• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leading GB cyclist tests positive (yikes)!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
chavito said:
Hopefully it's isolated and not OGE. Feel bad for Adam if he was clean

Copy/Paste from a reddit.com post

There have been whispers among amateurs for at least a decade that Shayne Bannan was doping kids at the AIS. He's the manager.
The doctor is Manuel Rodriguez. Formerly Quickstep, ONCE and Mapei.
Their hiring policy includes names knee-deep in the Puerto scandal like Plaza and old dopers like Danielle Nardello, Matt White, Neil Stephens, Lorenzo Lapage or Stuey. Few teams have such a collection of positive tests and admitted dopers on staff.
Yeah I try to blindly ignore that... Can't say it looks good but hoping as many riders escape clean.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

GuyIncognito said:
Gloin22 said:
GuyIncognito said:
chavito said:

There have been whispers among amateurs for at least a decade that Shayne Bannan was doping kids at the AIS. He's the manager.
Their hiring policy includes names knee-deep in the Puerto scandal like Plaza and old dopers like Danielle Nardello, Matt White, Neil Stephens, Lorenzo Lapage or Stuey. Few teams have such a collection of positive tests and admitted dopers on staff.

Everyone that works in cycling and rode in 1990s and 2000s is related to doping. Does it really matter?

Almost some DSs in every WT team will have connection to doping.

Yes it matters.
First things first, you have millions of doctors on the planet, why specifically hire a hematologist with experience of 1990s cycling?

Because they have experience in marginal gains. :D

On another hand, is there any WT team that has fully clean doctors not connected with cycling's past?

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

GuyIncognito said:
chavito said:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29554&hilit=Australian+institute+for+sport

samhocking said:
I say they'll be Pro Continental after Orica's sponsorship expires and Cycling Australia will sever all ties too. One of the newest teams too. At least they left MPCC last year lol!

Orica's in it for the positive PR, not for the name recognition (unless you count industrial explosives as a consumer industry). At what point does that backfire? Will Gerry Ryan ever pull out?

Cannibal72 said:
GuyIncognito said:
chavito said:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29554&hilit=Australian+institute+for+sport

samhocking said:
I say they'll be Pro Continental after Orica's sponsorship expires and Cycling Australia will sever all ties too. One of the newest teams too. At least they left MPCC last year lol!

Orica's in it for the positive PR, not for the name recognition (unless you count industrial explosives as a consumer industry). At what point does that backfire? Will Gerry Ryan ever pull out?

Of course he will. he's not using his own money Stapleton-style is he. The close relationship with Cycling Australia is the bigger issue in my opinion.

Zinoviev Letter said:
The Hitch said:
This the same public that worships David Millar?

A key part of the narrative used by riders who have successfully been embraced as reformed crusaders is that they fell victim to temptation during the bad old days when everyone is at it. That narrative isn't viable for British riders at the moment because it means declaring that the bad old days never ended and, therefore, that British successes came during the bad old days.

Edited to add: Beaten to it by Cannibal72!

If the point is a time one- that doping is less accepted now, ok I understand. I thought the op was suggesting that brits actually are harder on dopers than other countries, which is what Wiggins tried to sell before, and imo a baseless one.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
You can't blame Dailymail for this, any paper that would get such leak would have went with that story.

Anyway I think it's clear to see Orica tried to keep this totally secret and resolve it all quietly, but someone leaked it. Their statement was out pretty fast.

Re:

Gloin22 said:
You can't blame Dailymail for this, any paper that would get such leak would have went with that story.

Anyway I think it's clear to see Orica tried to keep this totally secret and resolve it all quietly, but someone leaked it. Their statement was out pretty fast.

Well, yes. You also have a statement ready when doping riders. Just like Heano.

thehog said:
Gloin22 said:

Fix that spelling. Poor Phil Liggett is sitting at home reading this thinking 'Why is he talking about Bernard Heano?"

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Gloin22 said:

Nah, it's typical Daily Mail stirring. No other paper would run the story as there isn't one. I'm just annoyed that I opened their link and half-read it.

You're dead right about Orica though - took them how long, not even an hour?!

thehog said:
Gloin22 said:

is Henao a GB cyclist?
joking!
:D
I missed you in the last hour
good night Hog

samhocking said:
laurensde+ said:
Standard Daily Hatemail bs then. Phew.
What else do you expect? There's never any substance to anything in that paper. They grab a quote out of context and blow it up to create a news story, just like what they're trying to do with BC & Sutton at the moment.
Did you come accross the story that the bike shop where Shane Sutton was living was selling the Sky gear that went missing?

Or you going to find a way to discredit that too?

laurensde+ said:
Gloin22 said:

Nah, it's typical Daily Mail stirring. No other paper would run the story as there isn't one. I'm just annoyed that I opened their link and half-read it.

You're dead right about Orica though - took them how long, not even an hour?!

So when Ulissi tested positive at the Giro it was a non-story?

Lampre-Merida has revealed that Diego Ulissi, winner of two stages at last month’s Giro d’Italia, has been notified by the UCI of an adverse analytical finding for an excessive amount of the anti-asthma drug salbutamol during the race. Both the rider and his team have questioned the amount of the substance found.

The 24-year-old from Tuscany, who won the fifth and eighth stages of the three-week race, was found to have 1900 ng/ml of salbutamol in his urine, nearly twice the maximum permitted level of 1000 ng/ml.

The Italian WorldTour team pointed out that prior to the samples being taken un the test at the end of Stage 11 in Savona, the rider followed correct procedures in notifying the testers of the medication he had taken that day.

In a statement, it said: “It is important to point out that Diego Ulissi, accompanied by Dr. Carlo Guardascione (head team doctor) had declared in his statement taken prior to the anti-doping control, the assumption before the race of Ventolin (2 puffs, equivalent to 100 ng of salbutamol each) and paracetamol during the race, the latter given by the race doctor due to the crash which occurred during the stage in which he had been involved with many other athletes.

http://road.cc/content/news/121839-giro-stage-winner-ulissi-tests-positive-excessive-amount-anti-asthma-drug

laurensde+ said:
Nah, it's typical Daily Mail stirring. No other paper would run the story as there isn't one.

How is a young British star getting an adverse finding not a story? Just because Orica seem to have expected that the authorities would grant him a retrospective tue or deal with the issue secretly in some other way doesn't mean that there's no story here.

In fact, Orica's apparent expectation that this would simply be dealt with secretly seems to me to be a story in itself.

The Hitch said:
samhocking said:
laurensde+ said:
Standard Daily Hatemail bs then. Phew.
What else do you expect? There's never any substance to anything in that paper. They grab a quote out of context and blow it up to create a news story, just like what they're trying to do with BC & Sutton at the moment.
Did you come accross the story that the bike shop where Shane Sutton was living was selling the Sky gear that went missing?

Or you going to find a way to discredit that too?

Not Sky kit but Team GB kit paid for by the tax payer :eek:

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Funny how these days majority of the peloton is on some kind of Asthma or Thyroid medication ... professional athletes, yet all of them so sick and in need of meds :cool: