• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Laurens Ten Dam Tweet TDF 2011

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Was just going over a few old tweets & spotted this by Laurens Ten Dam in the Tour this year, "Sleep was pretty deep last night.Chaperons hand is blue like a fighter after boxing match.Took him 20 minutes to wake me up for control! "
Hmmm am i turning into a Clinic cynic like the rest of you or have i just started a chin stroking thread which i have no right to at all? The morning in question was the one after the 211 km stage to Luz Ardiden. If your that tired with another mountain stage why Tweet about not answering the door to the Doping controllers for 20 minutes????

I have trouble believing Ten Dam or anyone would make a tweet about delaying the test 20 minutes on purpose to avoid testing positive. That said, the chaperon should never have to wait 20 minutes. If he can't get the rider to open the door, he should notify the DS or whoever and tell them if they don't wake up the rider by whatever means it'll be a missed test.

Coming with an explicatory statement before the rumor gets out is more often seen, isn't it?

Let's say Rider X would want to stall a test to do some masking. What would he be wanting to do? Armstrong took an unhurried shower as we all remember. Most of the water may have gone to his stomach. Or maybe he had special shampoo.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Coming with an explicatory statement before the rumor gets out is more often seen, isn't it?

I know it is very easy to get cynical in the Clinic, but have any of the posters actually RACED a stage race?

From my own first-hand experience in six or eight-day stage races, often I was so sore and fatigued I could not sleep well until late, often 3AM when I got to sleep - NOBODY could wake me by banging on the door, until my alarm went off for breakfast (as late as possible, PLEASE...)

I agree, the Tester should have called the hotel management after 5 or 10 minutes, requesting the master key to open his room.

Maybe the tweet was sent out as a bit of off-beat humour - I can see a certain humour in it, with the chaperone beating his hand to pulp on the door. :D

Isn't the whole rest of the floor awake when a tester truly tries to wake up a guest that won't wake up? Try for a few minutes quietly, then let yourself in. If only for reason of worry of the rider's wellbeing. 10 minutes is too long. A team doc that can't get a response when he just happens to come by, knowing for sure the rider is in there, might even not be so "patient' and kick in the door.

And let's by all means not forget he may have exaggerated the amount of time it took him to wake up by way of prozaic (/peotic) license and as hyperbole.

In short - I wouldn't read too much in the tweet itself.

Regards
GJ

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I made the original post here & i also just want to say that i am not accusing Ten Dam of doping or anything ( i also like the guy a lot btw). If by any chance he is reading this or any cyclist then they need to be careful what they say sometimes. I thought it would be interesting to get a few viewpoints on the Tweet as at the time i remember thinking "hmmmm that doesnt sound right".
However its also interesting to see who tried to crush him straight away here & those who went down the fairness route & looked at the various possibilities!! I actually feel a bit daft now for even bringing it up!!!
Anyway Ten Dam's alright in my book. Maybe a bit of Dutch humour being misconstrued.

Kerbdog said:
I made the original post here & i also just want to say that i am not accusing Ten Dam of doping or anything ( i also like the guy a lot btw). If by any chance he is reading this or any cyclist then they need to be careful what they say sometimes. I thought it would be interesting to get a few viewpoints on the Tweet as at the time i remember thinking "hmmmm that doesnt sound right".
However its also interesting to see who tried to crush him straight away here & those who went down the fairness route & looked at the various possibilities!! I actually feel a bit daft now for even bringing it up!!!
Anyway Ten Dam's alright in my book. Maybe a bit of Dutch humour being misconstrued.

I feel the same. And I'm Dutch too.
After the whole 'tude against a tester and just taking a long shower' incident, riders just need to be careful. It's also about being respectful towards the anti-doping system. It's fun to kid about it, as with every part of everyday life, but perhaps not very wise if you're a rider. Especially not if you're a (rare) clean one.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Laurens_Ten_Dam_894933p.jpg

That night the bandage was over his ears too.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
I feel the same. And I'm Dutch too.
After the whole 'tude against a tester and just taking a long shower' incident, riders just need to be careful. It's also about being respectful towards the anti-doping system. It's fun to kid about it, as with every part of everyday life, but perhaps not very wise if you're a rider. Especially not if you're a (rare) clean one.

Bingo...

Also, not only respect towards the anti-doping system, but also towards those who ultimately pay the rider's bills, that would be the fans, who want to know their beloved rider is actually riding clean.
(p.s. that's a more general comment, directed more to guys like Contador and Armstrong, who've been fooling the audience for years.)

TRENDING THREADS