• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leading GB cyclist tests positive (yikes)!

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Jancouver said:
Funny how these days majority of the peloton is on some kind of Asthma or Thyroid medication ... professional athletes, yet all of them so sick and in need of meds :cool:

I think this says it all..... NFW.. :cool:

70gyzc.jpg

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
laurensde+ said:
Nah, it's typical Daily Mail stirring. No other paper would run the story as there isn't one.

How is a young British star getting an adverse finding not a story? Just because Orica seem to have expected that the authorities would grant him a retrospective tue or deal with the issue secretly in some other way doesn't mean that there's no story here.

In fact, Orica's apparent expectation that this would simply be dealt with secretly seems to me to be a story in itself.

'Orica in paperwork ***-up' is not a story worth running. It really isn't.

Irondan said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
I'll be interested to see if OGE claim that Yates had just been diagnosed with asthma when he was prescribed terbutaline. And if not, had be previously been issued tues for asthma medication.
Seems like they all have asthma, well the big GC riders anyway. I'm going to assume that Yates has had asthma for some time now.

If they are going to say that he's had asthma for years, it will be interesting to hear what his medication and tue history is. Has he had tues for terbutaline at earlier points, for instance.

laurensde+ said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
laurensde+ said:
Nah, it's typical Daily Mail stirring. No other paper would run the story as there isn't one.

How is a young British star getting an adverse finding not a story? Just because Orica seem to have expected that the authorities would grant him a retrospective tue or deal with the issue secretly in some other way doesn't mean that there's no story here.

In fact, Orica's apparent expectation that this would simply be dealt with secretly seems to me to be a story in itself.

British star gets adverse finding, team claim it was an administrative error and expected to have it dealt with on the quiet is a story any British paper would run.

laurensde+ said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
laurensde+ said:

You're entitled to your opinion but you're certainly in the minority.

The hundreds of comments posted here since the "news" broke says this is a big story...

TOWITUE

Clenbuterol, salbutamol, now this. Seems like asthma drugs are running rampant in the peloton. Torn. On one side, exercise-induced-asthma is most definitely a thing. On the other side, the performance benefits seem to be clear.

Also, as far as asthma medications go, Terbutaline seems a bit exotic. Maybe it's all the rage in Australia?

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
The Hitch said:
samhocking said:
laurensde+ said:
Standard Daily Hatemail bs then. Phew.
What else do you expect? There's never any substance to anything in that paper. They grab a quote out of context and blow it up to create a news story, just like what they're trying to do with BC & Sutton at the moment.
Did you come accross the story that the bike shop where Shane Sutton was living was selling the Sky gear that went missing?

Or you going to find a way to discredit that too?

Just in case you missed it: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/28/british-cycling-wills-wheels-shane-sutton-gb-kit

The Hitch said:
samhocking said:
laurensde+ said:
What else do you expect? There's never any substance to anything in that paper. They grab a quote out of context and blow it up to create a news story, just like what they're trying to do with BC & Sutton at the moment.
Did you come accross the story that the bike shop where Shane Sutton was living was selling the Sky gear that went missing?

Until you know what version of the kit was sold, it means nothing. All you know so far is £10K of kit is alleged to have been sold. If you've ever seen how cycling kit and equipment is booked in and out to you as a rider or staff at British Cycling, you'll be doubtful this is even a story. All the BC or Sky kit on Ebay i've seen for sale is not actually current. It might be unused, but it's not what the riders are currently using.

Cannibal72 said:
The Hitch said:
samhocking said:
laurensde+ said:

Just in case you missed it: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/28/british-cycling-wills-wheels-shane-sutton-gb-kit
Let's keep to the topic at hand please.

Sutton doesn't play into this story, yet...

Zinoviev Letter said:
laurensde+ said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
laurensde+ said:

British star gets adverse finding, team claim it was an administrative error and expected to have it dealt with on the quiet is a story any British paper would run.

On the quiet? How about following due process? This should never have come out at this stage of the investigation.

Has the bit about how the medication was listed on his form when he took the test just gone over everyone's head?

What a genius way that would be to avoid suspicion. :rolleyes:

He hasn't even been suspended because the medication provides virtually no performance benefit whatsoever.

This is a complete non-story. If there is something to be investigated it's why was this leaked by British Cycling in the first place. If I was Simon Yates I'd be consulting my lawyers on that matter.

The Hitch said:
samhocking said:
laurensde+ said:

It's already been discredited, Hitch.

JRanton said:
Has the bit about how the medication was listed on his form when he took the test just gone over everyone's head?

What a genius way that would be to avoid suspicion. :rolleyes:

He hasn't even been suspended because the medication provides virtually no performance benefit whatsoever.

This is a complete non-story. If there is something to be investigated it's why was this leaked by British Cycling in the first place. If I was Simon Yates I'd be consulting my lawyers on that matter.
Who says he didn't throw it in when he realized he was totes glowing at the time of the test?

If you want to use this PED, get a TUE. I'm not even asking for a legit one at this point, just get the frickin' TUE.

it's a non story. Of course no one wishes to discuss the most important issue. That all AAFS are supposed to remain private. It's a disgrace that British Cycling has leaked this information to divert attention from their internal issues. A rubbish organisation.

Re:

carton said:
Also, as far as asthma medications go, Terbutaline seems a bit exotic. Maybe it's all the rage in Australia?

That was my thought too. I have moderate asthma - I was diagnosed when I was 3 years old, have been on daily inhalers since 7 or so, I've needed an ambulance to A&E several times. For urgent relief of symptoms I've never had anything other than salbutamol. When I was in ER it was still salbutamol, but delivered through a mask/nebuliser in higher doses. I've lived in Ireland and the USA, and salbutamol was the standard treatment in both. It also doesn't need a TUE, unless you're taking doses that you'd only need if you were very sick (sorry Diego Ulissi).

So if you don't need a TUE for salbutamol, why take terbutaline? Any asthmatics here have first hand experience of it? Maybe it has other side effects? Clenbuterol was another asthma drug, but it's not used any more because of its other side effects like increased heart rate and weight loss (sorry Alberto Contador). I looked it up and apparently terbutaline isn't available in the USA any more. So at least one major country doesn't think it's a suitable asthma drug.

The TUE abuse thing annoys me - I do (very low level) amateur racing and don't want to be accused of exaggerating or faking my illness, an illness that had a serious effect on my childhood (and could have killed me 2 or 3 times), for some small performance benefit. The people calling for asthma drugs to be banned in competition annoy me even more - it's bad enough there's this wheezing nerd stereotype, now you want to kick people with a treatable condition out of sport? There's a history of insulin abuse in cycling (sorry Marco Pantani) but you don't hear people calling for Team Novo Nordisk to be thrown out of the sport.

Re:

markene2 said:
Makes you wonder how many positives that lacks TUE's gets resolved silently by the UCI in a year, i bet it aint just a few.

You can get an idea from:
https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/wada_2013_anti-doping_testing_figures_report_en.pdf

Page 21 of the pdf file has the cycling data:
In total 9472 samples (blood + urine) 165 Atypical findings, 133 Adverse Analytical Findings
(the vast majority of these being on the road)

Not sure how many bans were given in 2013, but that will give you an idea on the number of TUEs issued.
Basically, an AAF should lead to a case unless there is a TUE in place.

How many were actually in place, and how many quickly resolved after the fact (which is not WADA compliant for elite athletes) is a good question, but there is no way to find out.