• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LeMond's letter to McQuaid

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
roadfreak44 said:
Lets be clear about something ..........

When some says it is fact without producing those facts you know they are full of it.

Dude take off the yellow bracelet, it keeps hitting random keys and typing complete BS!

Let me just say that LeMond earns huge props for speaking his mind.

Also, the main daily newspaper in Finland also picked up the story, FWIW: http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/Greg+LeMond+vaatii+pyöräilypomojen+pikaista+eroa/a1305609763251

I think the assesment that corruption is the main problem is spot on. Corruption is that which ensures that the doping culture is reproduced era after another. Sure, they blend, but nonetheless this is the correct view of the causation between the two even if it is drugs that initiated the corruption historically.

B_Ugli said:
The most effective way for this to go forward (with the Kimmage fund) would be a template letter that people can send to their National Federations threatening to pull their membership etc for 2013 unless their federations push for the immediate resignation of McQuaid and Verbruggen.

It wouldnt be difficult for such a letter to be translated into all languages!

Like someone else indicated - without their funding the UCI is toast.

The UCI makes a large amount of its budget from the world championships. Find a way to affect that and it would put extreme pressure on the UCI. If the World Tour pro riders boycotted it then the UCI is toast.

Smart play by Greg. Another legal letter would have gone to the UCI lawyers. But watch the rabid pitbull dogs of the McQuaid family come out to play. They can’t help themselves when they’re attacked at their ankles.

They really are a motley bunch those McQuaid’s.

Pat is gone also. An attack on his common decency will really get to him. It hurts.

BroDeal said:
The UCI makes a large amount of its budget from the world championships. Find a way to affect that and it would put extreme pressure on the UCI. If the World Tour pro riders boycotted it then the UCI is toast.

National federations can easily boycott those. But who is ready to wait a full year to make a statement?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Smart play by Greg. Another legal letter would have gone to the UCI lawyers. But watch the rabid pitbull dogs of the McQuaid family come out to play. They can’t help themselves when they’re attacked at their ankles.

They really are a motley bunch those McQuaid’s.

Pat is gone also. An attack on his common decency will really get to him. It hurts.

Exactly - and it would not surprise me if Greg had a few "Uncle Arthurs" so it was in plain language that his target audience might understand.

Greg got a quick lesson on how the social media works - maybe the cub McQuaid could send a friend request and ask Greg for some lessons.

BroDeal said:

The pro riders will go where the UCI leads. Only a few of them have the balls to even talk about the real isssues in any kind of meaningful way. If they won't talk, they certainly won't act. A boycott is a pipe dream. I can't imagine Alpuerto Clenbutador boycotting anything.

I still remember the riders' protests after Festina.

LeMond has it right when he talks about UCI membership as a catalyst for change. The only thing the UCI will hear is money talking.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
race radio

Thanks for that info. I had heard offers were made, but never to whom. This also raises.the issue of potentially soliciting perjury if the bribed statements were to be in affidavit form and.possibly lead to perjured court testimony. LA is an ever more amazing scumbag, to borrow a term from Paddy.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
When some says it is fact without producing those facts you know they are full of it.

Dude take off the yellow bracelet, it keeps hitting random keys and typing complete BS!

instead of attacking the messenger (a la armstrong) why don't you address the issues raised by roadfreak?

being lemond's fanboy does take you to the same level as an LA one..

thegripo said:
instead of attacking the messenger (a la armstrong) why don't you address the issues raised by roadfreak?

being lemond's fanboy does take to the same level as an LA one..
and yet you have just done the same???

lol! nice try :D

Benotti69 is full of facts. if you actually read his posts, you might learn something.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
do you think that CN used the Greg Lemond photo that included Delgado as some kind of sign. Maybe another photo of Greg with Fignon, who admitted doping as he also neared death. I ma sure Lemond had this letter laying around for years but decided the time was right with Lance standing on the tracks as the train in approaching. It is probably hard for CN and others to find lots of stock photos that don't include riders that have somehow been involved in doping.
ASO,Lemond,and the UCI are all making a colossal mistake by leaving the names blank and as Lemond and the rest have repeated "truth" in some form or another. If you want cycling to be real shake the tree a little harder. This shake has made uncaught dopers all over the world come out. Do a little more testing and lets see what happens.No Vaughters slap on the wrist technique, lets get some more truth, White, Barry,Holestol, Kjaergaad's are just a start.
With Riis, White and Holestol they all were selected by their home federations to work with young riders, maybe those roots should be explored also.

I know Greg it was everybody else, like your ex-roommate Laurent. Lets get to testing!!!

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
thirteen said:
and yet you have just done the same???

lol! nice try :D

Benotti69 is full of facts. if you actually read his posts, you might learn something.

no at all, i'm not arguing that benotti69 is right or wrong, or his facts on previous posts.

that's all irrelevant to the issues roadfreak lists about lemond.

(before you attack about being pro lancearmstrong, i believe he deserves everything he's getting)

still, it seems very hypocritical to avoid asking the same questions about Lemond, specifically raising him to a pedestal of purity and refusing to question anything lemond (same as it used to be with LA)

* his "increible" performances (ie his 1st tour), beating admitted dopers.
* considering his "never tested positive" argument as invalid as Lances, Hincapie's and many others.
* ignoring USADA mistakes and putting ALL blame on UCI (eventhough UCI/verbruggen/mcquaid are no doubt corrupt and incompetent)

fatandfast said:
do you think that CN used the Greg Lemond photo that included Delgado as some kind of sign. Maybe another photo of Greg with Fignon, who admitted doping as he also neared death. I ma sure Lemond had this letter laying around for years but decided the time was right with Lance standing on the tracks as the train in approaching. It is probably hard for CN and others to find lots of stock photos that don't include riders that have somehow been involved in doping.
ASO,Lemond,and the UCI are all making a colossal mistake by leaving the names blank and as Lemond and the rest have repeated "truth" in some form or another. If you want cycling to be real shake the tree a little harder. This shake has made uncaught dopers all over the world come out. Do a little more testing and lets see what happens.No Vaughters slap on the wrist technique, lets get some more truth, White, Barry,Holestol, Kjaergaad's are just a start.
With Riis, White and Holestol they all were selected by their home federations to work with young riders, maybe those roots should be explored also.

I know Greg it was everybody else, like your ex-roommate Laurent. Lets get to testing!!!

There was an ex teammate on this forum a few weeks back, who said he was as sure as one could be that LeMond didn't use PEDs. That's not something, Rubiera excluded, ex teammates of Armstrong have said.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Props to Lemond. He inspired me to contribute to Kimmage's defense fund.

Keep it going guys, true cycling fans support the revolution. The time for Vaughter's breakaway league has never been more ripe.

Fat Jack Fan said:
Does anyone know how to start an on-line petition regarding dumping Steve Johnson from USA Cycling?

Could someone like Bob Stapleton restore its credibility?

As it sits now USA Cycling won't be receiving any more money from me or our club.

Not going to happen. Wiesel owns USA Cycling and Johnson gets his coffee. If you could get rid of Wiesel and his friends, dismember USACDF you'd be off to a decent start.

You could try to get Gerard Bisceglia back??? http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/bisceglia-fires-back-at-usa-cycling-and-ochowicz

There was a petition at the time to keep Mr. Bisceglia on, but it got maybe 12 signatures? That tells you volumes of what the majority of USAC members think.

Wiesel has split the federation in two. One, is a largely secret USACDF that takes most of USAC member revenue and then uses it to "tithe" Pro Cycling like the Och example above. The other is the actual officiating portion that has many more rules to minimize corruption, but doesn't handle any development or control revenue.

The U.S. federation is funded by USOC too, so one year will not make a dent. Frankly, the only people that will be hurt are the grass roots officials and promoters.

It's too easy to sit here and point out flaws though. I'm as happy as the rest that Greg's taken it to the next level. I've got an idea that needs some time to develop that would properly nullify USAC.