• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lefevere Got a Lawyer!!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
images

DonMI6 said:
If it is the case that Quintana (& Rolland for that matter) deliberately passed the official moto displaying a flag, surely there must be a sanction against them. Riders have been DQ'd for less. I'd hate to see the race decided in a courtroom.

Does it matter whether or not is was deliberate? The fact of the matter is that Quintana made his time gap during the descent while the peloton was descending en groupe. The obvious decision would be to reverse his advantage, but that won't happen as the "organisation" doesn't want to lose face.

Netserk said:
That's Vuillemoz and Pantano.
It also looks like the exit of tornante 6 (judging by the way the road kicks out on the apex unlike the earlier left-handers 2 and 4) so the moto could easily just be waving them to go through here.

There doesn't need to be an inconsistency here: we're only talking ~1500m to turn 6, even if the moto kept a steady pace then the guys in the front will be racing again very soon without passing a red flag. Those who 'pitted while the safety car was out' had in reality very little time to make the catch.

edit: unless they did pass the moto as Marco Velo says, I dunno

May 23, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
true. organizers fault but that's it, people make sometimes mistakes.

now to be completely honest, a leader of the race with instincts of a champion, ruthless, alpha male, mobster like hinault or armstrong for instance would never let his guard down like uran did.

well at least everyone will learn something from this.

This is dead on.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Ullrich is drunk said:
Then shut your mouth then. Clearly there is evidence of people overtaking a motobike with a red flag on the descent, so my post has relevance to the thread and yours have not.

Did Ryo get banned again?

Quintana sayd HE DID NOT SEE the motorbike with the flag during the descent, when there are multiple photos of him behind a moto with a comissaire holding said flag. There was no way he did not see the bike while it was in front of his group for at least the first 7 bends of the descent. He shot himself in the foot right there. Should have chosen a better excuse. Now that it is clear there was a neutralisation, I can only see fit that Quintana and the rest get the time they got on the descent taken.

Lefevere - as a worried DS with integrity - has all the reason in the world to protest. And what is this rubbish saying Urán should not have let Quintana get away? That he totally deserved what he got because he lacked a winner instinct ? The stage was supposedely neutralised, why on earth should he follow? All those shoulds, all those hypothetical situations... Like a poster eloquentely said in the race thread, if you cannot trust the race organisers, then it becomes total anarchy.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
What a baby Lefevere is, sounds to me like he's just mad that his rider lost pink.

While there's no doubt the race organization screwed up, what does he expect them to do now? reverse all the time gaps and make it like the stage never happened? Honestly, he should just grow up, stop whining, and get on with the race.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
BigMac said:
Quintana sayd HE DID NOT SEE the motorbike with the flag during the descent, when there are multiple photos of him behind a moto with a comissaire holding said flag. There was no way he did not see the bike while it was in front of his group for at least the first 7 bends of the descent. He shot himself in the foot right there. Should have chosen a better excuse. Now that it is clear there was a neutralisation, I can only see fit that Quintana and the rest get the time they got on the descent taken.

Lefevere - as a worried DS with integrity - has all the reason in the world to protest. And what is this rubbish saying Urán should not have let Quintana get away? That he totally deserved what he got because he lacked a winner instinct ? The stage was supposedely neutralised, why on earth should he follow? All those shoulds, all those hypothetical situations... Like a poster eloquentely said in the race thread, if you cannot trust the race organisers, then it becomes total anarchy.

Rolland has said the same thing, so maybe there is some substance behind the claim they didn't see a flag.

I can see how it would be difficult to see the flag from how he describes it.
“No, I didn’t see because I was busy enough trying to figure out my own trajectory on slippery roads,” he said. “You can imagine how it is at an altitude 2700 metres, in all that snow – you see motorbikes alright but personally I didn’t notice any red flag.”

In the picture posted up thread, it's also seems to be snowing, which makes it harder to see things. And no doubt the moto would have had to put the flag down every now and then to put both hands on the bars to take a slick corner. If the moto was far up the road from the riders (not wanting to accidentally go down on a corner and have the riders right behind him) then it would make the flag harder to see.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
BigMac said:
<snipped>

Lefevere - as a worried DS with integrity - has all the reason in the world to protest.

<snipped>

This is quite possibly the first time in the history of the world that anyone has ever called Lefevere a person "with integrity."

BigMac said:

LOL!
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2010
Visit site
What a stupid idea.

Quintana is in pink on merit.

Uran or Evans or somebody else would have seen Quintana go on the descent (if they didn't then they should have) and it doesn't matter what the race radio is saying if your main rival goes up the road you follow him.

I believe Quintana didn't know about the neutralisation on the descent and he attacked. Once that happens then its game on for me.

Any time penalties for Quintana make a joke of the event organisers and make a joke of Uran if he accepts the race leaders jersey back when he knows he doesn't deserve it.

UlleGigo said:
What a stupid idea.

Quintana is in pink on merit.

Uran or Evans or somebody else would have seen Quintana go on the descent (if they didn't then they should have) and it doesn't matter what the race radio is saying if your main rival goes up the road you follow him (1).

I believe Quintana didn't know about the neutralisation on the descent and he attacked. Once that happens then its game on for me.

Any time penalties for Quintana make a joke of the event organisers and make a joke of Uran if he accepts the race leaders jersey back when he knows he doesn't deserve it. (2)

1 - No. You have to obey. This is not the Banana Republic. You do what the organisers tell you to do, period. Absolutely no point in following your rival when the race is supposedely neutralised.

2 - The organisers made a joke out of themselves to start with. Time penalties on Quintana and the rest that went it him is the only descent way of try and put this whole patethic situation back on track.

BigMac said:
1 - No. You have to obey. This is not the Banana Republic. You do what the organisers tell you to do, period. Absolutely no point in following your rival when the race is supposedely neutralised.

2 - The organisers made a joke out of themselves to start with. Time penalties on Quintana and the rest that went it him is the only descent way of try and put this whole patethic situation back on track.

Come on, this isn't a kindergarten where toys are dished out just because a group of people are unhappy.

Lefevere. Integrity.

I'll admit I laughed for several minutes before managing to come here to make this post.

If there's one person in cycling who is the furthest possible from 'integrity', it's the cancer known as Patrick Lefevere.
I strongly suggest to the person who made that funny post that they should learn a bit more about him. If fans could vote just one single person out of the sport to help clean it up, Lefevere would win the vote by a landslide

May 19, 2010
Visit site
That's what you get for attacking Unzués man when he has a flat in the Tour. Days, weeks and months goes by, and everything is calm. Then, when you think you are safe, in the snow on Stelvio, the scorpion says hello.