• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Samyn 2016 (1.1)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
Clipboard_zpsqeettjxk.jpg

Some really good young talent there.

Re: Re:

JRanton said:
TMP402 said:
Strong as Terpstra is, he's also 32 this year. Time for EQS to sign Thwaites? :rolleyes:

On a serious note, you'd imagine Sky will be keeping an eye on him. He's stronger than quite a few of Sky's cobble classics line-up.

And so far McLay seems like a lot like Andrew Fenn: junior track talent, podium of Paris-Roubaix espoirs aged 18, spend time with non-Anglo and lower division teams, take a few early wins as sprinters before ultimately switching their focus to the cobbles. How successful either is at the last part remains to be seen

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Groenewegen is quite fast in a bunch sprint, right? He could become dangerous in cobbled races if he improves his endurance even more.
In fact he is an sprinter, he won in a bunch sprint in Valencia against Bouhanni. And yes, i believe he could be dangerous for the cobbles races in the future, in 2014 he won the Ronde van Vlaanderen Beloften, one year before he was second in the same race.

Shame I couldn't see it, allthough it was easy for Terpstra to get rid of them.

Also nice post about that he should be satisfied now and ready to help his teammates. Sorry, but this is Samyn and your talking to Terpstra who won P-R, was 2nd in RvV and showed plenty of great rides in the cobbled races that matter. Ofcourse he won't sacrifice his own chances after he won Samyn.

Also really good to see all this talent in the top 10. First of all they showed great willpower by finishing this race which was abandoned by pretty much every other rider and 2nd of all they simply did great.
Special mention to Vliegen who had a heart operation in October/November a few months after BMC promoted him to their WT team. See this for more: http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/144640/loic-vliegen-ik-ben-gigantisch-verbeterd.html

Thwaites is doing great on the cobbles so far. He's going to get a nice team next year, that's for sure.

Kwibus said:
Also nice post about that he should be satisfied now and ready to help his teammates. Sorry, but this is Samyn and your talking to Terpstra who won P-R, was 2nd in RvV and showed plenty of great rides in the cobbled races that matter. Ofcourse he won't sacrifice his own chances after he won Samyn.

THIS! He has proven time and time again that he is one of the best cobbled riders of the last few years. He doesn't need to sacrifice his own chances for anyone. He already was on the podium of 3 monuments, Top 6 on six occasians. If there is a group, sure he could help Boonen, but even than it won't be a sure win anymore with Degenkolb, Sagan or Kristoff. I honestly think that Niki ist EQS's best shot at winning big in the north. They should work for him and not the other way around.

Akuryo said:
Kwibus said:

THIS! He has proven time and time again that he is one of the best cobbled riders of the last few years. He doesn't need to sacrifice his own chances for anyone. He already was on the podium of 3 monuments, Top 6 on six occasians. If there is a group, sure he could help Boonen, but even than it won't be a sure win anymore with Degenkolb, Sagan or Kristoff. I honestly think that Niki ist EQS's best shot at winning big in the north. They should work for him and not the other way around.

I also agree. Niki is their best shot, along with possibly Stybar. He's won Roubaix, ffs. He's certainly not going to be sated by winning Le Samyn.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Norbea said:
Nice race. Terpstra to strong. Looked like Bystrøm didn´t quite have the legs today to follow, but good effort.

I watched the last 10km. Terpstra looks like he's carrying more muscle mass to me? Did anyone else think that?

Or it could be just the poor lighting.

Akuryo said:
Kwibus said:

If there is a group then he must attack actually. Just like the way he won Roubaix.
Boonen just has to follow wheels in those occasions. Let the other sprinters chase.