• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour 2018 stage 13: Bourg d'Oisans > Valence 169,5 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is going to win the stage?

• Peter Sagan

Votes: 45 60.8%
  • Arnaud Demare

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Alexander Kristoff

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • John Degenkolb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sonny Colbrelli

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Christophe Laporte

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Geraint Thomas

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Edvald Boasson Hagen

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 8 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I wonder if Sagan will try to win it from the break. Might be easier for him to do it that way (especially if he can get a teammate in as well) than to have Bora chasing all day.

This will come down to a sprint - Still teams who have sprinters - Bora with Sagan, FDJ with Demare, Bahrain with Colbrelli and that's not including teams like Quick Step or Mitchelton Scott or Cofidis etc. Stage 14 and 15 could be breakaway days.

Feb 25, 2018
Visit site
Hard to predict an outcome. It could end in a sprint or if the break is big and strong it will hold on. It will be interesting if QS will do the chase for Richeze or just let the stage develop on its own. Bora and Sagan do not have to go all in for this as they already have 2 stage wins and the green is pretty much secured. Sagan may take it as a rest day and just focus to win in Paris. However if it comes down to a sprint he is the biggest favorite. I do not believe that Kristoff, Demare or Degenkolb can beat him here.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Robert5091 said:
If you like roundabouts, you'll love the finish -

stage-13-finish.jpg
Is there a roundabout with 300m to go?! :surprised:

May 19, 2017
Visit site
By the way. How good a sprinter is Greipels lead-out man Jasper de Buyst? Could he aim for a top 5-10 now that so many sprinters DNF? (If he doesn't go in the break, that is).

Certainly will be a strong chase - Bora in particular assuming Sagan waits. But then it should also be a powerful break where you think it would be dominated by rouleurs from QST, BMC, MTS. So could be a good match. Even if the break is caught it could leave the sprinter teams with nothing much left to chase a late attack

On paper it looks easier for Sagan to win from the peloton. He's the best sprinter left. But Sagan doesn't always play the percentages so not out of the question he will go in the break with a couple of teammates, knowing that if the break gets caught he probably still has a chance to win against Demare and Kristoff

Re:

Anderis said:
Sagan in a breakaway on a stage like this?

Nobody would work with him to stay away.

If they would get away with him in the group, then what they gonna do? Just stop riding because he is there?

They just gonna have to attack in the last 10-20 km to try and loose him before the finish. Make him chase down the attacks until he is spent etc.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Eyeballs Out said:
Anderis said:

Pick your poison. If you're a breakaway rider do you want Sagan in the break or do you want Bodnar, Burghardt, Postlberger and Oss chasing ?
Exactly. Much better to have him alone than with his team. He knows it. That's why he's not going to be in the breakaway

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
the question will be, if Bora (Sagan), FDJ (Démare) and UAE (Kristoff) will be willing and able to control this .... if I were Bora's TD I would like to have someone like Bodnar in the break (not Sagan, no one will be willing to cooperate)

loge1884 said:
the question will be, if Bora (Sagan), FDJ (Démare) and UAE (Kristoff) will be willing and able to control this .... if I were Bora's TD I would like to have someone like Bodnar in the break (not Sagan, no one will be willing to cooperate)

Bora also dont have to really work unless they really want to... Sagan already has two stages and a big lead in Points Classification

FDJ and UAE gonna have to do the majority of the work is my guess to bring it back

Re:

Anderis said:

actually, there are some that would go to break with him. Gilbert, Terpstra, GvA wouldn't be very afraid of him. With the last 3 stages behind, the flat stage would be much closer in toughness to long one day races, so in the end, we could see something like MSR or Flanders. Multiple attacks in the final 30kms and of course at that point, nobody would cooperate with Sagan. So indeed, as noted by somebody else, if Sagan has not 1 or 2 teammates in the break, he should not go into it.
The advantage for sagan is, that he's able make a late jump into the break( I think that's why he's able to get into so many breaks), so if there is some break with his teammates, he will attempt to jump on it.

EDIT: of course, in comparison I meant in the style of racing and late attacks that could actually stick, not the parcours