by the joke Cookson that would be.

There's several layers of hypocrisy here. First of all, pretending to be clean is exactly what Astana is doing - they're in the MPCC, unlike many of those other teams that are also quite loud about their cleanliness, after all. They joined the MPCC as a free PR boost to look good, as nothing but posturing, and are going to quit the instant it requires any sacrifice from them. That's hugely hypocritical of Astana.

But those other teams that didn't join the MPCC do proclaim their cleanliness too, some of them quite loudly. It is very hypocritical of them to claim they'll do anything for clean sport and then stay away from the MPCC - if they thought the MPCC is flawed for some reason, they could easily have started their own thang with stricter standards.

However, at the end of the day, there's a lot to say for pretending to be clean. That's one of my problems with Spanish cycling - the fact that they don't feel they need to pretend to be clean says a lot about its doping culture, in that, if they don't even perceive it as a PR problem, that means they're that much farther from perceiving it as a real problem in itself. In other words, I see this hypocritical stage as unavoidable and necessary to go forward. This, of course, doesn't mean those teams are willing or likely to push forward with antidoping, merely that you have to go through this phase to drag those teams kicking and screaming into a different one.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
"the UCI said no because you can't change a rider after the directeur sportif meeting (when rider names and numbers are confirmed). The meeting was held at 10:30 on Friday, the rider analysis arrived at 2:30pm"

That is what you get when committees consist of people having reached their level of incompetence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

I am siding with Astana 100%. If this bunch of (certainly well) paid functionaries can´t get their act together it isn´t the mistake of Astana.
I mean not even the Neanderthals at FIFA would let a team start a tournament with one player less than the whole opposition because rules and timelines contradict common sense...

Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
"the UCI said no because you can't change a rider after the directeur sportif meeting (when rider names and numbers are confirmed). The meeting was held at 10:30 on Friday, the rider analysis arrived at 2:30pm"

That is what you get when committees consist of people having reached their level of incompetence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

I am siding with Astana 100%. If this bunch of (certainly well) paid functionaries can´t get their act together it isn´t the mistake of Astana.
I mean not even the Neanderthals at FIFA would let a team start a tournament with one player less than the whole opposition because rules and timelines contradict common sense...

I agree with foxxy. Until the riders actually turn a pedal in the race, teams should be able to sub. Doping aside, what if some poor guy wakes up with a 102 temperature on the morning of the prologue/first stage? The team should be able to replace that rider. Plus, if rider safety is the concern, how safe is it for that rider to push on?

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Re:

mrhender said:
The question could be if Astana as part of their "probation" licence and ISSUL audit are required to/have agreed to adhere MPCC rules...
If so, then leaving the MPCC could have consequenses?

Are we witnessing a Cookson pawn move?

Haha.. That would be kind of cool.

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Unintentional (or maybe not) funny on the coverage. Kirby saying over and over, "This isn't doping, this is for his health."

Where have I heard/read that before?

Re:

hrotha said:
There's several layers of hypocrisy here. First of all, pretending to be clean is exactly what Astana is doing - they're in the MPCC, unlike many of those other teams that are also quite loud about their cleanliness, after all. They joined the MPCC as a free PR boost to look good, as nothing but posturing, and are going to quit the instant it requires any sacrifice from them. That's hugely hypocritical of Astana.

But those other teams that didn't join the MPCC do proclaim their cleanliness too, some of them quite loudly. It is very hypocritical of them to claim they'll do anything for clean sport and then stay away from the MPCC - if they thought the MPCC is flawed for some reason, they could easily have started their own thang with stricter standards.

However, at the end of the day, there's a lot to say for pretending to be clean. That's one of my problems with Spanish cycling - the fact that they don't feel they need to pretend to be clean says a lot about its doping culture, in that, if they don't even perceive it as a PR problem, that means they're that much farther from perceiving it as a real problem in itself. In other words, I see this hypocritical stage as unavoidable and necessary to go forward. This, of course, doesn't mean those teams are willing or likely to push forward with antidoping, merely that you have to go through this phase to drag those teams kicking and screaming into a different one.

Good post. Bolded part is spot on.

Then again, what do we expect, this is Vino we are talking about. They guy is like a modern Bjarne Riis..